Logitech G3 Laser Mouse

Alpine

Obliviot
I very nearly got a G3 when the computer shop was out of G5's but in the end I got a MX 610. Then I found it wasn't what I wanted & came to my senses & took it back & ordered a G5. Great review though ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The G5 is a superb mouse... you made a good choice there. I have had a lot of problems with my G3, but Logitech is taking a look at them. The MX518 or G5 would be my first choice when it came to buying a new one though.

U

Unregistered

re: G3

Not that bad for a mouse compared to some of the older competitors brands.
I like the setings versatility on sensitivity.
I Am left handed so G5 is not the answer.
Mouse Size? Well I have bear paws but still use it comfortably.
I would have liked a visual indicator to show which sensitivity level you are on but...thats G5 territory.
Got to say Works very smooth on Ratpadz GS.
How long will "teflon type pads" last?
Time tells.

U

Unregistered

The G5 isn't a palm only mouse, you can control it very easily using your fingers and it is 10x more comfortable than G3

U

Unregistered

This mouse is a god send for me. I've neglected to upgrade to a more prosise and sturdy laser mouse and decided to stick with my rappidly degrading optical logitech for quite a while, since I havn't been able to find a new one that isn't either wireless, a miss-shaped paper-weight, or covered with more buttons than my keyboard. And now, the first nice and simple laser mouse I come accross, and it's the exact same shape as my old mouse! Seriously, it's an exact replica of my current model (which seems to be a rarity these days, no sign of it in online stores) spruced up with advanced features.
667670-elec_lg-resized200.jpg

I thought the mouse world had completely forgotten us gamers who like to keep things simple, I will definatly be buying one of these. Thanks for the review!

U

Unregistered

I am right handed with pretty big hands, and I love this mouse. Here's why.
There are two main ways that people control mice: with the palm or with the fingertips. I am in a small minority because I use my fingertips. Most people use the palm; Rob, you clearly do because you talk about the MX510 fitting like a glove. For fingertip mousers like myself, mice like that are incredibly uncomfortable because they're difficult to use without touching the whole body of the mouse with the hand.

When I use a mouse like the G3 or the MX300/310, my palm never comes in contact with the mouse. My thumb and pinky touch the mousepad and the very bottom edge of the mouse on either side, and my three middle fingers' tips touch the three buttons with the rest of the fingers up in the air. My wrist is planted on the mousepad 95% of the time. Moving the mouse around is accomplished by pushing on it with the thumb and pinky, mainly.

With big "ergonomic" mice like the MX510, the angles of the buttons and shape of the mouse are very bad for this style of control. The G3 is the first mouse from Logitech in years that is good to use for fingertip mousers. Razer's mice are designed to be used this way too, but I don't like them for other unrelated reasons.

Logitech knows about different mouse control styles; it says on the back of the G3's box "Compact, ambidextrous design for quick wrist movements and fingertip control," accompanied by a very exaggerated picture of a hand holding the mouse similarly to how I do.

So that's why the G3 is small and why that is awesome. For me this is the best mouse that has ever existed.

I totally agree with you, I use all my mice exactly like you do! I cant stand having my whole hand on the mouse. I want to rest my palm on on the table and use my fingers. I hate these big gamingmouses where you have your whole hand on it. I've ordered a G3 for 45$, Im just waiting for it to arrive.

U

Unregistered

i just want to say, ive been playing FPS games the last 6 years on daily basis

.i'm currently using a mx510, , i also have a razor diamond, but i gave that to my girlfirend cause ive couldnt get used to it.... (not saying its bad, just not my style)

Ive had many mices, but my best (at the time taken in concideration) was mx300 (not mx310).. a little handy grey mouse.. but at that time optical mouses was not very good..so from that i went to "dual" optics..(has the same shape as mx500/510)..since that day ive been missed the little mx300 shape..and ive truly felt handicapped until i bought this logitech g3 i have now..

so its cool, BECAUSE its small! ..besides that all i want nad get is just 100% reliability in reaction, and no skipping..

U

Unregistered

finger tip control is superior to palm option. yeah some people like things different and thats understandable and palming is still a viable option but at the end of the day the fact is finger tip gives you more control.

in general your want to go small as you can when it comes to controlling something it creates better accuracy and reaction controlling something small then something big and clunky(when i think of clunky i think of mx518) theres 3 things that determine what size mouse is best for someone. 1)size of hand 2)this one is interesting SKILL. think about it lets compare a kid and a grandparent and assume relative same size of hands on a small controller the kid can quickly use buttons cause of the close proximity and the grandparent might have trouble just useing them basically cause he lacks the fine motor control but with bigger buttons he can use the controller with higher efficiency but the kid wont be able to press the buttons as fast and he becomes less efficient 3) just plan old preference

a big reason why gaming are dominated by clunky mice is cause of hardware is a lot easier to throw in a 2000 dpi hardware into a large mouse look at basic mice that dont have top level hardware they are smaller cause its better to handle. also i think people are starting to get use to the big clunky things -_-;;

the only real downside of g3 i know of is the amount of buttons on it but im not sure if that is a downside A) buttons on mouse make you go soft and wont be as good on keyboard when you need to be B) pressing buttons does actually interrupt how your move the mouse mostly in a rather small way but it still has a effect.