If A GPU & A NIC Had A Baby...

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
...this would be it!

161143killer5770.jpg

VisionTek said:
BENEFITS

Multiple Displays - Get the ultimate immersive gaming experience and innovative ‘wrap around’ with multi-display capabilities.
Game Networking Performance - Whatever you’re playing , the Bigfoot Networks Killer™ E2100 platform delivers fast networking with a new level of online gaming performance and a competitive edge over standard network interfaces.
Intelligence - The Killer™ E2100 platform identifies and accelerates traffic to your game with Advanced Game Detect™ for unmatched online gaming performance.
Visibility – Monitor and manage the health and performance of your gaming rig with at-a-glance Online Gaming PC Monitor™.

I don't know why but I think this is awesome except for the fact that when your video card dies out of warranty or you need to get a new one simply due to lacking performance you are on the hook to buy a new NIC or go back to onboard.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright, I need to figure out how on earth I can make it so large images don't break the forums...

Edit: Found a solution, finally.

This is an interesting concept. At first, I thought, "What the...?", but after more thinking, it DOES kind of make sense in certain situations. This would allow you to equip your mobile gaming PC with a quality NIC, leaving the limited PCI slots for other things, like audio, or a second GPU.

I'd be interested about the cost, though. And why an HD 5770 in lieu of the latest releases?

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I've always been puzzled why companies continue to pump out new designs based on previous architecture after a new series has been announced. This launch doesn't help matters either.

Still, a great idea though.

More companies need to start thinking of things like this. Too bad you can't have a Nvidia chip onboard for PhysX. Hehehe.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
was reading bout this yesterday! Interesting but, not for some one like me who is completely into Single player! :D

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I've always been puzzled why companies continue to pump out new designs based on previous architecture after a new series has been announced. This launch doesn't help matters either.

Still, a great idea though.

More companies need to start thinking of things like this. Too bad you can't have a Nvidia chip onboard for PhysX. Hehehe.

NVIDIA has done a little with the PhysX platform but Majnu and the team at Ageia LUCKED out when they were acquired by NVIDIA. It's as simple as that. They got rewarded with a good amount of money for technology that they created and NVIDIA wanted for some reason or another.

The Killer NIC thing is silly if you ask me. I haven't been a huge fan of the device since Rob and I saw it 3 or so years ago. I like that it's around but it's just too damned expensive for very little performance boost, if any. I think their days are numbered. As US customers are given more bandwidth from their ISP for cheaper prices, the need for this device drops even further. I know there are a few advantages that it brings to the table but are they worth it to pay so much for a boutique NIC? I don't see very many of these cards selling and I can't imagine that many have been manufactured.

I figure they are making these using the 5770 because they are older tech and cheap. This card is an experiment and if it doesn't sell well, they aren't out the price of a newer generation chip. That's my take on the card.