HAF mod Start

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I couldn't resist any longer. I got the case for 139.00.
The inside was the usual grey and I had to do something about it. I got some very flat black ( chalkboard paint ) and coated the inside.
Soon to be my i7 build, water cooled with the Danger Den block, and Swiftech power pump.
I plan to take the GTX280 out of the other case ( watercooled by the NV200 ) and use the new water system to cool it, the only thing is that the barbs are smaller on the NV200 GPU block, and everything else is 1/2 inch barbs. ( I'll figure that one out )
But, here is the start of it for 2009.
( Yes, even the wires will be painted )
Merlin

Attachments

• DSCF0529.jpg
    DSCF0529.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 811

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Looking forward to the results. My HAF swallowed up my water loop with lots of room to spare:

I was too lazy to paint mine though, lol.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Looking forward to the results. My HAF swallowed up my water loop with lots of room to spare:

I was too lazy to paint mine though, lol.
Ahhh Sweet :D

And what kind of screws are on the top fan? The rad looks great

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
B1k1, that looks really good! I like that setup. If only that case fitted a 3x120 without needing to remove the top plastic bezel... and if they had reversed the bottom PSU mount.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Actually, I would have no problem at all getting a 3X120mm mounted inside the top of the case. In fact, they even ventilated that hump to some degree so it would still allow airflow through.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That setup looks sweet Bill... tons of airflow!

Merlin, looking forward to seeing the progress on this one. I love the matte black color!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Water builds are always exciting times... can't wait to see the finished product. Keep us posted :D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
yummy!
My son is egging me on for his computer build.... I now have most all of the parts, so.... there will be another build in the coming months! ;)
Diggin the mattte black and prospect for a loop!
What parts are you using? pump/blocks/etc....
Cant wait!
;)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
yummy!
My son is egging me on for his computer build.... I now have most all of the parts, so.... there will be another build in the coming months! ;)
Diggin the mattte black and prospect for a loop!
What parts are you using? pump/blocks/etc....
Cant wait!
;)
I' m leaning to the Swiftech pump and Danger Den block.
This the first total water machine, so maybe a reservoir also?

Merlin
( out in the streets bootlegging a connection )

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I' m leaning to the Swiftech pump and Danger Den block.
This the first total water machine, so maybe a reservoir also?

Merlin
( out in the streets bootlegging a connection )

I have only ran a res in my loop one time. I usually exclude that step entirely. I have a single bay clear res. from danger den that looks awesome with fluid running through it and proper lighting behind it.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH width=60 bgColor=#cccccc>SKU</TH><TH bgColor=#cccccc>Product</TH><TH noWrap align=middle width=100 bgColor=#cccccc>Item price</TH><TH width=60 bgColor=#cccccc>Quantity</TH><TH width=60 bgColor=#cccccc>Total
spacer.gif

</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>CPU-520</TD><TD>MPC-CPU - i7 Nehalem/1366 Block <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Options:</TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Fitting Size: </TD><TD>1/2" OD Fat Boy Fittings</TD></TR><TR><TD>Acrylic Back Plate: </TD><TD>None</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD noWrap align=right>$42.95 </TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD noWrap align=right>$42.95 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>RES-100</TD><TD>Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Options:</TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Fitting Size: </TD><TD>1/2" OD Fittings for 1/2" ID Tubing</TD></TR><TR><TD>LED Color: </TD><TD>Red x 2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD noWrap align=right>$34.95 </TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD noWrap align=right>$34.95 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>ACC-1010</TD><TD>ATX Power Supply Bypass Adapter </TD><TD noWrap align=right>$2.99 </TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD noWrap align=right>$2.99 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>RAD-3120-BL</TD><TD>Black Ice Pro II Radiator <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Options:</TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Color: </TD><TD>Blue</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fat Boy Fittings: </TD><TD>1/2" OD Fittings</TD></TR><TR><TD>Compression Fittings: </TD><TD>None</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD noWrap align=right>$34.95 </TD><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD noWrap align=right>$34.95 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Ordered so far

Newegg out of the Swiftech pumps

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Jab-tech and Petra's usually have most watercooling kit, JT has the same price as Newegg for the MCP655. Not sure what GPU block you mentioned in your first post, but most blocks would let you change out the barbs, so you could replace them with barbs sized to fit your loop.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Jab-tech and Petra's usually have most watercooling kit, JT has the same price as Newegg for the MCP655. Not sure what GPU block you mentioned in your first post, but most blocks would let you change out the barbs, so you could replace them with barbs sized to fit your loop.
Thanks, ordered the pump from Jab-Tech, same price as newegg, but it was out of stock at newegg

Merlin.
Bootlegging again

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I've never bothered with anything but plain water and a dash of good ole automotive anti-freeze. Far too much emphasis placed on distilled water and as long as you don't mix metals in the loop corrosion ain't gonna happen.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Distilled is preferred although any kind of bottled or spring water would be fine. Just not what comes out of your tap unless you already run a filter on it.

I use a couple drops of algaecide for ponds, stuff is superconcentrated and just four bucks at the local hardware store. Six drops treats 10 gallons...

I also use pond coloring as the stuff is equally cheap and works better than some dyes. I've had one to many official watercooling dyes leave a scum film on my loops, but the pond stuff has remained crystal clear. Those WC dyes tend to react with many algaecides or anti-freeze and break down in a few months leaving a film on the inside of everything. There are some humorous threads on the XS forums where some of the more popular dyes broke down within just a few days and looked really, really bad. Speaking of which, if you don't clean the welding flux out of a brand new radiator that'll easily react with dyes. Usually there's some left in them from the factory.

I don't want my computer smelling of anti-freeze, so I don't use it. Those tubes are more porous than you might think, so your computer will eventually smell like whatever you put in your loops. I just distilled water, algaecide, coloring, and a little water surfactant as the secret sauce.

The only truly inert, non-conducting and non-reactive fluid I know about is this stuff: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/771/1016771/new-fluid-invented-for-immersion-overclocking

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Got the Swiftech MCP655 from Jab tech today, I'm glad I got the adjustable one.
Thursday i should bet the Danger Den items ( Rad, Res and CPU block )

I'm wondering how much tubing to get, should 10 feet be enough? I would think so, but I ask from those that have installed Water cooling.

Merlin
more pics to come after Thurs

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, I ran into the tubing issue myself. Ten feet should be enough, but if you plan to fiddle with the loops or install anything in the future, get a bit more. The stuff is cheap enough and stores just fine, and you really don't want to discover you don't have enough when your computer is already taken apart and strewn all over the bench and floor. ;)

Be careful if you buy the really curled stuff. I try to buy mine off the spool, the precut/prepackaged 10ft packs you find in Home Depot or Lowes have to much of a curve in them for some uses.