Earth's population to surpass 7 billion soon

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
A new report documents the prodigious rate at which the world’s population is growing. It was just 1999 when we reached 6 billion. As of July 1 of this year we numbered 6.89 billion. By the year’s end we will have surpassed 7 billion. According to Hania Zlotnik, head of the population division of the United Nation’s economic department, that mark will be reached on October 31st.

http://singularityhub.com/2011/09/06/hold-world-population-to-reach-7-billion-this-month/

Been wondering for a while when this would happen, so it's good to have an answer.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
1UP!

1up.gif

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
I think the worst thing is that the most populated areas are the least developed ones like Nigeria.

But we can't do anything about. I'll just sit back and watch.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This could make for a crazy cyber punk anime if ever there was - worldwide births are on hold and any children born are snatched up by the government. Famine everywhere, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer...

I have always wondered when we'd hit the point where we can no longer sustain ourselves because we cannot produce enough food.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Nature has interesting ways of correcting these imbalances. And it's never pretty.

Yes. It's called famine. What we've seen in Africa is bad, but anyone with common sense can figure out that in the future these extreme bouts of starvation will only get worse. Regardless of if it is from strife, famine, or waste of whatever resources they have left. There's only so much rainforest left, for instance.

Heh.

This is my 1UP!

DSCN2211.jpg

Only now he's monster sized! RAWR!

Awww, cute!

None for me, though! :D