Logitech MX Revolution Laser Mouse

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The successor to the popular MX1000 mouse is finally here and it promises to improve on old favorites and introduce some new features. Here we have an upgraded scroll wheel capable of plowing through long documents with a simple flick of the finger, an advanced application switcher and a much more comfortable thumb rest.

Read the review here and discuss it here!

madmat

Soup Nazi
That's a purdy little rodent there. The thumb rest looks a little odd but I imagine it's pretty handy.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It looks odd, but it's comfortable. When you use it, you don't even notice the thumbrest.

S

servif2002

I own a MX1000, a really awesome mouse...but..when Logitech is going to change its politics of design and made a mouse more "universal" so as to be used by left handed people like me?..Really I cant take full advantage of my MX1000 due to that reason, and this new mouse looks more "right handed" than the MX1000. I am not asking for two versions, only a more universal design..

I am a really a fan of Logitech, I own a wireless gampad, a corded gamepad, a set of 5.1 wireless speakers z5450, a forcefedback wheel and my MX1000 laser mouse... and really I fell somehow dissapointed about Logitech "not left handed" politic..I dont think we are a few ones in the the world...

Anyway, excellent review, the mouse looks incredible.. but I think a mention of this problem is necessary on it...

Thanks..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have to apologize, because I meant to bring up the fact about left-handed mice in the review. Down to crunch time, I ended up forgetting about it.

I completely agree with your frustration.

"I am not asking for two versions, only a more universal design.."

I do agree with that to an extent, but I reviewed the G3 last month, which did just that. I wasn't impressed overall... it's a decent mouse but I can't see it being that comfortable for either right-handed people or left-handed. What they need to do is put out specific mice for lefties... instead of just making them ambidextrous.

I'll shoot Logitech an e-mail regarding this... and see if a left-handed version of the mouse is in the gameplan.

S

servif2002

Good Day,

Thanks for your words, and no need to apologize..you have made and excellent review and the one about MX1000 helped me a lot to decide to buy one about a year ago..and here in my country it cost me a lot..but I found it an excellent mouse specially if you use it with a "professional" pad...I really love my MX1000. But as you correctly mentioned, the MX1000 is somehow bulky and heavy, so thats why I have placed my eyes in this new version which aside from being beautiful designed, it seems to have taken into account this "bulky problem"...I am really thinking to buy this one..but that is why I remarked my point about left handed users..with a Company like Logitech making such fine products, it is difficult to understand the lack of sight about this problem.

And your are right, it is better two versions...but I even would be more than happy if an universal one appears in the market.

Thanks for all and keep the good work...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I do agree... Logitech is a -huge- company, so they can afford to take small risks like this. I have e-mailed them and am just awaiting a reply. Once I get one, I will post it in here... probably by the end of the day.

Yeah... the MX1000 is a great mouse, but I do find it bulky, especially compared to the MX Revolution now. To be honest though, I am not sure the MX Revolution (right-handed version) is going to be right for you. I am not left-handed, but I just held the MX1000 with my left hand and it felt decent. I can understand how you can put up with it. But I did the same with the MX Revolution and it was far from pleasent. It may also depend on how large your hands are, but I find it more uncomfortable to hold with the left hand over the MX1000, due to it's curvier frame.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I do agree... Logitech is a -huge- company, so they can afford to take small risks like this. I have e-mailed them and am just awaiting a reply. Once I get one, I will post it in here... probably by the end of the day.

Yeah... the MX1000 is a great mouse, but I do find it bulky, especially compared to the MX Revolution now. To be honest though, I am not sure the MX Revolution (right-handed version) is going to be right for you. I am not left-handed, but I just held the MX1000 with my left hand and it felt decent. I can understand how you can put up with it. But I did the same with the MX Revolution and it was far from pleasent. It may also depend on how large your hands are, but I find it more uncomfortable to hold with the left hand over the MX1000, due to it's curvier frame.

Good Day,

Mmmm..the same I thought when I read your review...this new mouse seems more "right-handed" than the MX1000.. And to be honest, it took me some time to get used with the MX1000...because its clearly a right handed one, and if you add that it is heavy, it was difficult for me...and again you are right..due to I have a big hand, it completely covered the left side "hole" of it (the one to put the thumb on it), so the process was a bit simplier...however, after a year using it, I dont change it easily.

Thanks for the email you sent and I will be aware for the answer..

Best Regards..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did you see the answer above? Looks like they are not interested in making a left-handed one at this time, which is too bad really. It seems nobody caters to left-handed people, so they would be catering to a niche almost, which would do them good.

You -may- want to consider the MX-610 that Matt mentioned above though. It's styled directly for left-handed people, and while I haven't used one before, it looks rather comfortable.

S

servif2002

Logitech response:

No plans at this time. We do have the MX610 in a left-hand version though:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=11532

Well that sucks. Hopefully there will be enough response to the MX Revolution that will warrant a left-handed version. :(

Good Day,

That is a fast response.LOL...it took less than the time it took me to write the reply..anyway..a great dissapointment..I have spent more than 1000 dollars on all the Logitech hardware I mentioned before, and this answer makes me think that Logitech "hates" left handed users...I really dont think we are such a minority...

Anyway I will bother you again with one question..I wasnt aware about this MX610 mouse..I will definitely make a research about it..but from your words can you compare it with the MX1000?..

Again I appreciate your dispossition and great work...it is an example for other sites..

Regards.

PS: It may seems to be funny but besides I am left handed...I have another problem... I cant see very well colors...so it is really difficult to me to match the image code...with a white background it would be easier..or may be it is preferably to register....LOL!!..Y asure you, beside that I am a normal guy...

madmat

Soup Nazi
What colors can you see? That way I can make the link stand out for you. The MX-610 is a pretty decent mouse, I've got one and the only thing that detracts from it is the fact that it goes to sleep really quickly.

Stop moving it for a minute or so and it's snoozing. Not an issue if you're gaming though since the mouse is constantly on the move but for web browsing it can be a bit tiring since you'll end up having to shake the mouse to wake it up in order to scroll.

The link is below in the next paragraph so it'll be easy to distinguish.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=11532

Have a great day!

U

Unregistered

What colors can you see? That way I can make the link stand out for you. The MX-610 is a pretty decent mouse, I've got one and the only thing that detracts from it is the fact that it goes to sleep really quickly.

Stop moving it for a minute or so and it's snoozing. Not an issue if you're gaming though since the mouse is constantly on the move but for web browsing it can be a bit tiring since you'll end up having to shake the mouse to wake it up in order to scroll.

The link is below in the next paragraph so it'll be easy to distinguish.

Have a great day!

Thanks for your time,

The MX-610 seems really interesting, I will make some research so as to compare it with the MX1000 in terms of technology...

By the way about the Image Verification..there is no problem at all..due to the fact that the background is colored as well as the letters, I have really problems to see some letters so I usually get an error two or more times due to my genetic malfunction...anyway...it isnt a great problem at all and it only shows how lazy I am because I havent registered yet in this excellent site..

Thanks for all..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Feel free to sign up now if you like... I disabled the image verification for the time being. I could not remove the colored background for some reason.. but I can see how that would be hard to distinguish.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ok, I had to re-enable image verification because we were getting spammed from the little time it was off. If you do want to register, let me know.

U

Unregistered

Response?

One problem I had with the MX1000 on high resolution monitors is that there is definitely noticeable response lag over a wired mouse. I have the MX518 as well and the 518 is far more responsibe than the 1000 at resolutions such as 1680x1050.

If you had to compare the MX1000, MX518 and the new MX Revolution, what would you recommend?

I play World of Warcraft mostly, I know it's not exactly an FPS but I am a control freak. I hate it when things lag, especially my mouse.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Out of all three, I prefer the feel of the MX Revolution the most. For MMO's, I use the MX1000 or the MX Revolution... whatever I have hooked up at the time. For FPS though, I'd use the MX 518 for the extreme control. For MMO's, that control is not needed... you are mainly hovering your cursor around and clicking on icons. Same response is needed for RTS games.

As for the high resolution problems, I have never run anything beyond 1280*1024, so I have no clue. I have never heard about such issues though.

U

Unregistered

Setpoint software

I just picked up the retail version and wanted to point out that it is shipping with setpoint v3.01, not the updated 3.1 mentioned in the review. Version 3.1 is not available for download as of Aug 27, 2006.