Gabe Newell Talks About the Effects of Steam Sales

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
At a recent conference held in Seattle, Valve's Gabe Newell discussed some results of his company's experiments with price variation with Steam sales and why pricing has little to do with piracy. This sort of disclosed information is interesting for the fact that Valve has always been a private, tight-lipped developer/publisher - Newell's openness here is appreciated.

gabe_newell_102511.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
I'll post here the same comment I've made somewhere else.
--------------

Oh Jeff Vogel, Jeff Vogel!
I wish you were Gabe Newell
and Gabe Newell was you.
Then, he might sing a different tune;
Not serve hypocrisy with a spoon.

A wise man once said:
Be yourself and not too bad.
But don’t tell others what to do,
when the others are you too.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
And our user base for our first product that we made free to play, Team Fortress 2, increased by a factor of fiv

Heh, first time I recall hearing any specific figures... but 5x a very big number is an even bigger number. :eek: It does explain why so many people in TF2 servers are newbies again... :D

Kayden

Tech Monkey
That is an insane jump of players!

I kind of agree with Gabe because honestly, I HAD to download Freespace 2 through a torrent before GOG or any one else had it digitally and I wasn't about to pay the price gouging amount on EBay. My 2nd CD for some reason was unreadable, it was bs. Anyways, it is about convenience as well and if they get the balance right piracy can get better, but it isn't the only problem shit ports aren't helping either.

None the less, I am glad to see some one is looking at from a different angle.