Intel's Sandy Bridge Revealed: Core i5-2500K & i7-2600K Reviewed

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm not sure there are any bad P67 motherboards at this stage in the game unless you run into issues due to an immature BIOS. I've been checking up on them and they look awesome!

Misha

Obliviot
Yes, but I want to OC Sandy Bridge like crazy for 24/7h work :)

I'm thinking about this MoBo:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-C45.html

In my country, almost 60$ cheaper than Asus...
What are you thinking?
I will also use oportunity to add one Vertex 2 SSD, when i'm instaling new windows, to not waist time any more waiting for my adobe software to load...

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Also bare in mind about whether you want to make use of the on-die IGP for things like video encoding. Intel's made a bit of a mess with the chipsets in that if you go with H67, you get to use the IGP, but can't overclock very well. If you go P67, then you can overclock as much as you want (with a K series chip anyway), but you loose the IGP completely. If you want both OC and the IGP, then you'll have to wait for the Z67 boards to come out. Even the Lucid logix patch won't work on the P67 since it can't access the IGP at all.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Not a bad looking board, Misha but it's missing a 2nd PCI-E slot...you never know when you might trip over a 2nd card.

Misha

Obliviot
I ended up with Asus P8P67 and Intel i7-2600K
I thought about 2500K, but wasn't available and when i start to work, i have no time for building new PC any more...

I will post my OC results when i rebuild my PC :)

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Call the manufacturer immediately and see what they'll do. They sold you a board with a part that has been acknowledged as defective so I would hope they have some sort of plan in place.

Misha

Obliviot
Maybe in Canada... :)
But in eastern Europe? :) A little bit harder...
I guess we should wait for world wide announcement by Asus...

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Try contacting Intel directly. That's where I'd start. Then work your way back to the motherboard manufacturer.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ASUS should be announcing something soon. There are a lot of details to peruse over before issuing a release.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'm not sure I'd buy into their use-it-for-now way of thinking. If it can possibly take a drive with it then unless they plan on reimbursing me for that as well as exchanging the motherboard, I'd be shutting my system off.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't think it does affect the drives themselves... just the ports. If the problem occurred, the PC just wouldn't see the drive.

Misha

Obliviot
I bought one Vertex for my system drive, one 2TB backup drive and i have four (4) 500GB hard drives for my projects and two optical drives, DVD and BR burners. (I really need 2 optical drives!!!)

I really needs all SATA ports, and really don't have time to rebuild my work PC in few months again!
Also, preparing of new PC takes some time.
I must install Windows and Adobe CS suite, but i have dozens of small programs, plug-ins and similar programs!
Just to mention a few, FTP client and access for my server and all clients servers...
All bookmarks i use, all fonts i use, codecs, i really can't remember all of them, but there are really lots of them.

Then, chat histories.
I use Skype and msn to talk with my international clients.
I really need history of our conversations. Sometimes, i need some clarification about projects and so...
I know i can backup those things, export bookmarks, recover all paswords for various forums... but those takes huge amount of my valuable time!

It is major pain in the... to reinstall windows if you do something important on your PC, not to mention when you work for major clients in your country...

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Anandtech's article made it pretty clear, the drives (and more importantly their data) aren't susceptible to damage from this issue. Normal usage scenarios shouldn't see any degradation until either after severe use, overvoltage, high temps, or several years of normal use...

Because it will take Intel considerable time to manufacture enough revised chipsets, it very well could be March or April before consumers can start RMA'ing boards and expect to receive replacements quickly. If you already own the motherboard your best bet is to use it like normal until your board manufacturer releases further information on their plans. Users can switch the drive(s) to the SATA 6Gb/s ports as these are unaffected by the defect, and/or switch the drives to any 3rd party controllers as many boards include at least one to add additional SATA ports to the board.

Motherboard manufacturers only found out about this problem after consumers did... Intel stated they were legally obligated to notify consumers first before their own partners. Sounds slightly odd to me, but I'm not a lawyer that specializes in product recalls so I couldn't say. :)

Edit: Misha, ya snuck your post in under mine! Again you should be fine using the drives like normal in all the ports... the problem isn't supposed to manifest for some time, and when it does it at first only causes a loss of performance. As the degredation grows more severe drives will cease to be detected, but Intel stated the data & drives both would be fine. I don't see how using the board for 3 more months poses any risk at the present time. Even if you had a particularly badly affected board that somehow manifested symptoms early, worst issue could I see occurring would be a new coaster if you tried to burn a DVD, since the signal retransmissions would cause delays and result in buffer overruns.

If you need 8 SATA ports and don't trust the motherboard enough to use it for a few more months, then unfortunately it looks like you either need to go back to an old system or fork out the money to buy a SATA PCIe controller card. Many enthusiast boards have 2-4 unaffected SATA ports on them and that should be enough for most users, but not in your case.

Last edited:

Misha

Obliviot
I guess you're right, but what about (over)writing of a really huge files? Like i use to do when i work in Photoshop?

I would guess that there would be a chance that write's would fail, but wouldn't there also be a higher chance that you would see data corruption of the volume?

If the SATA buss is throwing errors all the time, what is the probability that their error correction would miss a couple of them and ruin the volume.

Having a SATA drive or port go down would be bad, but corrupting a volume would be catastrophic.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Going by how Anandtech explained it, if a write/read command fails the SATA controller will re-issue the command to the drive until it succeeds. Gradually as the controller begins to fail it will have to issue more and more resends, which is how the performance loss that was mentioned occurs. (WiFi is based on this principle as many packets don't make it and get resent with the user completely unaware) Only after a certain point will the controller reach a state where it can't detect a drive during POST, hence where it fails outright.

Photoshop is a pretty standard program that would fall under what I consider to be normal usage, so I wouldn't worry about that. Keep in mind the controllers were tested before Intel began mass production of the chipset, and that wasn't enough to detect the problem. It took Intel artificially raising the voltages and/or temperatures for the controller and combining with 24/7 stress testing to simulate a few years of wear before Intel able to reproduce the issue in enough of their test setups to recognize it was more than just a few defective chips.

A RAID array would stress the controller more, but again Intel stated it expected to see only 5-15% of controllers fail after three years of use. Short of overvolting or cooking the chipset, a few months of use shouldn't pose any difficulties for the chipset. Worst case I imagine the delays imposed by an already degraded controller might cause problems for burning optical discs (where latency is a major concern), but for hard drives and SSD's they should only suffer a loss of performance. And that's after a few years of use.

Again if you aren't satisfied with that and using the 2-4 unaffect ports isn't sufficient, the only choices left are to use an older computer or to buy a PCIe SATA controller card. Four port SATA cards start around $30. But honestly I wouldn't worry about using the board for just three months if I personally had to use an affected port. If the problem was likely to occur that soon it's a safe bet Intel would've discovered it in the Q&A testing before they launched the chipset.

Last edited:

Misha

Obliviot
OK, thanks, i know how SATA interface work, but in case of some error, i really don't had any idea how it could work in real world environment with some massive issue in data traffic...

I hope you're right...

I read Anandtech article, but there is huge amount of noise in their comments, so there are no point to ask any question there... to much trolls and AMD/Intels fan boys bitching to each others...