Help Needed - Windows 7 Welcome Screen

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Since my son is getting older and likes to play games on the Lego.com, Nick Jr., and other sites, we thought it was time to setup a separate account for him so that we could set controls and keep him safe.

That much was easy, but I'm having trouble getting the Windows 7 welcome screen to act like it did with XP. What I'd like to have is to show all local accounts on the welcome screen.

Here's the account break down.

Monique - my wife's admin account. No password.
Ben - my son's new standard user account. No password.
NetAcc - a standard user account to share local resources. Password protected.
Guest - disabled

Something else that I'm running into is when the welcome screen comes up as it is now, it displays a username or password is incorrect. It's trying to log into something, which isn't want I want.

Here's what I've tried so far.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...lay-user/64be1788-6b4d-43f4-b999-5ab85847e694
Both the post marked Answer and the most helpful reply.

http://superuser.com/questions/4982...d-is-incorrect-without-entering-login-details

I'm sure it's something stupid that I'm missing, but I've been looking at the damn thing for so long that I think it's time for a set of fresh eyes.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not sure how to fix this, but I do know one thing: Windows' login tweaks are a pain in the ass. You might want to go to the run line and type in "control userpasswords2" and see if anything in there strikes you. I wish I was of more use... I don't have multiple accounts on my PC and really don't want to risk creating one in case it creates hassles for me, haha. =|

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I've been there a bunch of times thinking that I missed something. All that does is allow you to remove the password requirement for login, which is something that I did want to setup at this time. When Ben gets older, I'll put the password requirement back on.

In order to get the welcome screen to look the way I want, I think I need to dive into the registry, but what I've done doesn't do what I was hoping.