iPod... what is the attraction?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I know you said it was flawed, but I elaborated on it. I am merely saying, lots of things cost MORE money than another thing, but usually the featureset or quality is the reason. With the iPOD, I just don't see the attraction. With the iPOD, don't you *have* to use iTunes to get the songs on the player? Or am I mistaken there.

No offense about me calling you out.. I didn't mean anything by it. Of course, if you knew it was flawed.. why did you use it as an example? :p

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You do have to use iTunes to put the content onto your iPod but you do not have to purchase all your songs on iTunes. I have all my MP3s that I ahve had forever on my iPod. To me, iTunes is just a way to get the songs on the iPod.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Aye, that's what I thought. I just hate iTunes in general, so I hate the fact that you need to use it to get songs on your iPOD. Could be just me, I dunno. Most MP3 players I have used allowed you to just copy to it like a normal drive.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
DarkSynergy said:
Apple ain't going anywhere buddy.

And i hope they dont. I just wish the iPod department would hang itself from a bunk bed with a belt.

Drew said:
Just like a few other posts discussed to the *uninformed* general public any MP3 player is an iPod.

Someone agreed with stork? wtf? Within a week of 6/6/6 no less.

Rob Williams said:
Aye, that's what I thought. I just hate iTunes in general, so I hate the fact that you need to use it to get songs on your iPOD. Could be just me, I dunno. Most MP3 players I have used allowed you to just copy to it like a normal drive.

Ive never have to use a program to put my song on an mp3 player. And since apple has started to require that you download iTunes with quicktime ive been using a quicktime alternative. Forcing a software bundle on the avg comp user to use something that has always been free is down right bullshit. Its enough for me to want to start an anti iPod advocacy group. (This reminds me of a time I quit playing a game because they bundled gameguard on to the client and now all their dual core problems would have been easily fixed had they not done it... *cough*lineage2gameguardbullshit*cough*)

Last edited:

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Quick question..

How many of you actually bring the iPod out in public and listen to it on regular occasion?

I, for one, don't have the need to listen to something outside of my car. I pull up to Wal-Mart I'm not going to need an iPod while I browse the entertainment section playing demo games, or looking at their "top of the line" computer equipment. Such a joke.

What about the gas station?. You going to bring that bad boy out while you're pumping gas? I think not. Movie theatre? No.

Mall.. that's a maybe. If I'm with some friends then, no. If I'm by myself.. probably not. There's enough to worry about if I pick up some new clothes or drop by Hot Topic. I don't need to wonder where I should put my iPod when I'm buying shot glasses with Family Guy quotes on em.

I've got an mp3 head unit in my car, and I can load over 100 songs on a single cd. Other than the fact that an mp3 device like that can save me from burning cd's, I don't need it. I don't know too many people with iPods, and most of those don't leave their house or car. I don't see the attraction it has. I don't need it either, so that's a big factor. Maybe I'm just not metro-sexual enough... I certainly hope not.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Jakal said:
How many of you actually bring the iPod out in public and listen to it on regular occasion?

That really has nothing to do with iPods specifically. If you like to work out, then an mp3 player is kick ass, because you can run and not have the music skip.

If I had to take a bus to work everyday like many do, I would be using it then also. I'd be more apt to use a smaller MP3 player though, not one that looks like a pack of cigarettes in your back pocket.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Even if you like the device itself, and believe it's worth the money, there is a certain morality factor in buying one, given the current stories about the iPod factories.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=14915
not that other chinese factories may not be just as much of a sweat shop, but Apple is big enough andd charging enough to supervise the conduct of their contractors without waiting for the press to call them on it.
Hardly fits the touchy feely, good for the planet, good for the people, that Appledom portrays itself as, more like a nike/walmart "hard, forced labor is good for children and other subhumans" as long as we profit from it.

Last edited:

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I do. I love my lil mp3 player. And if youve known me at all, you know im a music freak.

I listen to music, at home, on a jog, lifting weights, on a hike, a few times in a store, ALOT of times in a restraunt when i dont feel like listening to the kids 3 tables down, between classes, by the pool. Come to think of it, if you see me, chances are ive been listening to music within the last 2 minutes if im not listening to it then.

dibene

Obliviot
It's simple, Apple marketed well enough to get the name "Ipod" inducted into everyday language. The association with mobile media is huge!

How many unimformed, heavily marketed sheep associate AOL as the internet? More than we know. A+ to the marketing staff.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
my samsung yp-t7x died today... I cant get it to work and their site F%$#in sux ballz at helping me trouble shoot it. I WANY MY MP3!

So... observe a moment of silence, or rock out, in rememberance of my mp3 player.

(any suggestions on a new one for < ~150 )