Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 4000

Jon

Obliviot
Hey Rob, This is what i got now.. I installed everything on my laptop and the volume key worked but when i put it on my pc they don't. So what i need to try it is put the old keyboard on here again and install everything and try uninstalling it maybe everything didn't uninstall right thats what i think.

U

Unregistered

Keyboard function

I have also purchased this keyboard and mouse for use with XP Home. My question pertains to the zoom slider on the keyboard.Is this a function specifically for Vista? On XP moving the slider causes the screen contents to move up or down.
Thanks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That should work with XP just fine, but you will need to make sure the proper driver (the one that came with the keyboard) is installed. Then under the configuration, you should be able to adjust what the slider will do. By default in Vista it's probably the zoom, while in XP it's just to scroll up and down... since that feature wasn't too popular back then.

Z

z-dog

hello guys,

I've just bought the wireless laser desktop mouse and keyboard set (the one with the 'calendar' key and not the 'gadgets') while I was visiting another country. it's not mentioned on the box that it supports vista but the guy in the shop said I just need to download the latest version of the software from microsoft's website. after downloading the software and installing it with no problems, the keyboard and the mouse work but not perfectly.

- ctrl/shift/alt + 'any key' don't properly from the first time; I have to press them for a second time.
- the zoom slider, the favorite, my documents and calendar buttons don't work at all.
- the cursor is not accurate and a bit deviant.
- everything else is alright.

the sticker on the back of the keyboard indicates 'microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 1.0A' (and not 4000), and 'wireless optical mouse 2.0' on the back of the mouse. note that both can be found in the list of each software.

is it a compatibility problem with vista?

thanks in advance for your time and help.

R

Rick

Missing Function Key?

My Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 4000 seems to be missing a full screen function key. It was or is usually F11, am I right? This function does not seem to be available. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rick

U

Unregistered

I am absolutely astounded as to why not a single person has not mentioned the range of this "wireless" keyboard & mouse combo. The range is 6 FEET! What a useless twat of a product if it can reach only as far as the wired version! Not only that, but I have perused the M$ website & google & can't find a spec on this either. Bollocks to this product, but also to the reviewer for not ever mentioning range. As well, I have had many reception issues when within 3-4' but the receiver is hidden behind some books. This is Shite to deal with in 2010. I know this ain't no Bluetooth, but come on.

U

Unregistered

Microsoft 4000 laser wirelesss keyboard and mouse

My employer recently purchased a few Microsoft 4000 laser wirelesss keyboard and mouse and I am having problems connecting to computers that are joinde through KVM switches. The KVM switches have two USB ports: One for keyboard and one for mouse. This particular device has only one USB connector for both. I tried connecting the USB connector to the keyboard connector on the KVM switch and it did not work (keyboard nor mouse) then I tried connecting into the mouse USB port and got the same result. The computers run on XP and I have gone to the Microsoft website as well as done some Googling and can not find a potential solution to this problem. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
How does the KVM switch connect to the computers? If it uses PS/2 connections then there is nothing you can do, you would need the keyboard/mouse to each have their own USB connection.

If the KVM switch connects via USB to the computers then it should work, if it does not then it is likely an issue with how the KVM switch passes through the signals and again I don't think this can be worked around.

Only thing I can recommend is to simply plug the mouse/keyboard into each computer you wish to switch to and leave the monitor hooked up to the KVM switch.

U

Unregistered

computer not sleeping

i just bought the wireless desktop 4000 and it won't allow my computer to go into sleep mode, using either the keyboard shortcut or using the button on the start menu. the computer powers down to sleep mode and then instantly revives to normal mode. very strange. anyone know how to resolve this?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
You computer is probably only going into a high level sleep mode, effectively idle, and sensitive mice have a habit of breaking that state with the simplest vibration on the desk. You'll probably need to change the sleep state to a lower level, such as S3 or S5 - this is done through the BIOS, or you could hibernate as well. This will drop the PC into a much lower power state and disable external devices, typically, you have to use the system power button to turn it back on. Some BIOS's will have options for power-on, such as wake-on-lan, wake-on-keyboard, wake-on-device, etc. You may get some options in your OS, but typically, it's the motherboard that has the final say.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm not on a Windows machine at the moment, so I can't check, but under the advanced power configuration, I believe there are options to disable the mouse from being able to wake up the PC. I jump to conclusions that it's the mouse, at least, because unless a key is pressed, a keyboard should never wake up a PC.

U

Unregistered

ms wireless comfort 4000 - zoom slider switch

Glad I found this site. Here is my situation. Had XP Pro and now just installed 7 Pro. I loved the "zoom slider speaker volume function" that I used to have on the XP installation. However, I cannot find it on 7. I did note that it frequently 'fell out' on XP, and going to keyboard on the start menu and clicking 'restore default settings' or something similiar would 'reinstall' the function. Can anyone suggest how I can get this on with Win 7 ? Thank you, hrgutman@aol.com