Get your phasers out nerds. Star Trek Online went free to play!

Discussion in 'Reader-Submitted News' started by RainMotorsports, Jan 18, 2012.

1. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Partition Master

Jul 1, 2011
    I actually seem to be late on this one.....

Check out the list of features between free and gold before you decide to play. Looks decent enough to me - http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features

Download to the installer is here - http://sto-ns.perfectworld.com/clients/StarTrekOnline_EN_17.20111218a.12.exe

Create an account here - https://register.perfectworld.com/sto_splash

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    Hmm, I thought STO has been F2P for a while? Well, a couple of months at least.

It's interesting how a lot of companies are going this particular F2P route, with premium accounts. Lineage II just went F2P, but there's nothing like that. Instead, the company just hopes to sell lots of in-game items. I guess either method works, but I'd have to guess that it might be the in-game items that are the most profitable. Well of course, that assumes that STO doesn't have in-game items for sale as well.

You going to be playing this one, Rain?

3. RainMotorsports

Jul 1, 2011
    Yeah I wasn't aware it was already just noticed posts on 2 sites I follow. Damn am I always out of the loop :p What I get for trying.

Yeah I intend to play this one... only it crashes out everytime i want to login yay.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  4. Kougar

Kougar Techgage Staff Staff Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Texas
    STO was advertising F2P for almost six months... but it did not go free to play until a couple days ago. ;)

5. Doomsday

Doomsday Tech Junkie

Nov 24, 2008
    KHI, PAK
    *Force Chokes all Trekkies!* :D

6. That's quite a download. 5 or 6 hours to go ....

7. RainMotorsports

Jul 1, 2011
    WHAT?.... What are you people on lol. Its like 3GB thats less than an hour for me. I have that problem where I can blow my 250 GB cap in about 3 or 4 days.

8. Kougar

Mar 6, 2008
    Texas
    STO will use 10GB on disk... that's a good bit more than 3GB :D

9. RainMotorsports

Jul 1, 2011
    The installer download they give is 3.58 GB and uses a download manager to pull it. Dont know what else to say its still sitting on my desktop and I remember it saying 3 something when I started.

The cryptic studios folder is 3.48 GB but then again at this point the damn game doesnt work so who knows what they dished out to people on the 2 days i tried this multiple times.

Crashes at login everytime, seems most people its teamviewer and I do use that so i took care of it and still days later many other things tried...

Redownloaded it again and took this screen shot just now:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  10. Kougar

Mar 6, 2008
    Texas
    I have STO on my Steam account, the total local file size is exactly 10GB. What is weird is STO doesn't appear to be hosted on Steam anymore, looks like all the STO listings have been removed completely.

[​IMG]

Not sure of any tips to help with your installer issues, other than the basic deleting the entire game cache and installer, and grabbing a new copy of the installation downloader?

11. DSL ... an average of 180KB/s compared to your 2799KB/s.

12. RainMotorsports

Jul 1, 2011
    Damn, wanna borrow my phone? DSL oh dear if i ever got stuck on that again.

[​IMG]

Put it in kilobyte for ya. Lower than the 10 to 15 Mbit im used to. Solid 8 today.

First place i looked to get it was steam. I dunno man I will throw my old 250 gig in the dock and do a super clean minimal install and try it out. Downloaded the downloader several times, checked for updates etc etc. Kinda bums me out but screw it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  13. I'll get fibre eventually. I just need to call to get it installed.

Steam can really screw things up sometimes.

14. RainMotorsports

Jul 1, 2011
    I couldnt help but post this now....

I no longer know the meaning of this thing you call lag.... I wanna live in mah data center!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well my websites file speeds wont suck anymore.... now if I can just get this in my house oh and ST:O to freakin work lol

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  15. Tharic-Nar

Tharic-Nar Senior Editor Staff Member Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    UK
    What is this MB/s you speak of, I get 440KB/s on a GOOD day... and by day i mean 3 in the morning on a weekend. And you moaning about a 250GB datacap? HAH to you i say, try 60GB. And no, I don't get a choice, like it or lump it on ADSL, screw your DSL, ours is A grade DSL... I don't need more bandwidth or speed, the internet just needs better compression...

I'm not bitter or anything... I just want to brutally bludgeon every telecom company with a 72lbs jack-hammer, is that too mush to ask?

-------

With STO, is there a repair function? It may save downloading the whole thing again; but to be honest that's not likely the issue. It's often some third-party app screwing with things (Anti Virus is often the culprit). Other things will also include the usually drivel of driver, drivers, drivers... and DirectX.

16. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    More like faster than 99.999% of the US...