Keyboard Quandary

zacharyt1122

Obliviot
Ok, so I've finally jumped on getting rid of my terrible Microsoft mouse and picked up a Roccat Kone XTD and supplemented it with a Razor Vespula gaming pad. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new keyboard, and I'm 100% certain I want a Corsair Vengeance K70. Problem is I'm torn on the switch I want.

I've ruled out getting the red switch, and its a toss up between the blue or brown. I love the feel of both blues and browns, and I love the sound the blue makes. I haven't had a cherry board before, so I don't know how annoying the clicks will get over time, especially since I'm a gamer, and don't do much else.

I found some dampeners on Amazon. Has anyone used these? Does it quiet up the blues if I get tired of the clicking? Or should I play it safe and get the browns? Thanks:D

Heres the dampeners. http://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Rubber...cp_3_0BXW?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WASN9PEKA4T1Z1Q7WNW

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If JD on staff catches this thread, he'll shout, "Blue, blue, blue!" - he's a major fan. I'm not, because I don't like the noise that's created with them. On some keyboards, even browns can be overly loud and get some family members upset. If none of that matters to you, and you do in fact enjoy the sound that blues make, I think you'd very much enjoy them.

I think if you're a headphone user, blues would be a non-issue if you are gaming or doing anything, really. But if you only use speakers, the noise might get to you after a while. Only you really can know whether they will likely become a problem or not.

And yes, dampeners like that can help a fair bit, but don't expect the keys to suddenly become totally silent. Still, it'd be a notable improvement for sure.

zacharyt1122

Obliviot
This is one of those dive right in and regret it things for me. I'm going to bit the bullet and get the blues. I'm not a headphone gamer, but that'll be my next investment after the keyboard. I listened to some youtube videos, and the difference was noticable.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Grats man! Be sure to check back and let us know of your thoughts after getting the KB.

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
Hello zacharyt1122.

Rob's right: Blue is the switch for me. I've sampled five of Cherry's MX line - Blue, Green, Brown, Black, and Red is how I rate the switches, going from my favorite to my least preferred.

I suppose I've been desensitized to the sound that Blues and Greens make. I've never found the Blue switch to be loud; sure, they are audible, but they aren't loud at all.

But for typing, they are absolutely the best (for me, anyway). And as far as gaming goes, in my experience there's no advantage (or disadvantage, for that matter) using any other switch type.

As Rob said, please do share your experiences after getting your new Cherry MX Blue-shod plank!

zacharyt1122

Obliviot
So for a quick update: I'm not sure why I drug my feet for so long, but I finally jumped aboard the mechanical keyboard train. I went with the Corsair K70 with the blue switches. I purchased some 40 A-L red key switch dampners as well. but after a good week of usage, I decided I love the way it sounds as is! The K70 perfectly compliments my Roccat Kone XTD mouse, and in a fit of an impulse buy, I decided to buy ANOTHER mechanical keyboard. I was playing around with my friends Cherry red keyboard and the feel for quick reflex games is second to none. So now I'm awaiting my Cooler Master Quickfire Stealth to come in the mail, with red switches nonetheless.

I say its an impulse buy but really I can see the need for 2 mechanical keyboards. I love the tenkeyless design of the stealth, and the key caps that have the digits on the body of the key caps, not on the face. I'll use the K70 for 90% of gaming and everything else, but the Stealth will be best for quick action FPS games. Man I'm kicking myself for not jumping on the mechanical ship sooner! I've been missing out on so much over the years...

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm a certified non-believer in mechanical switch technology. It's just too loud. Lately I find that even membrane keyboards tend to be too clicky for my tastes, but then again I've always been a really fast, really heavy typer.

I've been clocked at 115 WPM.

Own horn <--- TOOT, TOOT!

Give me a keyboard with laptop style scissor switches any day.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
in a fit of an impulse buy, I decided to buy ANOTHER mechanical keyboard. I was playing around with my friends Cherry red keyboard and the feel for quick reflex games is second to none. So now I'm awaiting my Cooler Master Quickfire Stealth to come in the mail, with red switches nonetheless.

Ahh good, you're addicted. You might enjoy this sub-Reddit, then:

http://www.reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards

I'm a certified non-believer in mechanical switch technology. It's just too loud. Lately I find that even membrane keyboards tend to be too clicky for my tastes, but then again I've always been a really fast, really heavy typer.

I use red, and it's not that much louder than standard keyboards. If it is to you, you can just add some dampeners which will put it in line with membrane boards.

As for scissor switches, it's all about the feel of the feedback that people like with mechanicals. I don't really like the feedback on laptops.

That all said, I prefer red over anything, because other switches I've used have just been way, way too loud. So loud, someone two rooms away could hear it even with my door closed. That's kind of ridiculous.

zacharyt1122

Obliviot

I've been clocked at 115 WPM.

Own horn <--- TOOT, TOOT!

Give me a keyboard with laptop style scissor switches any day.

Its not about the speed I can type with it, its the beautiful feel of typing on it. It was like when I made the switch from an auto to a stick car, they may both get me from point a to b but the journey is more satisfying. The K70 makes it more engaging with every press and has the positive click of a finely crafted bolt action rifle.

I use red, and it's not that much louder than standard keyboards. If it is to you, you can just add some dampeners which will put it in line with membrane boards.

As for scissor switches, it's all about the feel of the feedback that people like with mechanicals. I don't really like the feedback on laptops.

That all said, I prefer red over anything, because other switches I've used have just been way, way too loud. So loud, someone two rooms away could hear it even with my door closed. That's kind of ridiculous.

The reds to me are too twitchy, awesome for fast action games but not as precise as the blues. That said, that's why I opted to have 2 keyboards. Thankfully I have a big enough desk to keep both on, and I can have one in the PS/2 port and the other in USB and both work at once, I can just move one out the way when I'm ready for the other. And thanks for that link Rob, I have a feeling this won't be my last 2 mechanicals. I'm even eying a Ducky Shine (gotta resist the urge...:eek:)

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
That's been my thing with red keys, they are not that great for typing due to being so responsive. I'm a sloppy typist, my fingers have a habit of grazing other keys. Under those conditions with a normal keyboard, those grazes don't register. With the red keys, just a slight depression and they'll register. I guess in some way that'll improve my typing, since it forces me to be more precise with my key presses; on the other hand, it's really annoying.

The first time I used reds for gaming, it really was quite the revelation, even for less critical things like MMOs; you reflexively hit the key, and before you finish, it's already activated. The other thing as well, was the weight of the key, reduced strain on the fingers. Typing on a rubber dome keyboard now starts to aggravate my RSI within an hour. Who'd have thought an extra 10-20 grams would make such a difference on RSI.

zacharyt1122

Obliviot
Agreed. Typing on blues and most mild gaming feels amazing, but you can't beat the reds for FPS's. Just playing UT for a little while I could feel the extra responsiveness. I can't make up my mind on which is my favorite so I'll be having 2 keyboards sitting on my desk for the near future. Now someone needs to make adjustable key switches, you know, one that you can alter the resistance and linearity?/tactileness? on the fly.