GameStop Considering Selling Digital Copies of Games In-store

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Purchasing games online in lieu of walking into a store is preferable to some due to the convenience factor, but as a result, retailers such as GameStop are stressing out over figuring out ways to keep gamers coming to their stores. Over the years, we've seen many different techniques, including the offering of special in-game items, bonus levels, and so forth.

gamestop_store_011611.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Uh...digital download copies in store.

Take 30 minutes, read some previews, demo/open beta feedback, stay at home and use Steam. Then you don't have to deal with some punk 19 year old who would rather be getting high than serve you or someone who's so clueless about games in general that they'll be about as much help as smashing your hand with a hammer.

Sorry. I'm bitter when it comes to game store staff. The only store I used to go to closed long ago and now I won't go in them unless I absolutely have to.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I would only do this if they allowed you to download the game onto a usb drive and take it home. Other than that I don't see this really taking off well. The reason I would do that is because I have VERY slow internet (compared to most, only have 1mbit) and I download at 186kb/s. Took me 22 hours to download BC2 onto my computer when I bought it. Not fun. Now, if the game store chose to let you d/l it to a flash drive, all they would need is a good internet connection. My community college has a 50mbit connection for their lab computers, and just to mess around I downloaded Steam and BC2. It took only 10 MINUTES to download that 13GB game.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
My speed is spot on with yours.

It's funny that you should mention putting the game on a flash drive because I was just thinking about that. Hell, they could probably sell flash drives of various sizes and make a killing from them. Buy in bulk, tack on a 25% mark up, let people download and off they go.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
What do you guys think? Is this a great idea or one that shows off GameStop's growing desperation?

Definitely the latter. My "in-store experience" with such game stores has never been that positive, and trying to chat with the guy manning the register about his thoughts on a particular title will just tick off the 4 people that've been waiting in line to buy something. ;)

Also, it makes zero sense for Steam to work out some sort of agreement with B&M stores... they would lose a portion of the sales and have to deal with higher overhead trying to manage such partnerships for what I'd imagine to be very little gain.

Secondly, who says if you buy a digital copy within the game store that it would be as cheap as buying it directly from Steam if say, Steam was having on of their many frequent sales? If they sold a digital copy at a higher price they could simply pocket the difference, and most customers wouldn't notice to request the difference back. Steam wouldn't be any the wiser either. All it would take would be a system that implemented "slower" updates for price reductions and quicker updates on price hikes.

I would only do this if they allowed you to download the game onto a usb drive and take it home. Other than that I don't see this really taking off well. The reason I would do that is because I have VERY slow internet (compared to most, only have 1mbit) and I download at 186kb/s. Took me 22 hours to download BC2 onto my computer when I bought it.

That is actually a very nice idea. Now THAT would have some actual potential, especially if the user just brings their own flash drive. Unfortunately it doesn't seem Gamestop is taking that approach...

Last edited: