Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 4000

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Microsoft recently announced an update to their Wireless Optical Desktop 4000 with the primary difference being updates for Vista and also the inclusion of a Laser mouse. We are taking a fresh look at this updated product to see if it's worth your $80.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

U

Unregistered

No Auto Sleep mode with desktop 4000

I enjoy my MS wireless optical desktop 4000 and I have one on my Dell Laptop and just installed one on my new HP Vista PC. However on the HP the desktop 4000 will not allow the PC to go into sleep mode automaticly. There is no option in Device Manager to allow putting the PC to sleep. The option to not allow wake up this there but not the option to put the PC to sleep. Anyone have a fix?
THanks,
John

MacMan

Partition Master
Microsoft Laser 4000

Great article Rob.

Even though I doubt I will ever buy that particular Microsoft keyboard combination, I still enjoyed the piece. I enjoyed it because I have been using Microsoft mice and trackballs for about six years now. The software is not the greatest perhaps (but hey, its Microsoft, what did you expect?) but I have found them to be rugged and reliable..

I Infact, the mouse I am using now I have been using since 2001.... six years and still going strong! I see no need to buy another since this one works as good as the day I bought it. :)

imjohn

Obliviot
Wireless signal problems with 4000 Mouse & Keyboard

I've been using the 4000 for about a month now and am very satisfied . . . when it works.
Lately I've been having problems with signal reception from both the keyboard and the mouse. Occasionally I get a warning pop-up stating that the keyboard signal quality is low and giving me the option to troubleshoot or ignore. I've tried both and either way the pop-up disappears and the keyboard continues to work ok. When I go to the Microsoft Keyboard program, it shows my wireless battery and signal quality as both being good. So, even though the keyboard warnings are annoying it continues working ok.

NOT SO with the mouse. I never get a warning about the mouse's signal quality; however, I'm having a problem with the mouse functions. The main problem is with left-clicking (single or double). That signal is not being received and nothing happens. I've moved the receiver onto my mouse pad between the keyboard and the remaining mouse area and I still have theproblem if I move the mouse a short distance from the receiver (like 5/6"). (It does not occur all the time, but way too often.) When I notice that nothing is happening, I can move the mouse next to the receiver and it receives the left-click ok.

I open the Microsoft Mouse program and it informs me that the battery level is good and the signal level is high, but the problem remains. Even though I'm told the batteries are ok, I replaced them anyway . . . to no avail.

Anybody have any ideas ?

John

U

Unregistered

Wireless mouse died!

I've been using the Microsoft desktop desktop 4000 for a little more than a mouse. and suddenly it died. the keyboard's fine. but the mouse is on, batteries are fully charged and the connection is perfectly fine. but why can't it move.?!

J

Jean-Raoul

Left-clicking problems with Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000

Hi,
I got exacly the same problem with my Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. Sometimes the left-click does not respond and my Windows XP seems to be locked. I tried to google a solution for that without success. If you have any ideas to solve this problem, I will appreciate.
Thanks

Jean-Raoul

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sorry I can't help you guys... I gave this kit to a family member once the review was done and it's still kicking. Sounds like some foolish problem though... one that we've just happened to somehow avoid.

P

Paul In SF

regarding scroll wheel lag

You mentioned in the review a lag in the scroll wheel that causes the page to keep scrolling after you stop moving the wheel. I have noticed that in other MS mouses, and it seems to be a function of the software. I found that the mouse worked fine once I uninstalled the software program that came with the mouse (or if I never installed that software).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh good catch. Next time I seem to have that problem, I will uninstall the driver and see if that fixes things. Still, a foolish workaround though. The drivers should make the experience better, not worse.

Wireless Laser Desktop 4000

I just received the microsoft wireless laser desktop 4000 with the laser mouse 5000. I got the mouse to work but cannot get the keyboard to work. I am running windows xp pro if that helps. I have uninstalled twice and reinstalled it, also tried different usb ports which didn't help.
I would appreciate any help.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, that's interesting. The keyboard doesn't work at -all-? It should have come with a purple USB-to-PS/2 converter... I would try that out and see if you are still stuck with the same problem. If so, chances are that the keyboard is DOA.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh, interesting. Most USB keyboards I've had have included the adapter, but I suppose since this one runs through it's own receiver... it's a different story. If you have the packaging from another USB keyboard, it might have the adapter. Still not sure that will help though. Hope you can get this sorted out.

Jon

Obliviot
Hey everyone, I just bought a new keyboard and mouse it's a MS Wireless Laser Desktop 4000. I bought it saturday and hooked it up and found out the the volume buttons on it don't work. So i took it back to Wal-Mart ( fall apart ) and got the some one, It does the same thing.

I have Windows XP Home, I have uninstalled & reinstalled so many times and it still don't work, Ran spy bot, ad-aware and avast and still NO VOLUME buttons, i know that there and 4 other ways of turning up and down the volume but it's the case of i bought this for $70.00 and everything should work on it....

Is there anything else i can do be4 i have to take this one back??

Thanks,
Jon

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's odd. Did you install the drivers that came with the keyboard? Even without those, the volume should work, though.

Jon

Obliviot
That's odd. Did you install the drivers that came with the keyboard? Even without those, the volume should work, though.

Yes, i took the cd outta the case and installed & uninstalled this 3 times. Even went as far as downloading it from Microsoft and installing that one also.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is that there is another application installed that's messing with your keyboard configuration. Are you using anything that might effect that?

Did you happen to try a different USB port as well? Seems unlikely that would make a difference at all, but stranger things have happened.

Jon

Obliviot
Yes i have tried another USB port, another thing is that i had another wireless keyboard hooked up and that one ( GE Product ) the volume buttons worked on that one but then i got this one and they don't work. I can't think of anything that might be effecting this problem.

Jon

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I guess the last thing to check would be going into the keyboard configuration and making sure that those buttons are indeed set up to increase/decrease the volume.

I really can't think of another solution, so it might be time to hit up Microsoft support :-/