Logitech G3 Laser Mouse

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are left handed, you know the trouble of finding a suitable gaming mouse. Logitech tries to mend that problem with their G3, an ambidextrous solution. Does it deliver the goods as well as the MX 510 and G5 though?

After reading the review here, feel free to discuss it here!

RazorBack

E.M.I.
Still prefer my G5, which I got about a week ago :p Looks a bit too "cheap" for a gaming mouse... Ah well. I'm sure the lefties will like it, well they will be forced to!

About the side scrolling wheel said:
Being that this is a pure gaming mouse, the latter function doesn't really have it's place in any game that I can think of.

When I read the review of the G5 (I'm not sure if I read the review here or somewhere else) the reviewer said the side scroll was excellent for switching between pre-set weapons instead of scrolling through to find them. Personally I think they are great.. in the likes of SOF2 you can set the side scroll to be lean then then you can have more control without having an extra couple of keyboard buttons to look for.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Maybe some mice allow you to configure the scroll wheel in a game, but I don't recall my MX 1000 allowing such freedom.

U

Unregistered

Your complaint that the mouse is too small is like buying a pair of size 6s when you wear a size 12! Logitech is the ONLY mouse company out there who realizes that not everyone has giant meathooks. I have been praying for this mouse for years, and I'm not even left-handed. I just have small hands and I have NEVER understood why I would want to crank my hand up on its side to use a mouse. Any mouse other than these small, flat Logitechs give me terrible carpal tunnel in about an hour (I just returned yet another unsuitable mouse today!). Fingers numb, palm achy and tingling...

I feel silly for saying this, but... Please think of the little guy before complaining about a product!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I stick to my opinions, but of course not everyone will agree with them. It's true, this mouse may ROCK for someone with smaller hands. In general though, this mouse is being sold as a gaming mouse also, so when comparing to my other game mice, it's just much smaller.

My primary complaint is that it was just not -that- comfortable of a mouse to use. Your experience may be completely different.

I also complained about the software... but Logitech assures me that it will be available by the time the mouse hits the market.

G

grogxz

a dream comes true.
the first mouse that fitted my hands and playstyle was the logitech pilot wheel mouse (with ball). i had it a long time until i saw the MX300 same design but optical and 1 button more. it died and so i bought the MX310 but it felt wrong after such a long time using a certain design. but i became spoiled by the sidebuttons. the G3 is excactly the mouse i waited for.

U

Unregistered

grogxz said:
a dream comes true.
the first mouse that fitted my hands and playstyle was the logitech pilot wheel mouse (with ball). i had it a long time until i saw the MX300 same design but optical and 1 button more. it died and so i bought the MX310 but it felt wrong after such a long time using a certain design. but i became spoiled by the sidebuttons. the G3 is excactly the mouse i waited for.

(My Nick: Keeper)

Sounds exactly like my gaming mice history. I still have my MX300 though after a number of years. The smaller profile suits me very well, not to mention I am left handed.

U

Unregistered

i have been a die hard fan of the M-BJ58 for the longest time
and the G3 is basicly a M-BJ58 with the guts of a G5 cant wait to get one :D

U

Unregistered

ftompkinspat

In reading the comments on this new product,I am wondering why nobody has seemed to notice the regress to the old style connection cable. Is the corded cable of the G5 unreliable,too costly for this mouse or what?

U

Unregistered

I am right handed with pretty big hands, and I love this mouse. Here's why.
There are two main ways that people control mice: with the palm or with the fingertips. I am in a small minority because I use my fingertips. Most people use the palm; Rob, you clearly do because you talk about the MX510 fitting like a glove. For fingertip mousers like myself, mice like that are incredibly uncomfortable because they're difficult to use without touching the whole body of the mouse with the hand.

When I use a mouse like the G3 or the MX300/310, my palm never comes in contact with the mouse. My thumb and pinky touch the mousepad and the very bottom edge of the mouse on either side, and my three middle fingers' tips touch the three buttons with the rest of the fingers up in the air. My wrist is planted on the mousepad 95% of the time. Moving the mouse around is accomplished by pushing on it with the thumb and pinky, mainly.

With big "ergonomic" mice like the MX510, the angles of the buttons and shape of the mouse are very bad for this style of control. The G3 is the first mouse from Logitech in years that is good to use for fingertip mousers. Razer's mice are designed to be used this way too, but I don't like them for other unrelated reasons.

Logitech knows about different mouse control styles; it says on the back of the G3's box "Compact, ambidextrous design for quick wrist movements and fingertip control," accompanied by a very exaggerated picture of a hand holding the mouse similarly to how I do.

So that's why the G3 is small and why that is awesome. For me this is the best mouse that has ever existed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Glad to hear that you enjoy the mouse so much! It's almost hard to picture controlling of the mouse with just fingertips... something I will have to see someday :)

I do agree with you though... it's a unique mouse and should please many. It's styled so differently than the MX series, that I actually feel weird using it as a secondary.

I think if anything, my main complaint would be the two side buttons. I have been using the G3 primarily for the past week on my alternate rig, and I keep hitting those buttons by accident like crazy. Of course, this is not a problem for fingertip users ;)

U

Unregistered

Yes this is the mouse, yeah baby.

I've had so much mx300 and even after they were not available I would disassemble them to repair them, finally after I couldn't repair them I bought the mx310 which is almost the same size but not as good.

The reviewer must have huge hands, I also have the mx500 and mx700 and both are comfortable for me but not for gaming use. I'm talking 2-10 hours straight gaming.

Also I think the reviewer like most players don't set the mouse correctly, depending on the game I might use ultra high speed setting within windows and also in the game for a magnification of the motions, in other words in less then an inch of movement my curser is already at the other end of the screen. No reason to lift the mouse, the review must be so used to ball mouse that he carried it over to optical mouse, no disrespect but I did that like most gamers until someone told me how to set the mouse in windows and the games for super fast reponse so you no longer have to pick up the mouse, and yes it takes a few days to a few weeks to get used not picking up the mouse but once you get the hang of it you'll see a major improvement in your frag percentage.

I'm buying this mouse based on yours and other reviews that it's exactly the same shape as the mx300 if that is true and the laser works as good if not better then I'm stocking up on this baby.

And while right handed I do use the mouse left handed at times when I need the space on the right side of the desk so that is another handy reason to get this mouse.

U

Unregistered

I can't decide whether to go for the MX518 or the G3. At the moment I use a cheap optical mouse so anything would be an improvement but is it worth going for the laser accuracy of the G3 or the popular tried and tested MX518? I have big hands and am right handed so i'm favouring the 518 but don't want to feel like I "should have" gone for laser accuracy.

Is switching up and down DPI an issue on the G3; as there is only 1 button to do this? On the 518 there is an up AND down.

THanks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
MX518 without question. G3 is designed for lefties mainly, or people with small hands. Laser won't make up for the rest of the mouse if you have big hands.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for that. Is the difference between laser and the MX518 discernable though?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks for that. Is the difference between laser and the MX518 discernable though?

Not something I could tell the difference over, really. Comfort > Touch of extra precision.

I use the MX518 on my primary whenever my MX Revolutions battery dies, and then the G3 on the other computer. I have a hard time actually using the G3, just because I don't find it comfortable. Maybe the more you use it, it will grow on you... I don't know.

U

Unregistered

Good Review

I have been using the mx300 for a long time now and really like it, but I want something that is a little better hardware-wise...
I read the other person and he said he used "fingertip control" or something... I've never really thought of it, but I think I might fall into that category (never knew there was a difference)..
when I use my friend's mx518, it feels like the thing takes up your whole hand... With this type of mouse (g3 or mx300), you click the mousebuttons with more of an arch in your finger... the 518 is bigger, so it stretches out your fingers and you push down the buttons using force from the tip part of your finger. With the g3, you push down the tip of your finger with the back part (its more of a vertical push)
here's a picture I drew:
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1637/mousecomparisonoe2.jpg
you can see, when pushing the buttons, the g3 has more of an arch, so IMO, you get more control, but the mx518 (it might be more comfortable) you have to push down with the tip sorta...
for me, though, my palm sorta barely touches the mouse, its not just my fingers...
OH, and the ridge in the mx518 is annoying. You see the little divider between the two mouse buttons? I hate that because I will scroll with my middle and then sometimes press right click with it, and I like to be able to scroll and click without having to pick up my finger over the ridge..

I really wanted this, but I'm afraid about the side buttons, they seem like a nusiance (sp?)...
can you tell me how much the mouse weighs (ounces?). The mx300 is actually pretty heavy (IMO), and I like that. On logitech's site, they advertside the g3 as "a light weight" mouse.. I dont think I would like that...
how much does the 518 weigh in comparison?
THANKS

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I really wanted this, but I'm afraid about the side buttons, they seem like a nusiance

Yes... this is one reason I dislike the mouse for my own use. As for weight, the G3 feels a -little- lighter than the MX518... but not equal.

I am finding another weird problem with mine though... sometimes when I boot up the computer, the mouse will not work until I re-plug it in. Anyone else have this issue?

Anyway to Unregistered, if you are worried about those buttons, they probably -will- bother you if you are used to the MX518. I could not personally use it as a primary mouse. But, if you are left-handed it may be different in that situation.

U

Unregistered

So how is this mouse compared to the mx300 and g1? Thats the only thing that matters. recommending a mx5xx is stupid. the shape is a personal thing, and most ppl looking for a small mouse never want to use a big mouse like the mx5xx.