LAN centers and the future

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Too bad it's always on the other side of the continent from me. I am sure there will be a few here who are interested.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I'd love to eventually be involved with a convention of some sort. They look like fun. Unfortunately, for some odd reason, they are never in my town. Even when in Texas. (quake con is, but thats an exception) The metroplex area here well out does the population of Houston when viewed as a collective, and quite frankly, Austin is TINY. It makes me wonder why conventions go there at all.

Houston I suppose has a larger concentration of ppl per square mile, and might arguably be more urbanized. But it is on the bottom of the country, and even people in texas HATE driving there.

Austin is just plain small compared to any other major city in the state, and argueably the country. WTF?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Hey man... the last time I was there it was for a "visit" / "camp" for football. The other big thing pointed out to me at my tender age of 17 was that a certain strip club was the one from Varsity Blues.

Oh and I was offered drugs by two different crack heads in the allyways next to the dorms.

I guess you have a point... gaming conventions need strip clubs and drugs...

Nismogtr34

Obliviot
lets see, Mug and mouse in frisco, closed. Gamewyze in plano, Closed, Lengendz in plano, Closed. Ive been to shadow lan, they are ok, Expensive food, Hardly any drink. $3.00 for a redbull, ripoff. Is there any other lan center in northern dallas, or in dallas?

project

Obliviot
Yup Dallas has XMax Games... Lots of board games, a bunch of new comps and the Battle Pods that Gamewyze had.

gameclucks

Obliviot
LAN centers are closing all the time...
Gigabytes in Miami (its in FL for sure, I think was in Miami) just closed looks like.. they were one of the bigger ones in the US.

I own a LAN Center in the Seattle area... we have been open for 7 years... not even going to try and claim I make money... but I luckily have another company that can help GameClucks cover its costs...

I did a netcast a few weeks ago, nerdRAGEtv.com about LAN Centers... its Episode 4 I believe that its in....
Check it out.

--GC Guy

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good to hear that the LAN is going well after all that time. I can't say I envy you, because I know just how much work it takes to make a LAN center succeed (and that's even without profit). I wish there were more LANs around here where I live, but there are none. I never want to see LAN dwindle to the point of extinction... they're a total blast. Sure, you could play friends online, but it's not the same.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Speaking from Korea's position on the subject (now that I have lived here for 3 months)

PC "BANG"s (the A is pronounced like AH) are in full swing here and probably never in trouble of being replaced.

I think something in the US would be more successful if it was a wireless network, with a stable and non invasive way of connecting.