Initial Reviews Put Duke Nukem Forever as a 'Mediocre' Game

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With Duke Nukem Forever having launched this past Friday internationally and launching tomorrow in North America, it's of little surprise that the launch reviews are already beginning to pour out. The game has sure taken "forever" to get here, so was it worth the wait? Judging by the aggregate scores of the reviews published so far... no, not at all. What's the deal? Did Duke forget to pick up a fresh pack of gum?

duke_nukem_forever_050709.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You planning on playing tonight? We can share notes on MSN, haha :D

Perhaps if you are interested we could get some Duke MP going this week. Though I am not sure at the moment how that even works or what modes are included.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Maybe the womanizing, loud mouth, libido driven lead character doesn't transfer over to non-North American audiences...and reviewers.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
the reviewers either have no sense of humor or were expecting too much!

Perfectly said Doom. I agree 100%

Though it could just end up being a shitty game. Either way, I'm sure Ill give it a play through for old time's sake.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Well I have been playing it for the past 3 hours and I have to say I enjoy it. I agree there is nothing ground breaking, nothing stands out in a positive way for families, if you do not like crude humor you will not like this game and hell if you can't stand cursing then go back to farmville or bejeweled! I haven't read any of the console reviews and I really don't want to because it feels like they want to complain about about M games any more, if they aren't T or lower forget getting their approval unless of course it's an Activision, EA or Ubisoft AAA game it seems like.

Anyways I digress. I just feel like Duke Nukem Forever is a fairly solid game thus far. I find some of the humor obnoxious and rude, but hey it's Duke it's to be expected now if it was a Left Behind Game I would be raising a red flag and starting a debate over it. There are some game play elements that do need to change, like Rob and I were talking I know how many Ego Items there are in a level because it shows it on my G19/G13 displays. However there is nothing in the game to help a player out with out such a device, very stupid.

All in all this game is shaping up to an average SP campaign but it has more to offer then just SP. I will put my finals thoughts (not Jerry Springer style) on the SP and on the MP when I finish the later this week. Till then stay frosty guys, summer is here. (c;

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Glad to read that you aren't disappointed Kayden.

I'm anxious to get Rob's ideas on it as well.

marfig

No ROM battery
Ars published today an article that does explore more in-depth the game humor. I honestly don't recall the last time I saw a Ben Kuchera's article that I fully agreed with. But this is one.

Above all, Doomsday, I take issue with this notion that, if I don't find it funny I have no sense of humor. If you don't mind me lecturing, it's a fallacy known as Questionable Cause. And in fact a very easy fallacy to prove wrong if you were me...

I don't know, maybe this attitude rises from attempting to be defensive when confronted with a liking for something others consider of poor taste. Can't really blame you. After all those being vocal about their dislike for how Duke Nukem's Forever uses humor in the game tend to be offensive towards those admitting their like for it. But truth the matter is that everyone likes different things and in different degrees. And that never meant people can be compared on the basis of their preferences.

Anyways, I find the game humor boring, off-the-roof, predictable and unintelligent (the humor, not the person laughing at it), repetitive, and too imposing. The original game was a lot smarter in how it applied humor by being less common and often unexpected. I also find DNF humor to be crass and childish (the humor, not the person laughing at it), often even unnecessary.

DNF makers only saw one thing in the original game; the humor. They forgot all about what actually made the game a cult classic; level design, playability and novelty. They completely and utterly missed the target on what really made Duke kick ass. And as such, over a decade and a half later they produced an incredibly mediocre game in comparison with the original that will soon be completely forgotten and will never, ever, rise to the level of the original. Make no mistake. In fact, it's already happening; the only thing this game did to me and a few friends, for instance, was a desire to install the original and have some fun fragging each other like the good ol' days.

This didn't ever stop me from buying DNF. The game had a place on my shopping list. It's the one and only sequel to Duke FPS. And with the whole history behind the development of DNF, how could I not buy it!?

But that the game is utter crap, that it is.

Last edited:

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Damn, I don't really want to spend $50 bucks + taxes on crap, Regardless, I tried to get it today, but every place I went only had the console version, :mad: (I live on the west side of Saint John).

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
There's no Game Stop/EB games on the west side. I'm sure they'd have it. But I tried Gamezilla and Zellers. I might try Gamestop tomorrow.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Ahh...thought you meant you tried the city. Between GameStop and EB Games in the mall, they should have it. Future Shop is usually marked up a few bucks.

You could always break down and pick it up on Steam but then you have to download it.

marfig

No ROM battery
Could you manage a 1 hour trip to Fredericton? According to this they have a decent mall over there; the Regent Mall.

The mall website lists a GameStop shop and a Wal-Mart. The GameStop is probably all you need if the one in your area doesn't have it... or you could just order it from them.