HALP! P8P67 WS Revolution Problems!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
So our brand spankin' new CPU cooler/hard drive testing system is giving me problems and I think I've banged my head against the wall enough.

When running load temperatures using OCCT's LINPACK with all settings at stock, things run flawlessly. When it comes time to overclock, the system freezes.

What's really bugging me is that I'm using the same profile on this new cooler that I did on three previous ones. The only thing that was done in between testing is a new cooler was installed (obviously) and the memory was removed for use in our case testing system. That's it.

Here's what has been done.

-Cleared the CMOS and started fresh.
-Updated the UEFI.
-Tried each stick one at a time in each of the slots.
-Tried two other kits.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to run a few passes with MemTest.

Any thoughts aside from this?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
So, it only happens when overclocking, problem free at stock? If so I'd bet you anything it is the memory... some setting or timing from the profile in question isn't compatible. I'd suggest loading the profile, then loading the XMP profile you wish to use, and then go from there. The XMP profile will skew a few CPU specific settings but those are easy to correct after ya make sure it works.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Well, that gave me a bit more to go on...a BSOD. I was rushed for time and had to bail out for work so I didn't copy the code down so I'll need to try and recreate it if I can.

I'm no closer to finding out what's going on but at least it was something different.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Turns out that the 107*36 overclock was a bit too aggressive. I knew that those chips didn't tend to work well above 105 BCLK but I was able to test three other cooler successfully using the same test methodology so I was very reluctant to find fault in the overclock itself.

Dropped the BCLK down to 106 resulting in an overclock of 3.81Ghz instead of 3.85. Not bad for a locked chip.