Logitech Performance Mouse MX Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When Logitech released its Revolution MX nearly five years ago, it delivered a mouse that impressed - and for good reason. It featured a great design that was both comfortable and attractive, and had a very effective hyper scroll wheel. With the Performance MX, a natural progression has been made, and an impressive one at that.

You can read through Greg's full look at the Performance MX mouse and then discuss it here!

PS: I want one.

U

Unregistered

MX

They are both MX's. The Revolution MX and the Performance MX. You refered the Performance MX as MX alone is confusing. Overall, it was nice short review. Thx.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
When referring to the Revolution, I called it the Revolution. When referring to the Performance MX, I stated in the review that it was going to be call the MX.

I worried a bit about your point when writing but opted to call it just the MX as opposed to Performance MX every time. To clear up confusion, I will change this. Thank you for the input.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Interesting mouse, I'll have to try and remember there's multiple MX devices now! If I was still looking for a mouse that one would be high on my list. :)

I like the optional usb cable extension... needed that with my Microsoft keyboard given the reception was nonexistent beyond two feet. I've not had trouble with the Bluetooth on my MX 5500 even with a Wireless N router three feet away, but that was definitely a concern of mine.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i'm currently having a pretty bad experience with my Deathadder! 2 months after i bought it the left mouse button started to double click even though i clicked once. Tried reducing the sensitivity but nothing! Now the mouse wheel as screwed up! My previous logitech MX 518 had no problems and i used it for over a year!

This looks to be a good replacement! :D

edit:this be not available, the G500 is though! Any ideas on that one!?

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
edit:this be not available, the G500 is though! Any ideas on that one!?

I use the G500. It's a good mouse, and although it takes awhile to set the myriad of settings to the sensitivity and preconfigs I use I'm quite happy with mine.

The cord is a little annoying though, it acts like a twist-tie so it stays in whatever shape it was put in instead of a normal cord, but it's only a minor issue. The weights are a joke though, I put the most weight into it and it still feels lighter than my previous wireless mouse.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The cord is a little annoying though, it acts like a twist-tie so it stays in whatever shape it was put in instead of a normal cord, but it's only a minor issue. The weights are a joke though, I put the most weight into it and it still feels lighter than my previous wireless mouse.

I know it sounds weird but heat up some water and and put the cord in it. Obviously leave the mouse and the USB connector out of it but it will get the cord to straighten up. I suppose you could use a hair drier too but it might take more time.

U

Unregistered Australian

Charging using micro-USB cable

In the review it is stated "With the Performance MX, you simply plug in a micro-USB cable; the same kind used to charge MANY other types of devices."

Has the author actually tried plugging a standard micro-USB cable into the mouse?.

The micro-USB cables I use for mobile phones etc. (ie. many other types of devices) do not plug into the Performance MX, because it expects the opposite gender. This appears to be an oversight by Logitech resulting in the supplied cable having to be used solely to charge the said mouse, which adds to the cable spaghetti.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
While the reviewer has not tested other cables, I have used the one included with the Performance Mouse MX to charge the mouse itself, my girlfriends HTC EVO and an energizer backup battery / case for my iPhone. Given all of those devices work with the included cable, that suggests to me that it's universal.

The ONLY fault I can find with the cable connection is that when plugged in, it's at a slight upward angle making it a bit awkward to plug it. It wasn't worth mentioning in the review because it's so slight.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered Australian

Greg,

if you want to be taken seriously then you should reconsider stating that connecting to 3 devices "suggests to me that it's universal".

As I previously indicated, I have found the supplied cable will not connect to various mobile phones. It will also not connect to a memory card readers or various digital cameras.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As there exist at least three different USB device connectors (mini, micro and USB 3), there would be no such thing as a "universal" offering. However, I don't think Greg meant "universal" in a literal sense, but rather meant that it's just used all over the place, which it is.

Most phones and compact devices today use micro-USB, which is the super-thin connector that I believe this mouse uses (I couldn't find a great picture of where the connection plugs in). Mini-USB used to be the dominant form-factor, though it's still used for things like external USB storage and other devices where size isn't a major concern.

I have a fairly even spread of devices that use either or, but it's clear to me that micro-USB is quickly becoming the dominant choice among device manufacturers.

Picture reference: http://www.intomobile.com/2007/05/27/picture-mini-vs-micro-usb/

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Micro-USB? Wow that's tiny... Everything I own uses normal or mini-USB only, but mobile phones especially have adopted the micro-USB ports. Greg is correct, the Performance MX mouse uses a micro-USB connection.

All three USB connection sizes are a universal standard, that's what USB is as they aren't proprietary connectors. If the connector size is a problem then I'd suggest getting a mini -> micro USB plug to snap onto the end of the USB cable as it's the same USB spec, any electronics or major store should stock them.

There are already USB 3.0 versions for all three size standards, should be "fun" when those begin to enter the mainstream. The micro-USB 3 connector is a bit odd looking though.

I know it sounds weird but heat up some water and and put the cord in it. Obviously leave the mouse and the USB connector out of it but it will get the cord to straighten up. I suppose you could use a hair drier too but it might take more time.

Interesting idea! Just to double-check, the cord is wrapped in a nylon mesh weave, is a hair drier even safe for something like that? I don't want to shrink wrap it or anything. I'll definitely try that hot water trick, as the cord STILL has kinks in it from where it was folded over in the box. Thanks Greg!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Greg,

if you want to be taken seriously then you should reconsider stating that connecting to 3 devices "suggests to me that it's universal".

As I previously indicated, I have found the supplied cable will not connect to various mobile phones. It will also not connect to a memory card readers or various digital cameras.

I'm not trying to argue with you and I never implied that you were wrong. I know my example is not a complete representation of all micro-USB devices but in testing the only three micro-USB devices in my house, three devices in three completely different CE markets, suggested to me that it was universal.

It's true that there is a type A and a type B of Micro-USB and it should have been mentioned. for that I apologize and mention that detail here and now. However, if you are going to quote me, please quote me completely. Anyone that reads your quote will get an entirely different message than if they were to read what I actually read. Context means everything. I stated that I had not tested other cables but did in fact test the included cable with multiple devices. All were successful.

If we are picking apart quotes however, your statement of:

Unregistered Australian said:
This appears to be an oversight by Logitech resulting in the supplied cable having to be used solely to charge the said mouse, which adds to the cable spaghetti.

implies that the provided cord from Logitech will ONLY work with the reviewed mouse. I proved that statement wrong by testing said cord on other devices. While it would be fantastic if the industry would decide on ONE connector type, that's neither Logitech's or this reviewer's fault.

U

Unregistered Australian

Greg,

It was not my intention to quote you out of context, and I cannot see how I have done so.

My issue is not with the "connector type" per se, but rather the connector's gender.
The devices I have mentioned all connect to a cable that has a female connector, whereas the cable Logitech supplied has a male connector. Hence in my case, the Logitech cable is used solely for charging the mouse, though in your case this is different (because of your devices).

I have adopted the practice of charging the AA battery externally (using an Apple charger) so the Logitech supplied cable is not required.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Finally a mouse I think I'll buy. Last one was the Logitech MX700, a mouse I used for nearly 10 years. I "pwnd" many "nubs" with that mouse... ah memories... Out of pity my brother bought me a LX-8 a few years back. It's great on battery life, but I don't like that there are thumb buttons on both sides of the mouse. I end up squeezing the other with my ring finger.

I like that the mouse can be used with the wire while charging.. Keeps me from running over to the recharging box when the battery gets low. Nifty. The mini USB wire can also be used to charge my Evo while I'm at the desk. Extra kudos.

MX700 for those who may not remember it.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well my DeathAdder is no more! Back to using my MX518! Now i'm on for Razer Mamba Vs Logitech G700!
suggestions?! :)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
If you have to have wireless, I have a soft spot in my heart for Logitech and their G700.

If you don't mind the cable, stick with the MX518. I have mine connected to a second computer and I LOVE it as much as I did when I got it years ago. That mouse was amazing then and is amazing now.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i missed how good the MX 518 was but, its skin has become worn off and it looks like an old pair of jeans, lol! Still, no performance issues!

I dont want to go Razer again! Not a good experience with both the Deathadder(only good for 2 months it was) and the Lycosa! I'll consider the G700! :D

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have had good experiences with Razer products so I don't think you will be at all upset with the Mamba. Good price too.