It's World Backup Day - Backup Your Shit!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Rob Williams, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    As the title says, don't be the fool that ends up losing data because you were too lazy to make proper backups! As always, I highly recommend SyncBack Free for the job, since it's quite powerful for being 100% free.

http://techgage.com/article/using_syncback_to_synchronize_your_windows_folders/

2. Optix

Optix Basket Chassis Staff Member

Dec 15, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I had to do a restore from a backup the previous day because latest AMD driver messes with Lord of The Rings Online. No matter what I did, even removing it and using Driver Cleaner wouldn't do the trick, but rolling back to an earlier back up did.

280GB of space might be used up by backups, but I'm happy to set it aside if it minimizes downtime. 15 minutes to restore is easier than hours to reformat, reinstall the OS and then try to get everything back to how I had it.

Like Rob said, backup your shit!

3. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    The Lord of the Rings Online
    276.3 hrs / 913 hrs

Are you sure it's not just a sign?!?! :D

(I kid, I know you obviously leave it open 24/7, I do the same in an MMO).

4. Optix

Optix Basket Chassis Staff Member

Dec 15, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Yeah, it's the launcher that Steam recognizes, not the actual game...or maybe I have a problem.

*twitch, twitch*

5. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    Oddly, Defiance is the same way. I had 4 hours clocked in before I actually played the game, because you need the launcher to DL the game :S