Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Or at least that's the best way I can describe THIS:

gpu_glitch.png

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

Ugh, that is insane! I've been having more issues with the card here... so I think it's toast. I can get back into Windows now, but the driver doesn't fully install, and I get constant static.

Should try ripping that sucker down (the 9800GTX+ that is) and bake it :p maybe you could revive it. Check it out here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792

Good idea, but with all the die shrinks, these things don't have as much nutritional value in them as they used to.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm almost tempted to put mine in the oven and see what helps, or at least take it apart and clean it good. Hate to have a GTX 480 just go to waste like that :S

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I confess, I just put my old GPU in the oven. I stripped it best I could, foil wrapped and supported. While it doesn't suffer from the vertical lines problem, it did suddenly fail. I'll be trying it out later. If the PC even gets past Post or displays anything at all, it's a win, since the card would prevent post to begin with.

A visual inspection on the card after the oven, did lead me to think it could work, most of the solder has regained some gleam.... just be careful. Put the card on foil and not direct on a baking tray, just in case you leave it in too long. Also.... ventilate well, at the 8min mark, take it out and hold your breath, it can really stink....

And for those that use Centigrade over Fahrenheit, it's 195 C, so you can get away with 200C. Pre-heat, don't put it in to warm up. USE A STOPWATCH!!

Don't try this at home kids.... use someone else's. :p

Edit:
Well, the system didn't freeze on POST, instead I got that familiar single long POST beep, signifying a GPU problem. Oh well, worth a shot... at least I can still take the heatsink off and sell 1KG of copper to the metal yard....

Last edited: