iPod... what is the attraction?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I for one, appreciate Apple. They have given a lot to the computer industry and are leaders in innovation.

What I want to know is... why is the iPod so popular? It stores music... plays music... plays DRM-protected music... you can download music onto it... watch video on it... Oh and costs twice as much as another other capable player.

Simply put... what is it about the iPod that is so flipping amazing? I cannot see one clear cut reason why I should pay twice as much for an MP3 player, when the Creative Zen [just an example] can do the exact same thing for less cash. No, I am not a cheap bastard. I just don't understand with the fasination with a product that does the same thing as a million other products.

Is there a contract you have to sign when you buy the iPod that signifies you as a fanboi? From many standards, the player isn't even attractive. Not that I am into fancy looking products, but the iPod is boring. No I am not an iPod hater.. I just would love to know WHY they are so much better than other players on the market. WHY are they worth the money?

/morning coffee was disgusting rant

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What's having sex with a subway train have to do with an iPod???

But no, I am not metro-sexually active atm.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I don't see the attraction to the iPod, I personally see them as an average product that got blown all out of proportion.

BlackAndy

Obliviot
madmat said:
The US in in some sort of iPod fetish...I just find it highly puzzling.
Apple has one hell of a marketing campaign... There are way too many people who care about being trendy, over the value and function of a product. Ever see a TV commercial for ANY other player? I don't think I have... Two of my siblings bought iPods about the same time as I bought my "cheapo" Sansa player. Both of them had to return the iPods for warranty within 4 months, I use mine more, and have never had a problem, but I don't look trendy while listening to music.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I could care less about looking trendy, I'm a function over form kind of guy. If it works great then it's the thing to have, looking good doing it is just something extra but looking like a brick while functioning better than something that's gold plated and has spinners is great.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
I feel the same way as Rob, I've had many arguements with a friend about iPods. He says that they are simply "better" and all apple's are just "faster, cheaper, better". He doesn't have a clue! I would rather have a Creative Zen Video over an iPod any day.

Also on the computer front, lately was an macintel benched running OSX and XP and it was found it scored a lot higher in XP?

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
I have to agree, the iPod is overhyped, overpriced, and over valued. And I actually have one.
recieved a 30 gig video as a gift, played with it for a couple days, plan on giving it to my son, but I would gladly trade it for an equal value of other more generic MP3/ flash storage devices.
don't like the propietary itunes software, or most of the third party workarounds to load what I want to hear, I wish I could just (easily!) use it as a 30gig external drive, and use the LCD for indexing, searching and brief text viewing. Unfortunately loading and unloading MY text, data and Pics from it isn't as easy is it could or should be.
plus for the cost of the extra cables, adaptors and chargers needed to make it really useful I could buy a basic external 20-30 gig drive (maybe not as small, but certainly as fast and more convienent)
Apple is a cult.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
How many of you when you have your mp3 players out and about town are asked if that is an "iPOD"... I loathe that question.

Ipod the the common mans standard for what an mp3 player is unfortunatly. When most ppl go looking for something to play music with these days they dont say "I think ill go look for an mp3 player", they say "I think ill go look at those Ipods at walmart or bestbuy." Ive noticed with some of the smaller ones that the Ipods do infact hold more music. (Atleast they did a lil over a year ago when i bought my 512mb samsung for 100$, I refused to buy the 100$ ipod that held 1.5 gb i think.)

Its true that the mp3 players are starting to catch up in atleast storage space, but it very lil, very late. For now "FREE MUSIC ON ITUNES!" and all those commercials make common ppl run to and love steve jobs. It sucks, but they are the standard for the market right now. I hope they tank soon.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Well then.....you all hate the iPod.

As a owner of a 30GB Video iPod, I must say that I completely, 100% wasted my money. It does work and it does play music and videos but I can count the number of video files and photos I have on the thing with the hand of an amputee. I just have it for music and it has lasted a few drops from semis so I have to give credit where credit is due.

I think its along the lines of what Andy said. People are vain and they want the best. Apple has marketed the iPod as the best, therefore people have bought them like the day of reckoning is at hand.

On a differant argument though, how many people think that spending 400 dollars for a video card is silly..... Practically everyone who sees my computer thinks that. It's all about priorities. I know that the video card example is flawed. They are priced to reflect their performance level but people spend bukoo bucks on things that are important to them.

The Apple iPod, like it or not, is an icon at this point. Its an item that people that have it more often than not love, and those who do not have one, really want one. I would not call it a fad. 50 million units sold is certainly not a fad....

...IT ****ING NUTS!

Do I love my iPod, no but I certainly like it enough to continue using it. I dont wish that I had never bought it, but if I had it to do over again, I would go with something smaller, flash based and cheaper.

But thats just me.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
madstork91 said:
I hope they tank soon.

Apple ain't going anywhere buddy. Everyone hates apple for the same reason. Because they are supposed to hate them. Companies can learn a lot from their business practices. The iPod wasn't/isn't a fluke, it's a marketing masterpeice.

BlackAndy

Obliviot
DarkSynergy said:
Well then.....you all hate the iPod.

As a owner of a 30GB Video iPod, I must say that I completely, 100% wasted my money. ...
I think its along the lines of what Andy said.
That should teach you to doubt what I say EVER again!

DarkSynergy said:
On a differant argument though, how many people think that spending 400 dollars for a video card is silly..... Practically everyone who sees my computer thinks that.
Awww Greg, think of who sees that setup... we both know that the wife and family can't fathom how cool your PC is, just as we can't fathom why they think shopping and cleaning is so cool.
Play ya flute Greg!!
Black Andy

Drew

E.M.I.
DarkSynergy said:
The iPod wasn't/isn't a fluke, it's a marketing masterpeice.

I agree with you totally, they are like the Kleenex (which is actually facial tissue, Kleenex is just a brand name) of MP3 players.

Just like a few other posts discussed to the *uninformed* general public any MP3 player is an iPod.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
DarkSynergy said:
On a differant argument though, how many people think that spending 400 dollars for a video card is silly..... Practically everyone who sees my computer thinks that. It's all about priorities. I know that the video card example is flawed. They are priced to reflect their performance level but people spend bukoo bucks on things that are important to them.

Yes, but does a $200 GPU perform like a $400 GPU? No, so that doesn't really explain why someone wants the best and pays $400 for an MP3 player. I still don't see what makes it the best either. Just because they market it more than anyone else doesn't mean it's better.

leecho7

Partition Master
I have a 512mb ipod shuffle that a friend gave to me as he got his 30gig ipod (nano/micro/bullshit/whateverthatdamnnamewas). I have to admit, because my cd player in my car doesn't work, I bought an adapter to listen to music on my ipod through my cassette player, and I enjoy it alot. Would I have payed for an ipod? No, I could have found a better alternative if I had to buy one. But since I got mine for free, it's cool.

I wouldn't consider myself an Apple fanboy, but so far I do like the iMac G5 that I currently own. (It's the G5 chip, not the Intel Core DUo... which means I have the older one.)
I'm into video production and editing, and it serves my needs a lot better than my pc. I never tried any of the dual core proc's yet, but I bet they can be a whole lot better than any iMac out there. Perhaps better than the Powermac G5, and for fraction of the price too (unless you totally went crazy).
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6354003/wo/13Hptx80Khk72I6LXibGnj2b4JN/2.?p=0

The main reason why I'm sticking with Apple for video editing now is because of the Final Cut Studio program(s). They are the best software for production and editing I have used to date. But would I pay 1200 for the software? F*CK NO! Instead I aquired it... by sleeping with a half midget named LaFawnduh.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Rob Williams said:
Yes, but does a $200 GPU perform like a $400 GPU? No, so that doesn't really explain why someone wants the best and pays $400 for an MP3 player. I still don't see what makes it the best either. Just because they market it more than anyone else doesn't mean it's better.

Man, I even said that the video card example was flawed and you still call me out on it. I was pointing out that you and I do not care to spend the money on things like that. Yes, the higher up the price scale you go, the better performance you get, so in all honesty, it was a flawed example.

And I am with you in not knowing why it is so popular. No one has said it's the best either, you just did. And to come out and say it, it is not the best, just among the top teir of MP3 players. I wasted my money on my iPod but I would not say that I am dissatisfied with it either.