Logitech G9 Laser Gaming Mouse

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Looking for the ultimate gaming mouse? Logitech's latest G9 offers a lot... and then some. Included is a switchable body, color-changing LEDs, 3200 DPI capabilities, MicroGear scroll-wheel, braided cable and much more. The question: Is it worth your $99?

You can read the full review here and discuss it here!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Not quite my MX revo... But I'm sure you were glad to get your hand on one of those wheels.

To anyone from logitech who may read this, PUT THE FREGGIN WHEEL ON MOAR MICE.

To those who have not touched a wheel like this, go get one. It is worth every $ you spend on it.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Mouse Wheel

Why do they have to put in a wheel that goes left and right. I love my MX-518 and I was so looking forward to retiring it for the G5. Brought it, just to discover the side scroll. It is just not useful and always hinders my gaming by getting mixed up with a middle click becoming a left side scroll. Do people like it that much. Out of the 40 people I ask at XLan (700+ gaming event)who own the G5/G7 they all complaint about it so why did they put it in the G9?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
you could set the side scrolls to middle button. Then regardless of what you hit, you hit middle.

S

sethk

No mention of mouse polling / refresh rate

One of the big things I look for in a gaming mouse is the polling rate - the default USB polling rate of 125hz leads to an input lag of 8ms, not to mention that at higher dpi it feels like your mouse is 'skipping'. I remember the first time I used a 500hz driver on a Razer mouse - it was quite a revelation in FPS games, and even in desktop use that required precision, such as Photoshop, etc.

The logitech has support for higher refresh rates - was any testing done on refresh rates or is this not configurable from the Logitech software? (You can find mouserate via google and use it to test your mouse polling rate.)

B

bot_add

Nice review, but it lacks some detail imho.

First of all the nice and shiny features are well covered, yet the fact that the mouse skips on surfaces such as QcK, polished wood, unpolished wood and a piece of paper is nowhere to be found. Being a low senser myself it was rather frustrating having the mouse making the hoola hoola dance everytime.
Another thing is the terrible lift off distance, which is around 4mm, twice as much as MX518 which is only 2mm.
The shape is indeed very different from anything you ever seen before (or not, now that I think of Creative's Fatal1ty 2020) and either you'll love it or hate it :)

Not being a hater under any circumstances, but thought this belonged to the review.

Sethk G9 is USB overclocked by default, either 500 or 1000Hz, I couldn't test it tho.
"One of the big things I look for in a gaming mouse is the polling rate"
These are the words of a nub, since you can overclock any mouse and feel a huge difference.

Thanks for making the effort and writing that review Rob.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Nice review, but it lacks some detail imho.

First of all the nice and shiny features are well covered, yet the fact that the mouse skips on surfaces such as QcK, polished wood, unpolished wood and a piece of paper is nowhere to be found. Being a low senser myself it was rather frustrating having the mouse making the hoola hoola dance everytime.
Another thing is the terrible lift off distance, which is around 4mm, twice as much as MX518 which is only 2mm.
The shape is indeed very different from anything you ever seen before (or not, now that I think of Creative's Fatal1ty 2020) and either you'll love it or hate it :)

Not being a hater under any circumstances, but thought this belonged to the review.

Sethk G9 is USB overclocked by default, either 500 or 1000Hz, I couldn't test it tho.
These are the words of a nub, since you can overclock any mouse and feel a huge difference.

Thanks for making the effort and writing that review Rob.

Rob didn't write the review. Greg did. ;)

The lift off distance is something that can be very annoying in some laser mice. I found the MX1000 (at least way back when I bought it) to have too high of a lift off distance. I don't know exactly how much, but I know I had to raise the mouse much more than I wanted to for it to stop registering which proved to be annoying when gaming (especially in FPS). On the other hand I found the G5 to a have a pretty good (short) lift off distance. Even so, from all the mice I've used so far (not the G9 yet) my favorite mouse still is the MX518.

U

Unregistered

Actually USB overclocking DOESN'T work on several Logitech mice including the MX Revolution and the older MX900. If you replace the driver with a 500hz version, those two mice don't respond. It does work with the Logitech 518 and the G5, but with Logitech's spotty record I'm glad to see a mouse with official support and the Revolution's gyroscopic wheel.

In Vista 64 you really have to go out of your way to disable signed driver checking, replace the USB driver with 500 or 1000hz versions which causes instabilities (and one one of my PCs running Vista 64 it flat out doesn't work.) So don't say it works on every mouse because that's not true. Official support is very nice.

U

Unregistered

artophwar's g9 review

As an hardcore gamer and Logitech fan since the early 90s I can tell you this is by far the best mouse I have ever laid my hands on. I’m 6’4” 265lbs with large hands but for some reason this mouse fits it 100x better than the g5 even despite the fact that is around 25% smaller. Logitech got the design spot on for any gamer that uses their fingers to grip and control the mouse. However I can understand why a lot of people will hate it if they have come accustom to having their palm rest on the rear of a mouse. In my opinion any hardcore gamer will use fingers because of the far superior precision you gain from it. I received my g9 in the mail yesterday and hooked it up for its maiden voyage and with a 2000dpi setting (same as my g5) the learning curve was close to non existent. I loaded up Battlefield 2 and decided to play a few maps using only the sniper rifle and only firing shots off when my crosshair was on the enemies head. The end results were 60-7, 48-2, 39-11, and 41-5. The control was amazing and it was incredibly easy to get headshots. Funny thing is I got admin kicked via punkbuster for cheating on a sever I have been frequenting for the past 4 months, and in the end that is the best you can expect from any mouse. Of course I contacted the head server admin and the ban has already been lifted

The mouse pad I use is the fUnc sUrface1030 Archetype with fUnc Anti-Friction liquid.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Glad you like the mouse. I too use a fUnc... easily the best mouse pad on the earth.

U

Unregistered

As an hardcore gamer and Logitech fan since the early 90s I can tell you this is by far the best mouse I have ever laid my hands on. I’m 6’4” 265lbs with large hands but for some reason this mouse fits it 100x better than the g5 even despite the fact that is around 25% smaller. Logitech got the design spot on for any gamer that uses their fingers to grip and control the mouse. However I can understand why a lot of people will hate it if they have come accustom to having their palm rest on the rear of a mouse. In my opinion any hardcore gamer will use fingers because of the far superior precision you gain from it. I received my g9 in the mail yesterday and hooked it up for its maiden voyage and with a 2000dpi setting (same as my g5) the learning curve was close to non existent. I loaded up Battlefield 2 and decided to play a few maps using only the sniper rifle and only firing shots off when my crosshair was on the enemies head. The end results were 60-7, 48-2, 39-11, and 41-5. The control was amazing and it was incredibly easy to get headshots. Funny thing is I got admin kicked via punkbuster for cheating on a sever I have been frequenting for the past 4 months, and in the end that is the best you can expect from any mouse. Of course I contacted the head server admin and the ban has already been lifted

The mouse pad I use is the fUnc sUrface1030 Archetype with fUnc Anti-Friction liquid.

Hi there, since you're a logitech fan you must've tried their MX310 mouse, can you please tell me how does G9 compare to it comfortwise?

U

Unregistered

artophwar

Hi there, since you're a logitech fan you must've tried their MX310 mouse, can you please tell me how does G9 compare to it comfortwise?

The G9 is a Finger mouse and it fits perfectly in your hand without your palm even touching it. Once you play with it for a short amount of time you don't even notice it. Another good note is that with it being around 1 1/2in shorter than the g5 it gives your a lot more room to move around on the mouse pad (around 15% increase.) The major difference it has over the mx310 (besides the technology) is that with the wide grip it has deep groves on both sides. This keeps the mouse from sliding out of your hand when you lift off to center it on your mouse pad. This is a critical flaw in a lot of products and makes them almost unusable by cyberatheletes.

U

Unregistered

The G9 is a Finger mouse and it fits perfectly in your hand without your palm even touching it. Once you play with it for a short amount of time you don't even notice it. Another good note is that with it being around 1 1/2in shorter than the g5 it gives your a lot more room to move around on the mouse pad (around 15% increase.) The major difference it has over the mx310 (besides the technology) is that with the wide grip it has deep groves on both sides. This keeps the mouse from sliding out of your hand when you lift off to center it on your mouse pad. This is a critical flaw in a lot of products and makes them almost unusable by cyberatheletes.

Hi, Thanks for your reply!

I guess G9 isn't really for me cause I like a mix of a palm mouse and a finger one, which MX310 is.

I found a site with G5 comparison pics if anyone is interested,
http://detail.zol.com.cn/115/114668/pic.shtml

U

Unregistered

Cordless Mouse

I like using cordless mouse. Is there any word when or if Logitech will come out with a cordless version of the G9 mouse?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Logitech won't speak about this, but there is little doubt that something like that will be in the works. The G5 proved to be a popular mouse, so I can't see why they would overlook a wireless version of the G9.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I have the MX518 on one machine and the other is my old MX 1000.
The MX518 is chorded and the MX1000 is wireless whixh I like just putting it in the cradle to recharge for 20 min., to use for another week.
Someone said something about lift off?
Do you mean actually lifting it off the pad?

If so, why would you lift it up?

Merlin