Get your phasers out nerds. Star Trek Online went free to play!

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I actually seem to be late on this one.....

Welcome to the Star Trek Online free-to-play information center! Here you will find all you need to know about the options available to subscribers and non-subscribing players. Please use the tabs above to check out our detailed features matrix for a breakdown of what subscribing Gold Members and free Silver Players receive. There's also a FAQ and a Q&A board.

Here's an overview of Star Trek Online's free-to-play features and how you can engage in a number of different ways:

The Universe is Your Only Limit – Play as much as you like for as long as you like at no cost. No subscription is necessary, nor is payment of any kind required.
Episodic Gameplay – Experience new weekly episodes that feature story-based gameplay and put your captain's ability to command to the ultimate test.
Your Captain, Your Crew, Your Destiny – Become a captain, seek out new life and new civilizations and encounter hostile beings as you advance to maximum level for free.
Familiar Places, New Experiences – Travel to Starfleet Academy, Deep Space Nine, The First City of Qo'noS and many other iconic locations and notable worlds from the beloved Star Trek universe.

The information you find here, like the rest of Star Trek Online's free-to-play experience, is subject to change.
Check out the list of features between free and gold before you decide to play. Looks decent enough to me - http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features

Download to the installer is here - http://sto-ns.perfectworld.com/clients/StarTrekOnline_EN_17.20111218a.12.exe

Create an account here - https://register.perfectworld.com/sto_splash

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, I thought STO has been F2P for a while? Well, a couple of months at least.

It's interesting how a lot of companies are going this particular F2P route, with premium accounts. Lineage II just went F2P, but there's nothing like that. Instead, the company just hopes to sell lots of in-game items. I guess either method works, but I'd have to guess that it might be the in-game items that are the most profitable. Well of course, that assumes that STO doesn't have in-game items for sale as well.

You going to be playing this one, Rain?

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Yeah I wasn't aware it was already just noticed posts on 2 sites I follow. Damn am I always out of the loop :p What I get for trying.

Yeah I intend to play this one... only it crashes out everytime i want to login yay.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
STO was advertising F2P for almost six months... but it did not go free to play until a couple days ago. ;)

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
STO will use 10GB on disk... that's a good bit more than 3GB :D

The installer download they give is 3.58 GB and uses a download manager to pull it. Dont know what else to say its still sitting on my desktop and I remember it saying 3 something when I started.

The cryptic studios folder is 3.48 GB but then again at this point the damn game doesnt work so who knows what they dished out to people on the 2 days i tried this multiple times.

Crashes at login everytime, seems most people its teamviewer and I do use that so i took care of it and still days later many other things tried...

Redownloaded it again and took this screen shot just now:
STO.png

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I have STO on my Steam account, the total local file size is exactly 10GB. What is weird is STO doesn't appear to be hosted on Steam anymore, looks like all the STO listings have been removed completely.

STO.png

Not sure of any tips to help with your installer issues, other than the basic deleting the entire game cache and installer, and grabbing a new copy of the installation downloader?

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
DSL ... an average of 180KB/s compared to your 2799KB/s.

Damn, wanna borrow my phone? DSL oh dear if i ever got stuck on that again.

20120121213648.png

Put it in kilobyte for ya. Lower than the 10 to 15 Mbit im used to. Solid 8 today.

I have STO on my Steam account, the total local file size is exactly 10GB. What is weird is STO doesn't appear to be hosted on Steam anymore, looks like all the STO listings have been removed completely.

STO.png

Not sure of any tips to help with your installer issues, other than the basic deleting the entire game cache and installer, and grabbing a new copy of the installation downloader?

First place i looked to get it was steam. I dunno man I will throw my old 250 gig in the dock and do a super clean minimal install and try it out. Downloaded the downloader several times, checked for updates etc etc. Kinda bums me out but screw it.

Last edited:

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Damn, wanna borrow my phone? DSL oh dear if i ever got stuck on that again.

I'll get fibre eventually. I just need to call to get it installed.

First place i looked to get it was steam. I dunno man I will throw my old 250 gig in the dock and do a super clean minimal install and try it out. Downloaded the downloader several times, checked for updates etc etc. Kinda bums me out but screw it.

Steam can really screw things up sometimes.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I couldnt help but post this now....

I no longer know the meaning of this thing you call lag.... I wanna live in mah data center!
1727190912.png
1727195940.png

Well my websites file speeds wont suck anymore.... now if I can just get this in my house oh and ST:O to freakin work lol

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
What is this MB/s you speak of, I get 440KB/s on a GOOD day... and by day i mean 3 in the morning on a weekend. And you moaning about a 250GB datacap? HAH to you i say, try 60GB. And no, I don't get a choice, like it or lump it on ADSL, screw your DSL, ours is A grade DSL... I don't need more bandwidth or speed, the internet just needs better compression...

I'm not bitter or anything... I just want to brutally bludgeon every telecom company with a 72lbs jack-hammer, is that too mush to ask?

-------

With STO, is there a repair function? It may save downloading the whole thing again; but to be honest that's not likely the issue. It's often some third-party app screwing with things (Anti Virus is often the culprit). Other things will also include the usually drivel of driver, drivers, drivers... and DirectX.