Going Vista 64-Bit...

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
You can boot direct to the Ubuntu Live CD and use it that way if you like, but it's extremely slow running it off the CD..................:eek:

Ubuntu and XP play very well together, but I'm also running 2 different drives (hot swap)

One thing to watch for though, with Ubuntu you might run into problems loading the Nvidia drivers (or even Ubuntu its self) with 8800GT cards. I have to load it in the video safe mode and then use Envy to get the video drivers to load correctly.
Okay, what's a hot swap?
I could just take the main drive out and put in a formatted drive. well not physicaly take it out, just remove connections.
I did that to clean out the other drives. I have 5 drives from other machines, they are anywhere from 40 gig to 200 gig drives, too small for the new machine to use, some are PATA and others are SATA.
I just got the files off that I needed and then a quick format.
So, I was thinking just to use one of those for Ubuntu.
Never used a Linux OS and wanted something else to learn and play with......who knows I may like it better than MS...in some ways
Maybe even a game server
Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Any idea why after disabling Aero,the memory usage stays the same?Not even drops 1%..and the 3d performance in applications stays the same,does not increase with aero disabled?

I have never noticed any speed improvements with disabling any service in Vista 64. In fact, I feel it is just as snappy with 65 processes as with 35. The real issue is you pretty much need 4GB of ram.

As for Aero, that relies on the video card, not system mempory. Superfetch is the service that takes up alot of ram. But the same hold true there too. Even disabing it and freeing up that memory does not speed up the system. Vista automatically frees up memory when needed from that.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Okay, what's a hot swap?
I could just take the main drive out and put in a formatted drive. well not physicaly take it out, just remove connections.
I did that to clean out the other drives. I have 5 drives from other machines, they are anywhere from 40 gig to 200 gig drives, too small for the new machine to use, some are PATA and others are SATA.
I just got the files off that I needed and then a quick format.
So, I was thinking just to use one of those for Ubuntu.
Never used a Linux OS and wanted something else to learn and play with......who knows I may like it better than MS...in some ways
Maybe even a game server
Merlin

Hot swapping is simply being able to swap out drives without having to shut down the entire computer.........:cool:

I have my Ubuntu installed on a old WD 80 gig SATA drive, it's not the fastest, but it works fine for surfing the web and basic home office stuff.

dsc00023vs8.jpg

dsc00026tr7.jpg

Last edited:

THUMPer

Coastermaker
Hot swap is used for servers mainly

If you have a RAID 5 ARRAY, a minimum of 3 drives at least.
Lets say you have 4 Drives...one drive fails. Without losing the whole array you just replace the failed drive while the system is on, and the new drive will eventually become part of that array again.

Many of our servers here at work have Hot swap PCI-Express slots, and they all have Hot Swap memory slots too. You can replace failed parts without any down time.

Also hot swap power supplies. haha

Theres also cold spare and hot spare. A hot spare would be an extra drive in the system running but with no info on it. once a drive fails that hot spare will pick up the array.
Cold spare is just a drive or part sitting on the shelf waiting.

now back to Vista.
I use xp 64bit. haha

Last edited:

Krazy K

Partition Master
So the primordial question is asked once again. I know XP very well, but it is nearing the end regardless of what MS says and the public wants, it's on the way out. Vista is blah...I have it on my tablet and I don't see anything wrong with it, no problems and I have most of it figured out. Searching is way better and I have over 4Gb of RAM.
So...should I pickup XP 64 or Vista 64?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Vista 64-bit, no question. There is no sense of purchasing XP right now unless there is some direct need. Vista isn't perfect, but it's here to stay.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Agreed... the only Vista I recommend is 64-bit, as long as you don't mind Vista.

XP 64bit had way more hassles than Vista 64bit, and it still is tricky to find the drivers or versions of software compatible with XP 64bit.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's the thing. Compatibility has never been good with x64 XP, and it's most certainly not going to begin improving. I admit I have been having rather great luck with 64-Bit Vista... and I still find the 32-Bit to be more problematic (for whatever reason, I'm unsure).

Krazy K

Partition Master
Sold! Now I just have to find the student version somewhere for $40.

Now...what's the difference in Basic, Business, Home, Ultimate, Premium bla bla bla...

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You can't link directly to your shopping cart, at least not usually. ;)

Upgrade versions of Vista Ultimate do cost ~$200 now, and OEM versions are even cheaper. MS slashed prices awhile back for the obvious reasons, took awhile for prices to fall at many places though.

Krazy K

Partition Master
So that probably is right, still looking for a student version to save me money but I haven't found one. What about the system builders version. I would assume that you get the software but no key. Can I use any Vista key with it, or would it have to be of the same version that the builders pack is for?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
So that probably is right, still looking for a student version to save me money but I haven't found one. What about the system builders version. I would assume that you get the software but no key. Can I use any Vista key with it, or would it have to be of the same version that the builders pack is for?
You're talking about the OEM Vista OS.
That's what I go with everytime.
The only thing is, you have to build the system and not change the CPU or Motherboard. If you make those changes, Vista will not start.
So, the price is great, but you only get one install.
You can't load the same OS onto another build.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Last edited:

Krazy K

Partition Master
I don't get it. I get to install and a key to activate windows, but I can't changed the mobo or the CPU. I switch drives with XP and it gives me 3 days every time I change the system. With the non OEM version, I can put it on a drive and move that around systems, unlike the OEM which will lock up or do I have to register again?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I don't get it. I get to install and a key to activate windows, but I can't changed the mobo or the CPU. I switch drives with XP and it gives me 3 days every time I change the system. With the non OEM version, I can put it on a drive and move that around systems, unlike the OEM which will lock up or do I have to register again?
Seems I have the only rights to use Google

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

Read for yourself :D

Krazy K

Partition Master
Oh, that will be a fun adventure. It's not tied each install, it's tied for life! Well that isn't worth it to me. I change mobo's like I change women.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Oh, that will be a fun adventure. It's not tied each install, it's tied for life! Well that isn't worth it to me. I change mobo's like I change women.
Awesome............

Krazy K

Partition Master
I fixed the links on the top post. The second one shows MS's policy regarding non-authentic software. They have a similar policy for Vista as they did with XP.

veritas19

Obliviot
So I'm heading to college next year and I'm looking to buy an HP laptop. I'm getting the 2.4 or 2.5 core 2 duo and i can't decide if i should spend the extra money on 3 or even 4 gigs of ram and whether i should get the free upgrade to vista home premuim 64 or stick with the 32. I plan on using the laptop mostly for college stuff and playing a few MMORPG when i have the time. any advice?