Fixing the Windows Floating Context Menu Item Problem

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
It's no secret that I'm no fan of Windows, and it has nothing to do with me being a Linux "fanboi" (I'm not). Rather, it's the fact that Windows continually gives me reason to complain, as there exist implementations and problems that arise that just boggle my mind. Take this issue, for example... a "floating" context menu item.

windows_floating_context_menu_020911_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Hey Rob... That floating image thing is actually a video driver issue. Ot at least it was for me... Just update your video drivers --with factory versions, not the MS ones-- and it should be gone.

Now, if someone can please tell me how to get USB keyboards to stop dropping characters when typing rapidly... I'd be most grateful. I haven't out-typed a computer since the DOS days, but it's a regular occurance on Win7.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Good to see you around again Tango.

Yeah, Rob did mention in chat that it could be a driver issue as well, but the method he posted is just a quick and dirty fix to get rid of it if you can't afford to reboot the computer, like in the event it's 5 hours in to a 12 hour encode, etc.

The keyboard issue you mention will most likely be the result of a USB limitation. Under USB, keyboards have a max key press count of 6 - no more than 6 keys may be pressed at the same time and sent under the same poll request. PS/2 didn't have this limitation as it was interrupt driven. (To be honest, MOST people will never notice or even type fast enough for this to be a problem, though some may notice lag - called ghosting, the delay between a key press and it appearing on screen.)

However, there is also a matter of grids; most low end keyboards can only recognise 4-6 key presses in localised areas, if you try and press multiple keys (or different keys in quick succession) that are in different grids, then you'll end up with only 1-2 registered key presses.

There could also be a third problem.... dirt and just wear and tear. Self explanatory really, dust gets in under the contacts or the contacts themselves get warn out.

The last problem could be a mix of either Windows has a bad HID driver or you have a bad USB port. Swap USB ports to a different pair (not the second port on the same pair). This will usually reinitialise the HID driver at the same time.

If you still have issues, the short of it is likely to be, get a new keyboard. If you do a lot of typing, then investing into a good mechanical keyboard will likely ease a lot of problems - if you can get past the feel of them. You can get silent ones, but you'd have to look around - plus, they ain't cheap. Otherwise, go with high poll rate typist or gaming keyboards.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Well it's not like I'm a fire starter at the keyboard (I peak at about 90 wpm, average about 70) but I never experienced this on XP with the identical hardware. I'm not the kind to have multiple keys down at the same time without good cause. I was trained to type with my hands hovering above the keyboard, not resting on it so at most I'll have 1 key on the way down, one down and one on the way up... and here comes the part where my age is showing... so that I don't jam the typebars together.

Thanks for the tips.

I hope the driver update fixes the problem, it did for me.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
weird.... AFAIK I have never had this problem.... Although my keyboard does seem to have a problem dropping letters sometimes but maybe its just me or maybe more likely interference. That seems much more likely due to the fact I have 2 wireless keyboards and a wireless router in the area as well as a wireless mouse. Wow... I wonder if all that RF could cause problems to a person after time.....

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I have yet to have an issue with any of my keyboards dropping characters and I have gone from a crappy generic PS2 connection up to a Microsoft media USB keyboard and now I am on a Razer Arctosa.

I usually top out at just over 100 words per minute but settle into 85-90 so near as I can figure, maybe it's a driver problem?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Should of asked earlier, but oh well....

Are the dropped keys random in nature? Are they specific keys that regularly fail? Is it Command-Key actions like Ctrl, Shift or ALT actions that fail? Is it only in certain applications?

The problem might be a global application, OS or Widget key-hook that keeps interfering and 'blocking' the key press. If the ignored key presses are single keys and random in nature - then i'll have to dig a bit further. If Wireless is used, then typically more than one key press is ignored unless you type slow, as it normally takes at least 1-3 seconds for a wireless signal to reconnect. Windows 7 is normally quite good with drivers (well, better than XP) due to them being integrated in to Windows Update - not that corruption doesn't occur.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
For the Windows dialog box thing, I sometimes get it with systray icons but just selecting a command from the box or right-clicking a different systray icon gets rid of it. I also notice that issue with dialog boxes within the browser window (such as forum tooltips) when I have multiple windows overlapping, again mousing into the window or program the tooltip originated from just refreshes it and it goes away. I think Winamp does it rarely as well...

Hey Tango, long time no hear! My only advice would be to nuke all USB drivers in that XP install, then reinstall them from a good set. Same thing if you are using keyboard & mouse drivers, especially. Knowing XP that's where my bet would be. If neither of those worked I'd monitor the Task Manager closely to see if anything is using CPU overhead that shouldn't be, otherwise that's the most likely ideas I have.

Last edited: