LAN centers and the future

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
Due to technology in the home advancing to such a degree, the 80's/90's arcade culture is largely dead or dying. We have our own arcades in our living rooms, usually with a few consoles and a nice selection of fast-action games which don't demand quarters/dollars/cards each time we load. Are LAN centers and other pay-to-play locations doomed to the same fate?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Interesting topic....

I certainly hope not. The local LAN center where I live is always busy and more often than not, full of gamers. I personally do not go to LAN centers because the PC I have at home is far more powerfull than the ones they offer up there to play on.

I think that the LAN center is needed because there are a lot of people who either dont have the money or the will power to make a gaming PC and places like the LAN center provides these people with the chance to play these amazing games with people who enjoy those same exact games. They are great networking places and never_ever underestimate the brain storming potential of a group of nerds in one place. Actually, the more I think of it, LAN centers are great for the tech community because they get customers on a regular basis and are great ways for news about the industry to spread. They drive, albiet smalls percentages, sales of hardware and software and that motivates companys to fosuc more and more on the gaming community.
:techgage:

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
I think they will survive, maybe even thrive, in the right location, with the right marketing plan.
Besides their normal client base, could see them doing well as a (birthday, theme, group) party location, offering "internet cafe" services during otherwise slow hours.
While wider broadband availablity makes playing from home more economical in the long run, it is they only way for a group to play games on equally matched computers with minimum latentcy.
More extensive food service, other gameing (consoles, arcade) maybe even tie-ins to computer upgrades/repair/or sales (try it and buy it), could add more revenue streams.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
I found a local one quite recently: a ShadowLAN franchise. The room is quite dark with "cool lighting" here and there, with two rows of PC's lining each wall. One wall is bathed in a blue light, the other in red. "Blue Team" and "Red Team" adorn their respective walls, while the BYOC area takes up the whole middle of the room. Quite nice and quite conducive to group gaming. The network hub is on display behind a glass wall at the rear, mounted in an awesome open kiosk form with black lights, "pulsing electrodes" and other damn pretty effects. The atmosphere is certainly not something that can be achieved in the home.

I think LAN centers are a hub in the gaming world, They are growing faster than they are falling, with the cost of gaming parents don't like the idea of shelling out $500 per console plus the games, they would rather pay that $3 per hour and allow there kids to play that way.

The biggest LAN center I have been to would be none other than Howies Game Shack http://www.howies.com with over 200 PC's and 75 Consoles hooked up to Big screen TV's you can't get much better than that! it is a whole new world to play in a tournament that is 64 vs. 64 :) and everyone is in one room!

In all I think LAN centers are the next Movie Theater, As gaming is becoming apart of everyone lives and is growing faster than any industry they can’t go wrong.

Howie1.bmp

Howie2.bmp

Howie3.bmp

Last edited:
I don't really think they'll go away anytime soon. Besides providing a machine that you don't have to maintain, and the games that you don't have to buy, a LAN center is great for a budget gamer. I mean, c'mon.......if you're either a high school kid or an adult with strict financial responsibilities, can you really justify (or even afford) $1200-$2000 or more for a computer to play BF2 a couple of days a week on?

They also provide that easy community thing. You don't have to set up a dedicated server, wait for people to find you, and maybe get 3 people, one of whom's a total n00b, and the other two are "uber l337" knuckleheads that look for small servers that they can cheat on, to get their kill count up. A good LAN center doesn't allow cheating, keeps the riff-raff out, and makes for an enjoyable gaming time. Wish I had one around here, myself.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
You will have to forgive my fellow DFWer in either the folly of his youth, or missunderstanding of the differances between us and the rest of the world. (Im from the northeast side ft w mayne, HOLLA!)

There are a few key points to be made on the buisness side of things and this topic.

Things a LAN center needs to survive:

1. Enough users/customers willing to utlize their services.
2. Its all about location. Proximity and ease of access the consumer base.
3. Advertisement
4. Enough capital to survive with a fully up and running center for atleast 3-4 months.

Now I'm going to relate this to different scenarios (especially our here in texas) hopefully I'll clear up why this was a topic.

Numero Uno: The Users and customers willing.
~~~~~ Here in Texas where everything is spread out and the cost of living just really isnt that high to begin with, why go to a place to use their systems? Our priorities simply arenot centered around gaming or technology the way some other communities are. When you think of Texas some stereo types arise... few of them true. We do LOVE our football, well really just sports in general. And we simply still find it VERY odd for an individual to spend his entire day (or most of it) in a single location and not venture outside that often. For a gamer, thats an avg day. So why wouldnt we use a LAN center here? Games just arnt a priority enough to warrant needing a place like that. There just isnt that high of a demand on games. Its getting better, and we've come long long way, but for the most part even if you do find a gamer in Texas (and were getting alot of them in the next few generations) they still ussually play games that are more our tastes. You know... NBA live, NCAA (w/e the sport here), Shooting games. All of which can be done from home with friends. While our mommies make us lunch ;)

Numero Dos: Location
~~~~~In larger communities and cities that can be classified as "URBAN", LAN centers are an awsome idea! You have people walking alot of places, and you can actually get away with not having a car in some cases (see new york, detroit, chicago, reallyhugecity). Some people living in these areas have a school, mall, corner store, hospital, and a park all within walking distance. So sure why not put a LAN center in? Its a short walk and cheap to use! It's no different for you guys than going to the bank or dinner. In a more rural setting however, LAN center are a HORRIBLE idea. If i had a dime for every northerner who came down here and started up a mom and pop computer store with dreams of starting a LAN center Id be rich. I havent seen one keep theri store open loner than 6 months to a few years, and generally the LAN center idea is what drove them under. We are too spread out of a community and we literally drive everywhere. To school, to work, to the corner store for milk, even to a park. We have just as many people as some "urban" communities up north, the differance is that we are spread out over more (sometimes 5 - 6 times as many) square miles. If we ever even hear of a LAN center open its usually just to far out of the way to make us want to go there. Oh and god help the next LAN center that opens up in a mall down here. Gamers that are hardcore enough to want to game that much rarely go into a mall. So why put it there?

4: advertisement
Why should we come to you? jim down the street has the internet/an x box/playstation/old school nintendo... Now if it was in an urban place... Ppl will walk by your store, but in suberbia hell, with the store owned by some gamer himself on alow budget, how do we know you exist? We dont... and those flier the guy coming down from the north had printed off at kinkos and put on my windshield while i was in the movies onyl pissed me off... and i might have read 2 words on it.

5: Capital
If your store isnt fully up and running with enough features to warrant me coming back after i check it out... I wont be coming back. SO be sure to be up and running when i get there. If a LAN center can operate long enough for ppl to come in and see all the bells and whistles, its going to go under. In a Urban area where ppl know you opened up and see yoru buisness, they will pick up on it faster. In a rural area where we may not have been to that side of town in 10 years (its sometimes a 20-30 min drive jsut in a small town) it is going to take longer for us to get to know what you have and if we want to come there. So youd better have a bank account that can run income free for awhile.

There are probably alot of spelling errors in this... Ill check it later. Anyhow if you dissagree with anything let me know.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
^ My topic here was an open question and not Texas-centric. My original question was concerned with the rise of technology in the home and if it may one day oust the very concept of a LAN center - not just ShadowLAN Gaming in Richardson, TX. Your first point latched onto that, and I'd be curious about a possible (gradual) change in that mindset as time marches on. LAN centers are certainly blossoming at present, but I'm curious about the future as better and better hardware infiltrates the home, people become more and more tech-savvy, and gaming in general becomes more accessible. Hell, it's been said up and down this thread about people unable to or unwilling to do things on there own and instead opt for the LAN center. This strikes me as a fairly similar situation to the golden arcade era right before consoles swept the cultural living room.

On an actual Texas-centric note: Dallas is pretty steeped in LAN culture all the way around, but from my experience here it's been more of the home-brewed variety. LAN "parties" or other BYOC events rule the day on a weekly basis, headlined by the annual QuakeCon.

Last edited:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
pretty cool that all of us in the DFW area end up meeting over here!
;)

Plano for me, GameWyze seems to be doing a pretty decent biz up here in Plano, and I heard there is one in Dallas in a Mall I believe.

DFWFrag, on of the local Dallas LAN party groups has a LAN every month that pulls anywhere from 15 - 30 gamers for an evening of food, frag and fun.

Anyway... cool to see the Dallas area so heavily represented in this forum!
;)

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I was using texas as point to be made for rural areas...

Also, I give those places about another year of operation. Dallas is finally making the switch to being able to call themselves Urban... but lets face it, untill within the last year there wasnt even a grocery store downtown. (it was actually a news worthy event, made every channel)

If those places do stay in operation then it is a milestone in the evolution of dallas. But for the 2-3 that are doing ok... Literally 100's have failed in the last 5-6 years.

Madstork, you have some valid points, but those apply to all businesses, not just a LAN center........and I don't think the original question was Texas-centric?
There IS a whole 49 states outside of yours........ *grin*

Here in the Northeast, I'm not entirely certain a LAN center would do well, at least not on a large scale. The income level here is too low, most people don't have enough disposable income to afford a once-weekly gaming session. But, for that same reason, one might do well, because people also don't have the income to buy or build a gaming rig that could handle BF2. (for the record, I live in the third-largest city in Vermont, and I can walk from one end of town to the other in 20 minutes......."urban" is all in where you live)

I don't think the huge, 500 machine LAN centers have a long future, the cost is just too prohibitive. 5 years ago, a game that required a full system upgrade would only hit every couple of years. Lately, though, they've been coming every 6 months, and the way tech has shifted, it's no longer an option to just drop in a bunch of mid-range vid cards and call it good.

Another thing to keep in mind with location. Maybe for you, a 10-15 mile drive (based on 20-30 minutes driving time) is a long drive, and not worth making, out here the average person makes a drive that long just to get to work or the grocery store. When I was living in CT, I lived 45 miles from work. That's just the way the "urban centers" are laid out here, and with the small size of cities, many people live outside of town. You might have a valid point about your area, but that certainly doesn't hold true to most other areas. When I opened my first music shop, my search for location had "proximity to residential areas" way down the list. I was more concerned about being located as close to the retail/industrial area as possible. Sure, I wasn't close to where people lived, but I was so close to the shopping that making the trip was a no-brainer. Mom could drop dad and kid off at my shop, run around the corner and do the grocery shopping, dad and kid could then either walk to the grocery store, or mom could come pick them back up again. At any rate, a good retailer isn't going to necessarily take driving distance from the suburban areas into consideration..........you can't. If I tried to do that, I would have wound up close to, say, where you live, but twice as far away from the other 75% of the community. Bottom line is if it's something people want, they will come for it. Whether they continue to come is dependent on a whole bunch of other factors, location being one of the less important ones.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
They way our area is being layed out... unfortunatly, has left the residential and comercial area widely seperated. Keep in mind though that when I say commercial im not including the grocery and corner stores...

Oh and somethign else to consider is that in places like ours, one city is direct adjacent to the next. the DFW area is on ehuge metropolis that has been dubed "the metroplex". This wide area layout with one store in the neighboring city (a possible 25-40 min drive to get to) just isnt practical. And no we arenot theonly area laye dout like this. Im not making this a texas centric ? or topic, a simular statement can be made for most of the southwest region (not west coast, but southwest. If you dont know the differance take a geography class).

As for your small "urban" area. Sure... a small lan center could possibly survive in a place like that. Its not out of the question. But a large one? No way. And by small i mean 5-10 comps, and the LAN thing wouldnt probably be the main selling point of the store.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
Yes, at that point the store would essentially be treading into console territory; a few tv's, couple systems, the occasional Halo 2 tourney...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I think our dissagreement lies more in the fact that im from ft worth... we innately hate eachother. ;-p

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
madstork91 said:
a small lan center could possibly survive in a place like that. Its not out of the question. But a large one? No way. And by small i mean 5-10 comps, and the LAN thing wouldnt probably be the main selling point of the store.

BlindMonk said:
Yes, at that point the store would essentially be treading into console territory; a few tv's, couple systems, the occasional Halo 2 tourney...

'eavens to Betsy! I thought I was agreeing with you right there!

Casual atmosphere, MMOG's rather than direct FPS/RTS LAN competition, more in tune with a Wi-Fi providor than a multiplayer hotspot... qualities of an establishment where the LAN isn't the selling point.

Last edited:

madstork91

The One, The Only...
ok... ill tell you where im from then... The North Richland Hills Area. The closest they have ever built a LAN center to me was on the other side of NRH, ~20 min from me. I went there one time to check on some screen prices. It went under within 2 months of launching the LAN center.

The only place in my neck of the woods i see actually having a succesfull LAN center is in down town ft worth, ~30-40 min... + having to find a parking spot. How willing do you think I'm going to be to spend an hour getting someplace that I have to pay to play at? its cheaper for me to buy a router/hub and tell my friends to bring over their system/comps and bring a tv.

As for the getting along... you didnt know i was from ft worth ;-p