Intel To Take Over Nvidia?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
There have been a lot of rumors going around lately about the state of Nvidia. One such rumor caused a late rally in Nvidia's share price earlier this month according to Bloomberg.com.

There's no doubt that Intel did a belly flop into the kiddy pool with what could have been a great alternative to the green/red team when they scaled back the intent of Larabee from a general purpose/gaming GPU to a workstation GPU and as of yet have been unable to touch Nvidia's Quadro or ATI's FirePro.

There's also no doubt that Intel, with a market cap of $110 billion has the cash to buy Nvidia if they wanted to. Nvidia's market cap is just over $6.8 billion. Certainly nothing to scoff at but it is not out of reach of Intel. Intel would also gain control of Nvidia's fabrication plants giving Larabee a huge kick start.

To make matters more confusing Apple is rumored to be interested in Nvidia as well. It may have to do with the fact that Apple uses Nvidia in their notebooks although they did just switch over to ATI for their desktops.

Rumors will always be part of the tech world so there is bound to be every manner of theory and paranoid conspiracy related to what will happen to just about every company. I personally do not believe Nvidia is hurting as bad as people say but who knows what is going to happen. Money makes the world go round but it makes me a bit anxious to think about what this will mean for the current low prices that we are experiencing with mid to low end cards if a potential powerhouse like Intel is at the reigns

Thoughts?

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I think if Intel bought em their prices may go up but they cant go too high or no one will buy the gpus, that or if they slowly raise em amd could under cut em or they could just end up at roughly the same high prices which would mean that no one could afford a decent gpu again. I personally hope if Intel buys em they stay competitive and continue to make good products, I do however wonder if they did acquire Nvidia would they integrate Nvidia gpus into their processors or stick with Intel GMA gpus?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
If Intel were to buy Nvidia there is nothing to say that it won't be mired in months if not years of anti-trust litigation because they would hold too much of the market. With such deep pockets it still wouldn't matter but we'll see.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
lol then maybe AMD buy em??? But more seriously... if they were going under, I wonder who would purchase em?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Intel would cry foul three ways from Sunday if AMD bought Nvidia. They'd control almost all of the market. I'm sure there would be court cases flying left and right.

Something else to think about - what would happen to their partners like EVGA if Nvidia were bought by Intel? Would they have the door slammed in their face?

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Lol no not even close..... Intel and AMD are 2 separate companies..... Intel has great processors & BS GPUs AMD has great GPUs and decent processors, and Intel couldn't own AMD they would be a monopoly and be the only maker of x86 CPUs.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
If TheCrimsonStar mean Intel pwns AMD, then yes and no. Intel = more performance for more money. AMD = more budget options and backward compatibility. Take your pick of which one is more important to you.

As DarkStarr said they are two very different companies.