Microsoft Announces $39.99 Upgrade Promo Pricing for Windows 8

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You are having bad luck. I didn't experience any of those issues with the beta. And what do you mean it "broke" the machine?

Edit: Look at me defending Windows! LOL

madmat

Soup Nazi
I mean it refused to load. I had to do a wipe/reload to get windows working again. Pitiful.

Then there's the fact that there are no games whatsoever on it. Nothing, no solitaire, checkers, nada.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Well, that went poorly. The Virtualbox software caused my PC to hiccup at the USB ports every so often and the mouse would stop responding. It only happened when Virtualbox wasn't running which is odd to say the least. I uninstalled it last night and my mouse hasn't stopped responding at all since.

madmat

Soup Nazi
As soon as I installed VB I heard duhn-dunk (the windows sound you hear when you unplug something USB) and my mouse would quit working for a bit and then pick back up. When I was in 8 on VB it wouldn't do it. Now that I've uninstalled VB it doesn't do it except in Skyrim (yeah I reinstalled it) which is really pissing me off.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
That's weird, but weird happens a lot with computers. VirtualBox is a very neat tool. I use it a lot.

With 8, I felt like it was a bit difficult to find programs (like calculator). And where is the shut down button? Do you have to sign out before you can shut down?!

madmat

Soup Nazi
The shutdown button is in the full list view in the app menu. Personally I think they've made it too cryptic. All the garbage you've got to go through to get anywhere.