Going Vista 64-Bit...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No, my forum account has not been hacked - it's really me. Up to now, I've been using the same computer for both benchmarking and regular use/gaming (two hard drives), but I decided it would be a lot easier to have separate computers for each... (duh).

I decided to use the recently reviewed Skulltrail as the main Windows rig here, at the same time deciding to go with Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. There are a few reasons for this, but the main is that I want to use Vista on a regular basis in order to learn the ins-and-outs more, and also its quirks. The last Vista 64-Bit install was actually quite painless (it surprised me), so I decided to go that route with this build since I am using 4GB of RAM.

I'll be sure to post in this thread if I run into any absolutely bizarre issues. Right now, the OS is installed along with many of my applications and so far, all is good. Some applications load a little slow and the OS still suffers from obvious quirks that I've mentioned before, but nothing has been show-stopping yet. For the sake of not wanting to reformat, I hope it keeps that way.

The worst problem I've run into so far is that a tool for the MMO I play won't function, but it doesn't surprise me since this app was released before Vista and heavily relies on an older version of .NET (1.1). But, I also have Windows XP installed alongside Vista just in case something drastic happens (or if I need to run a legacy application that won't work in Vista).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Heh, first problem, but it's not Vista's fault. I installed Nero 8 earlier, and because it's out of date (it's a launch copy), I decided to update it using the in-application updater.

For whatever reason, during the process it uninstalled itself and left me with nothing... it's not even in the Add/Remove. How in the heck does that make sense? I update it, and it uninstalls itself?

Nero screwed up something there.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
And so what's up with Vista allowing incredibly large icons? The first time I chose "Extra Large", I almost laughed up a lung.

Large:

Extra Large:

Sure, it might be for people who can't see well, but damn.

Also fun to note that Adobe apparently dislikes Lightroom enough to not give it a big icon and also refuses to put their name in front of it :D

BlackAndy

Obliviot
Rob,
Any attempts at ripping DVDs with nero 8 and vista yet? Photo editing? sound editing? Video editing? DVD burning?
Inquiring minds want to know! :D
I am still deciding if I should stick with xp pro or make the leap to vista ultimate for the new rig.... I should be ordering parts next week and I assume I'll make the leap, but I'm just a little hesitant...
-Andy

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I reinstalled Vista tonight myself. I had to pull 2GB of ram out to get past the BSOD's during install, but once the hotfix was installed, all has been well. I am going to keep my eye on this since I too am learning this darn OS slowly but surely.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's great for viewing image files with large icons and yes better than LR

People who say something is better than Lightroom have no idea what Lightroom is used for.

Any attempts at ripping DVDs with nero 8 and vista yet? Photo editing? sound editing? Video editing? DVD burning?
Inquiring minds want to know! :D
I am still deciding if I should stick with xp pro or make the leap to vista ultimate for the new rig.... I should be ordering parts next week and I assume I'll make the leap, but I'm just a little hesitant...

Well, so far so good bro. Usually I don't even have to use the Windows machine for much of anything, but because of this contest I've had to deal with Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Illustrator a fair amount... so far no real issues... no more so than the 32-Bit Vista version.

So yes, I've done a bit of photo editing and did a quick video edit, but other than that, I doubt there is much of a problem you will experience. What applications are most important to you?

I reinstalled Vista tonight myself. I had to pull 2GB of ram out to get past the BSOD's during install, but once the hotfix was installed, all has been well. I am going to keep my eye on this since I too am learning this darn OS slowly but surely.

What version? The 32-bit?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Lightroom is for managing digital images, I was talking about using the large icons in Vista, just to see the thumbnail as a larger icon.
I have used photoshop since 3.0 . And now we have all these new features in PS CS3 Extended, and again Lightroom is almost a seperate program for Format including RAW images. If I were a professional photographer I would use Lightroom more. As it stands, I may use it as a thumbnail viewer.......thus again my comment on the larger thumbnail view in Vista

Merlin

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, I understand the thing with the large icons, there was no confusion as to that. Lightroom gives more control over RAW images than Photoshop does... and I like the fact that I can just export and changed I make right into Photoshop for final editing.

As for the thumbnails though... they are still SO large. They give you "Large" and "Extra Large", but the differences between the two are ridiculous. An in-between wouldn't be too bad.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
64-Bit. I don't even want to ever get used to 32-bit since to me it makes no sense since the world needs to go straight 64 bit from Vista on out. I feel that Vista should not even have a 32 bit version.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree.. 64-bit should be made the standard version. That way, we can all use applications that are actually compatible :-/

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'll be putting Vista Ultimate on a drive here before to much longer as well (getting a free copy from MS), just don't know if I want to go 32 or 64 bit yet.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Anyone who has a good understanding of computers and knows how to fix potential problems that could arise should go with a 64-Bit OS. I've run into few problems with the OS so far, but I admit I am not a regular user. I don't use a virus scanner or firewall, nor use the machine as my primary. I use it mainly for general work (Photoshop and the like) and gaming when I can find time.

So far though, I still haven't run into any serious issues... running like a dream overall.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Anyone who has a good understanding of computers and knows how to fix potential problems that could arise should go with a 64-Bit OS. I've run into few problems with the OS so far, but I admit I am not a regular user. I don't use a virus scanner or firewall, nor use the machine as my primary. I use it mainly for general work (Photoshop and the like) and gaming when I can find time.

So far though, I still haven't run into any serious issues... running like a dream overall.

Are you doing dual boot?
There;s something I need to do in the bootstrapper to get mine to dual.
I was going to try the Ubunu 7.10 linux OS as dual OS. I have the ISO ready.

Or....can you just boot fron the CD?

Merlin

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I dual boot on my primary machine, yes. I run Gentoo and then Windows XP, so that when a friend comes over, I can boot into XP and we can multi-player. Or, sometimes it comes in handy when the Windows rig is in pieces, since I have Photoshop and everything else I need on this machine as well.

Ubuntu should handle the dual-booting fine. Are you installing Linux to a different hard drive? Whatever you do, just make sure you create a Linux partition before installing Linux... you don't want to accidentally overwrite your Windows installation.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I dual boot on my primary machine, yes. I run Gentoo and then Windows XP, so that when a friend comes over, I can boot into XP and we can multi-player. Or, sometimes it comes in handy when the Windows rig is in pieces, since I have Photoshop and everything else I need on this machine as well.

Ubuntu should handle the dual-booting fine. Are you installing Linux to a different hard drive? Whatever you do, just make sure you create a Linux partition before installing Linux... you don't want to accidentally overwrite your Windows installation.
Never had a problem with XP
Vista has a different way of booting.... bootstrap

LOL...yes, a partition of about 50 gigs should do it...its on a 500 gig drive.

But, isnt there a linux OS that can boot just from disk if you set the computer boot order to boot from disk drive first?

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Vista's (crap) bootloader is different than XP's, but GRUB's method of booting into Windows doesn't change at all... so it's identical for XP and Vista.

I don't understand your question though... what are you trying to accomplish?

CoolZone

Obliviot
Any idea why after disabling Aero,the memory usage stays the same?Not even drops 1%..and the 3d performance in applications stays the same,does not increase with aero disabled?

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Never had a problem with XP
Vista has a different way of booting.... bootstrap

LOL...yes, a partition of about 50 gigs should do it...its on a 500 gig drive.

But, isnt there a linux OS that can boot just from disk if you set the computer boot order to boot from disk drive first?

Merlin

You can boot direct to the Ubuntu Live CD and use it that way if you like, but it's extremely slow running it off the CD..................:eek:

Ubuntu and XP play very well together, but I'm also running 2 different drives (hot swap)

One thing to watch for though, with Ubuntu you might run into problems loading the Nvidia drivers (or even Ubuntu its self) with 8800GT cards. I have to load it in the video safe mode and then use Envy to get the video drivers to load correctly.

Last edited: