Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What do you get when you take one of the best performing CPUs from last year and double it? Twice as much to love, of course. We are taking a look at Intels latest Quad-Core processor, the Q6600. Let's see how it performs when compared to it's siblings.

You can read the full review here and discuss it in this thread!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Intel's been on the ball lately, with the release of the Core2Duo, and now the Quad for populous consumption. Hearing about the 80 core, teraflop chip, these are amazing times we're living in.

Quad core is just another leap in the evolution of computer processing. It provides the user with vast amounts of processing power, and like Rob showed, can cut production times in half, or better. The new 65nm, and later on 45nm, processes are keeping temperatures manageable, and keeping air cooling a viable solution.

These chips are impressive in every aspect, and support is just going to grow. The average user will probably never need something so powerful, but those who multi-task heavy applications (gamers, media producers, graphic designers) are going to love them.

You can show as many graphs and benchmarks as you want, but people aren't going to appreciate the power these chips harness until they're using one. The benefits are amazing. If anyone does a fair amount of video editing, or even CAD, on a regular basis, this is definitely a chip you'll enjoy. That's a great read, Rob. I really enjoyed it. New technology is always an impressive subject.

Last edited:
M

Matt

Smokin !!!!

Damn this is one core, or should I say 4 cores, that really rock
the nubian landscape.

Smokin!!!

OBIEWAHN

Obliviot
I am thinking of buying a new PC and am comparing to fairly identical systems one packing the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual Core Processor and one a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. Do people have any views on which would be the better to have and if so why?

MakubeX

Partition Master
I am thinking of buying a new PC and am comparing to fairly identical systems one packing the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual Core Processor and one a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. Do people have any views on which would be the better to have and if so why?
Well, IMO with the G0 Q6600 in the market now, I really don't see any reason for getting the E6850 over the Q6600 G0.

Before, the E6850 had the advantage of running cooler and overclocking much higher. But now with the Q6600 G0 stepping, the difference in temp and overclockability is too little to even matter.

Get the Q6600 G0 stepping and a P35 board. ;)

A

Art

Great Review

I was buying a new Dell computer and was looking for information on the Q6600 processor. I searched the net and came across your review which I found extremely useful in deciding what to buy (I went for the Q6600) so just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work.

A

Apache0c

Useful information

This article provided me with the last piece of information I was looking for and couldnt find anywhere else. I'm building a new computer and had already planned to go with the G0 slacr Q6600. But I couldnt find anywhere that made it clear how the cache was managed between the four cores until I read your article. The 8mb of cache make this processor even more of a bargin at the current market rate of about $200.

Thanks!

U

Unregistered jono

confused

Well, IMO with the G0 Q6600 in the market now, I really don't see any reason for getting the E6850 over the Q6600 G0.

Before, the E6850 had the advantage of running cooler and overclocking much higher. But now with the Q6600 G0 stepping, the difference in temp and overclockability is too little to even matter.

Get the Q6600 G0 stepping and a P35 board. ;)

I too was thinking of getting the GO Q6600 or the E8400 45 nm chip I realize the Q6600 is quad and E8400 c2d but dont know which is the better or faster chip or which one is future proof as I dont intend chasing technology 1. I couldnt keep up and 2. couldnt afford to. I go blind reading these forums lol and I dont recall anyone spelling out the diff between these to chips other than one is 65nm and the other is 45nm anyone help please thanks in advance

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I too was thinking of getting the GO Q6600 or the E8400 45 nm chip I realize the Q6600 is quad and E8400 c2d but dont know which is the better or faster chip or which one is future proof as I dont intend chasing technology 1. I couldnt keep up and 2. couldnt afford to. I go blind reading these forums lol and I dont recall anyone spelling out the diff between these to chips other than one is 65nm and the other is 45nm anyone help please thanks in advance
e8400 IS 45NM AND 3.0 GHz ....12mb cache AND it's 189.00 USD
q6600 is 65nm AND 2.4 GHz..... 4 mb cache and its 209.00 USD

E8400 is faster, cheaper, cooler and has a larger cache than Q6600
Unless you are doing intense cpu relient programs, I'd go with the E8400
Quad core cpu's dont help you in gaming...yet

Future Proof?....nothing is future proof

Merlin

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

How many Ghz?

hey, im no expert on computers, but if its a quad core, and its the equivelant of 2 of that other cpu u said (E6600 something or other). and that other cpu is 2.4Ghz. does that mean the Quad is actuly 4.8Ghz altogether?

I just bought this Q6600 and would liek to know if i did a good buy for playing flight simulator?