Help me pick a new motherboard

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I was running it at 2.4v @ DDR2-1100. It's not the first time though. That would have been the... fourth kit I've run on that board with 2.4v or more voltage. That was the first time I had a stick die on me though.

If it happens again with another stick, then I will know where to point the blame.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Yeah, I'm betting it was the 2.4v over time. But this is not a chipset thing, it's been happening with all chipsets, it just seems that people with 680i boards had worse luck.

The memory manufacturers are to blame. Manufacturers are selling RAM rated at voltages that will eventually kill it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"Yeah, I'm betting it was the 2.4v over time."

I dunno... it was about an hour after I installed them ;-)

"Manufacturers are selling RAM rated at voltages that will eventually kill it."

I agree. At least most of these guys offer nice warranties.

JacKz5o

Obliviot
You don't want to do 2.4v for a long period of time. 2.4 is the RAM killer lol :(

http://www.evga.com/articles/350.asp

Important message regarding memory and the EVGA 680i motherboard

NVIDIA has investigated end user reports of high performance DIMM failures on the NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI-based platforms. During this process we have been in close contact with DIMM manufacturers and the DRAM manufacturers they rely on to understand the failure scenario. By working with our community, we believe that the observed failure is a breakdown of the silicon in the DRAM caused by the prolonged application of 2.4V on the voltage rails of the DIMMs.

NVIDIA’s own internal testing has observed this failure on multiple motherboards using different chipsets (both NVIDIA and non-NVIDIA chipsets). This issue is not directly related to motherboards using the NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI MCP or other chipsets.

If you are using this type of memory and are experiencing this issue, NVIDIA recommends contacting your memory manufacturer or system manufacturer for additional information and warranty information.