Legal DVD's vs. Pirated DVD's

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Once again, I have no idea of the true source of this one, but man, does it get the point across.

GxzeV.jpg

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
lol so true.
I wish companies won't treat paying customers like criminals sometimes. Ugh, like this net connection DRM thing for single player Assassin's Creed 2.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I like it ... I think I have stopped watching movies tho. Maybe in a couple of years I'll regress again.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Haha, I saw this just a few days ago! It's sooo true, I'd love to see a media industry CEO be presented with it to get their response. ;)

What's even more hilarious (or frustrating) is that according to my old law professor the FBI warning screen that has been plastered on VHS tapes and DVDs is just a threat without legal grounds, basically a hallow threat in regards to personal use.

sackyhack

Obliviot
Pretty accurate, however I'm a huge movie nerd so I buy lots of dvds and (mostly) blu-rays. I hate putting up with all of these screens, especially with blurays becase the PS3 drive is rather slow. But something about owning the movie just makes it more enjoyable for me. Not sure why, I guess I'm materialistic...

x.clay

Obliviot
I own all my movies but that picture makes a great point. If I am paying for a movie I shouldn't be forced to watch so much extra junk.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
sackyhack said:
Pretty accurate, however I'm a huge movie nerd so I buy lots of dvds and (mostly) blu-rays. I hate putting up with all of these screens, especially with blurays becase the PS3 drive is rather slow.

I actually found the opposite to be true. For some reason, I've had far better luck skipping past these stupid advertisements and even some warnings with the PS3. I popped in a DVD the other day, and some of the screens were forced. It's very frustrating when all you want to do is kick back and watch the freaking thing.

I forget which movie it was, but a couple of weeks ago I was watching a Blu-ray and there were literally like SIX of these advertisements for other films. I just kept hitting the R2 gamepad button to keep flicking through them. It was hilarious, because each "The following preview is rated" screen was a different color. Had to laugh as I was just scrolling through them all.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
is a PS3 the preferred or simplest method of getting a Blu-ray player? given that you would want a console for games anyway?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
PS3 was the cheapest BD player upon release and stayed that way for a while. On top of that, it got regular firmware updates to make it compliant with the constantly emerging BD standards while dedicated BD players had sporadic updates, if they got any at all. Some argue that dedicated players produce a better picture quality and sound than the PS3, but they cost more and you don't get a games console with them. You can find BD players a lot cheaper than a PS3 now, so it's not quite the same anymore, but for a quite a while at least, the PS3 was the better option.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
There was a time when even though I owned the movie I still ripped it and burnt it onto a blank so I didn't have to put up with all of the studio BS. It ended up being too costly and I got lazy.

I don't like being half way through my popcorn at the theater before the movie starts and I don't like falling asleep on the couch while the coming attractions roll.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
So true

Jeez that's exactly how I feel when I watch a movie. Sometimes when I'm at a friend's house they're like "Alright we're putting (insert movie name here) in!" I'm like "ok" and continue to play Half-Life 2 Deathmatch on my laptop. 20 minutes later I sign off of Steam, walk into the living room and sit down, and the movie is just starting. The funny thing is while I was playing I could hear everyone else complaining about how the DVD wouldn't let them skip the previews. LOL

Same thing with the movies. WAAAAY too many previews. I didn't pay 10 bucks (plus extra for popcorn and drink) just to finish them before the freaking movie even started! That's why 2 days ago I uh.....*coughcough*downloadedhowtotrainyourdragon*cough*. Guess what happened? I kicked back with my 2-liter Dr. Pepper and some chips and salsa and ENJOYED the movie.
________
Honda ST1300

Last edited: