Microsoft Bringing Hyper-V Support to Windows 8

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Proving that virtualization can be for more than just the enterprise, Microsoft has announced that it will be including Hyper-V support in all versions of Windows 8. First introduced with Windows Server 2008, Hyper-V is Microsoft's hypervisor that allows you to install all recent versions of Windows and some versions of Linux to a virtual machine, with both 32-bit and 64-bit OSes supported.

hyper_v_support_windows_8_090711.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Okay, I admit it, with each passing post about Win 8 capabilities, I am becoming further intrigued by it and considering a purchase. I think will take a cautious approach though and wait to see what the reviews say, but to say I'm no longer considering it, is no longer true for me.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Very cool. We have the setup here at work since they moved a few of us to 7 and deal with a lot of customers who still have XP. It's great to be able just to fire up XP and see what they're seeing or to try and recreate a problem they are having and then develop a fix.

marfig

No ROM battery
It is. But lets see how much of this gets dropped before release time. Something Microsoft is remembered for is announcing features that later get dropped.

All good news for sure. But when it comes to Windows, the years have invariable hardened me into a skeptic prick. I'll place my bets after the draw.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
So you can virtualize linux from windows, but installing windows or linux after the other still fucks the formers install.

And let's be honest, how many of us want to virt linux from windows instead of windows from linux? Really...

I know I am still VERY new to linux, but um... wtf?

marfig

No ROM battery
And let's be honest, how many of us want to virt linux from windows instead of windows from linux? Really...

*raises hand*

Anyways, forgetting all that can be said about virtualization that can pose a problem to your scenario, don't you agree that this is first and foremost a matter of which operating you have as your main one?