Missing my System32 folder!?!

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah, I was looking around my windows folder in my c drive, and realized my system32 folder is missing. I haven't touched it eversince I reformatted my harddrive. Is it possible to retrive it somehow? I'm guessin, probably not. But any help is appreciated.

**Ok, I tried the tools show hidden, no luck. I also tried to find it in all the other folders in case it was mis-placed somehow or something. I also tried the search option to no avail. I know that without my system 32 folder, windows wouldn't run right if at all.
I then tried manually writing in the directory in my toolbar thing, and it worked... however it's still invisible in my windows folder.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you type the actual address in your address bar, you should be able to access it.

C:\WINNT\system32
or
C:\Windows\system32
or
C:\Windows\system\system32

The option to you should pay attention to is "Hide Protected System Files".

I never heard of someone losing that folder before.. Windows would complain quick.

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah it's weird, I did that and it works fine, (typing in my toolbar the entire directory) but if I tried to find the folder in my WINDOWS folder it wont find it. If I tried to create a new file folder named system32, it won't let me saying the folder already exists, and it won't let me over-write it.
I guess everything is fine, it's just a hassle to manually type in the entire directory just to reach my system32 folder. I might actually reformat my system... again... if this problem keeps up. I don't like my system being this way... heheh.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's not a problem to format for. Have you tried arranging the folders by alpha order? A folder just doesn't disappear, because it *is* there. There must be an option somewhere that's not showing it to you.

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah, I tried re-arranging them and the folder options. I did almost everything imaginable. I even ran outside wearing a tutu flying a kite with a key attached to the string during a lightning storm figuring if I did somethin drastic, it'll show up. But no dice.
I pretty much looked over the folder options menu with surgical precision, and couldn't find a way to reveal my 'missing' system32 folder. All my other folders are showing fine even my hidden ones except for my system32. It's like a ghost folder, only appearing when you type it in manually.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, when I manually type in the directory, and I go into my system32 folder and I right click, it says the file folder is hidden. It is shaded in the greyish color so I can't unselect it as hidden. It's permanently hidden or something. Even when I try 'view hidden folders' it still doesn't show up. It's weird cause this hasn't happened to me before where any of my folders just all of a sudden turn uber hidden.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wierd.

Have you installed *any* program in the last few days? And, why do you need your System32 to show?

Are you using Windows XP?

leecho7

Partition Master
I did recently install the newest version of Microsoft Office. Maybe that could be it? Well, the reason why I want my system32 folder to show is it would be more conveniant for me to edit my host file in the driver folder. The reason so being is, well honestly to play certain games on 'not-so-public' servers.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Go into tools/folder options and make sure the "display contents of system folders" checkbox is checked. If it isn't the system 32 folder won't be seen...

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah, I did check that 'Display system and it's folders' thing, ran several virus scanners which turned up nothing. Still can't see the folder.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Your Windows must not like you :(

I'm lost man.. I've never heard of that happening before. *Possibly* you have a trojan or something that's not detected.

U

Unregistered

It's there, it just doesn't show. Your option in Tools/Options "Hide important system files" is checked. When you uncheck it, it shows system32, but it's still hidden and can't be unattributed. Delete regedit.com (not .exe!) and reboot. Should work fine now...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unregistered said:
It's there, it just doesn't show. Your option in Tools/Options "Hide important system files" is checked. When you uncheck it, it shows system32, but it's still hidden and can't be unattributed. Delete regedit.com (not .exe!) and reboot. Should work fine now...

What's regedit.com? I've never seen it before.

U

Unregistered

My System32 folder is not showing either

i agree it has to be a virus that has hidden the folder so u cant delete the virus file mines been this way for bout a month now does anyone know any virus that could hide a folder from view

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've personally never heard of this before. I would definitely try more than one virii scanner though, and Spyware checkers as well.

U

Unregistered

yes

it is a virus i have the same problem i know cuz i executed a exe file that was thought to be something it wasn't and then after scanning it detected a worm virus. i cleaned mostly all of the virus cept the system32 folder still does not show up, but is there. any suggestions ?

U

Unregistered

still not resolved

the hide protected operating system files does feature does not work i even tried to reset all folder and even restore defaults , but the folder still does not display. there must be a reggistry entry somewhere dictating this behavior.

U

Unregistered

xoft log

i used xoft to detect/remove this worm virus here is the log:

<FOLDER PATH = "Gaobot Worm C:\Program Files\winupdates"/>

<FILE PATH = "Gaobot Worm C:\Program Files\winupdates\a.tmp"/>

<FILE PATH = "Gaobot Worm C:\Program Files\winupdates\a.zip"/>

<FILE PATH = "Gaobot Worm C:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Mugly - C:\WINDOWS\system32\bszip.dll"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Alcan.A - C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Alcan.A - C:\WINDOWS\system32\netstat.com"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Alcan.A - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.com"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Alcan.A - C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Alcan.A - C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.com"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Alcan.A - C:\WINDOWS\system32\tasklist.com"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Alcan.A - C:\WINDOWS\system32\tracert.com"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining Folder Gaobot Worm - C:\Program Files\winupdates"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Gaobot Worm - C:\Program Files\winupdates\a.tmp"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Gaobot Worm - C:\Program Files\winupdates\a.zip"/>

<QInformation Message = "Quarantining File Gaobot Worm - C:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe"/>

<SW NAME = "Default Windows Settings">
<REGVALUE RES = "Deleting Register Value Changed" />
<REGVALUE RES = "Register Values Successfully Changed"/>
</SW>

<SW NAME = "Windows Update Features Disabled">

<REGVALUE RES = "Deleting Register Value Changed" />

<REGVALUE RES = "Register Values Successfully Changed"/>
</SW>

<SW NAME = "Mugly">
<FILE NAME = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\bszip.dll"/>

<FILE RES = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\bszip.dll Successfully ReMoved"/>
</SW>