Intel Releases i7-2700K; Lowers Price on i3-2120 & Two Pentium Models

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel over the weekend acknowledged the release of its latest top-end Sandy Bridge chip, the Core i7-2700K, while at the same time lowered the prices on three select lower-end models. The i7-2700K is nothing more than a clock boost, bumping things up 100MHz (on both the base clock and turbo clock, for 3.50GHz and 3.90GHz, respectively). It doesn't replace the i7-2600K, but instead retails for $15 more, settling in at $332 (per 1,000).

official_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Given the 2600K overclockability (new word!), I must confess I'm not sure I understand the idea behind this product. 100 Mhz is what you get from just one increase on the default multiplier (100x) of the 2600K.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There are two reasons that companies like Intel and AMD release clock-bumped products:

A) Better model number, and it's a newer release (aka: it appears better to the consumer)
B) Most people don't overclock, so a $15 premium for an extra 100MHz might seem worth it

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Especially businesses and such where the CPU can not be overclocked - and where overclocking voids the warranty. So they pay for guaranteed performance.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Given the 2600K overclockability (new word!), I must confess I'm not sure I understand the idea behind this product. 100 Mhz is what you get from just one increase on the default multiplier (100x) of the 2600K.

That's part of the issue. 2600K chips may not OC as well if Intel starts aggressively binning the better silicon to 2700K sku's. Worst case scenario is that future 2600K chips would overclock worse, because the better silicon would instead go towards the 2700K.

There is always some degree of binning taking place, the only question is to what degree is it being done. It's not yet known if the 2700's will introduce a new stepping yet, either.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Oooh, Sandy Bridge is so close I can taste it.

It tastes like performance...and metal.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Thanks for the link Rob! Looks like they are the same stepping, and are still missing VT-d. Might be a better bin, but otherwise it's a fully identical chip then.