Lucid Enables Quick Sync Using Discrete Graphics On Sandy Bridge

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
This year's CES certainly had its share of innovations and we haven't even scratched the surface! Earlier last week, Intel officially kicked off their Sandy Bridge line of processors and with them, a new technology called Quick Sync. This hardware based transcoding engine offers twice the performance of current GPU based transcoding without degradation in quality. The downside of this is that it cannot be used if you are using a discrete GPU.

lucidlogix_logo400_011111.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I really want to get my hands on this tech to give it a go. It's definitely a niche product, but it has real potential to be useful if it spreads out into all future platforms.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'd like to see if Lucid could work their witchcraft to get this to fly on a P67 board. Then you'd get a media/gaming system/overclocked monster all in one. I doubt it could happen because there's nothing that would access Quick Sync from the motherboard level.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd like to see the same thing. I'm still not sure why Intel put such bizarre limitations into place; it seems odd to have to use an H67 board when most people will want to run P67.