Logitech Z Cinema Speaker System

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Logitech unveiled their Z Cinéma speaker system at this year's CES, to plenty of fanfare. The system blends a refined two-way satellite design with a robust, powerful subwoofer. We take the latest high performance Z-series PC speaker system for a spin, and find lots of cause for excitement.

You can read Rory's full review here, and discuss it here!

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I'm still spoiled with the Klipsch 5.1 system surround, I don't think a 2.1 could satisfy me, now.
And it's oly 50.00 USD more

Merlin

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Nice enough speaker system I guess.........;)

As much as I would like to get a better set of PC speakers, there's no way I could justify paying $300 for a set, for that price I'd rather spend it on a Quad core CPU.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
From reading the review, the best part of these speakers is that one of the major concern of Rory's can be adderssed on the cheap by Logitech by redoing the software that comes with the speakers. It's nice when the complaint isn't of the actual product itself but rather the software that comes with it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree with that one.

$300 for speakers WOULD be worth it to many people. Some people value music and and gaming fidelity over actual performance, so this would be a reasonable purchase. Or, it could be that the consumer already has a kick-ass computer and just wants an audio upgrade.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
They look worthy of the pricetag to me. I didn't notice if it was possible to use them without the intrusive software maybe?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I believe the software is only required to enable the SRS TruSurround HD functionality. Other then that, I don't think the lack of software would impact the sound quality of speakers that much.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Nice enough speaker system I guess.........;)

As much as I would like to get a better set of PC speakers, there's no way I could justify paying $300 for a set, for that price I'd rather spend it on a Quad core CPU.

Is there a PX you use? I found my 5.1 Logitech sound system in the return/discount wall at the local one... you've probably noticed the prices (even after 25% & 50% markoffs) are still above Newegg prices. :rolleyes: But very occasionally there is a good buy...

Box and styrofoam were pretty well gouged out and broken on this one, and apparently was bought then returned ontop of that so they marked it down unusually low, or may have been because it also was a model being replaced. Was much less than the ~$300 original price anyway, no actual damage to the set. Their quality has sold me on Logitech, very good sound and I don't even have a soundcard. :)

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Is there a PX you use? I found my 5.1 Logitech sound system in the return/discount wall at the local one... you've probably noticed the prices (even after 25% & 50% markoffs) are still above Newegg prices. :rolleyes: But very occasionally there is a good buy...

Box and styrofoam were pretty well gouged out and broken on this one, and apparently was bought then returned ontop of that so they marked it down unusually low, or may have been because it also was a model being replaced. Was much less than the ~$300 original price anyway, no actual damage to the set. Their quality has sold me on Logitech, very good sound and I don't even have a soundcard. :)

None really close anymore these days, but I got my fair share of good deals at AAFES over the years.............:D
That's where I picked up my Bose HT system years ago, year end close out and a old service buddy was the factory AAFES sales rep and I picked it up at whole sale close out pricing and at the time I was also working for AAFES as well, so I only paid like 25% or retail when it was all said and done. It's a shame that I don't live around there anymore though, I used to get the same deals on computer HW as well back in the day, now I'm stuck paying the same as everyone else for the most part (But I do still have some good friends on active duty Overseas)............;)

U

Unregistered

Ok, sound newbie question here. I like the sound (ahem) of these mostly for the pseudo surround feature which from the review appears to work well. I'd like to use them in the living room to output sound from my SKY HD box. I have a media center underneath it, and was wondering if it would be ok to feed the audio out of the HD box, into the MC tv card audio and back out these speakers without losing too much quality and keeping the surround sound features.

Please keep any replies at numpty level as although I can hold my own in any I.T orientated conversation, I've never really delved into the world of sound.

Cheers

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Hello. (Wow, this thread went a little nuts -- but it's understandable -- the Z Cinema is big news in PC audio.)

The only analog input to the Z Cinema speakers is through the stereo line input on the right speaker, which is technically the 'Aux' input. Keep that in mind if you plan to use these speakers for anything but a computer. I suppose if I had a wish list for this product, I'd have wanted a stereo line input on the rear of the subwoofer as well, since sometimes you just want to bring in audio from a source that isn't your PC.

In fact, I wonder why more manufacturers aren't doing an optical digital connection. For my everyday listening, I run an optical cable directly out of my Asus Xonar D2 into my Harman/Kardon 7.1-channel receiver, and into a pair (only a pair...) of high-quality main speakers and a powerful 500W powered sub. I'm inclined to wonder if we'll start seeing PC speakers in a year that ditch the analog input altogether and move to an optical or coaxial digital connection.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Will the Cinema Z work with Mac?

I'm falling for the Cinema Z in much the same way I fell for my ex-wife. What I am eager to avoid are the same compatibility issues that led to us falling out.

Will the Cinema Z speakers work with my Apple Mac ok? I'm not sure I could afford another expensive divorce...

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Hi, Rory here.

I didn't test the Z Cinema speakers with a Mac. I suspect you'd be able to *use* the Z Cinema speakers on your Mac in a pinch, but you may not get the SRS TruSurround effect, which is handled by the driver software.

U

Unregistered

does anyone know if the remote is capable of learning TV's signals? is it a learning remote? or PC/MCE only?

M

Mike

Helo people,

Im from Greece, so please forgive for any language mistake you might see!

I have a question for Rory for the reason that he has a personal experience with those speakers:
Rory what is your opinion about the intensity of the volume? I bought the speakers but im not very satisfied with the result.
I had a set of speakers with only the half of intensity than Z Cinema but they were louder!

I apologize for my English, im still learning!

Thnx

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I'm fairly certain that the remote is PC only.

The Altec Lansing PT6021 system comes with a programmable universal remote, but it doesn't do the cool virtual-surround thing.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
To address Mike's comment, it did seem to me like these speakers were far too reserved both in their overall volume level and in the amount of bass or treble adjustment that was available. But then, I can't imagine constantly listening to these speakers at full volume -- for what they had, they could really crank.

U

Unregistered

Remote control question

Hey!

Is it possible to control the windows mouse pointer with the remote? (example: if I watch online-TV or listen to the music in any other software than Windows Media Center and would like to control the software from the couch)

Thank you!!

U

Unregistered

Hi!

Planning to pick these up. In the review a soundcard without a USB interface was used...how is this possible? I have an x-fi card by creative, can i still use this card somehow or is it just taking space up in my system?