DP55WG - Error 27

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This has been a two part problem:

My friend has a DP55WG but can't boot fully. The POST screen with the Intel logo comes up for a split second, the screen goes dark and then comes up again for a split second before moving onto the Windows loading screen. The loading screen comes up for a split second and then the system reboots. This will go on and on for as long as you let it without giving any error codes on the LED debug display.

I took the entire system apart and tried it outside of the chassis to eliminate the possibility of a grounding issue. Now the board displays a 27 error code - "Initializing memory, such as ECC init" when even one stick is tried in any of the 4 slots. My guess is the board is pooched because it does the same with memory pulled out of my rig, which is 100% working.

Any thoughts?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Seems these boards are very picky with RAM types...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1517562

But since this problem has only started after you took it out of the case (regarding the RAM specifically), could be a loose DIMM slot, cracked solder, etc. Remove and insert the memory 3-4 times to clear off the contacts, just to try it out.

Another thing to try is to clear the CMOS.

If different modules still don't work, then yeah, no choice but to declare it dead and RMA it (those boards typically have 3 year warranties, so you should be fine).

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I just happen to have a Kingston kit running along side my G.Skill so I'll try them when I get home. If that doesn't work I'll write the board off.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
No luck with the Kingston memory. I'd say the thing is boned.

I told him not to sell his old motherboard before he could test the new one!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Did your friend change the boot drive or change the drive interface, for example from IDE to AHCI or AHCI to IDE? Simply changing which port the boot drive is plugged into can change this too because boards can have up to three individual controllers each with their own IDE/AHCI mode setting on the board. This is the number one cause behind Windows flashing a loading screen before it auto-restarts. It just means your friend didn't disable the automatic reboot for BSoD's.

Because the system actually reached Windows I'm not as certain the memory would be at fault, but it's always a possibility too. What happens when you boot to a memory checking CD like Memtest86+?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
He's not smart enough to change it from IDE to AHCI. He didn't even know how to access the BIOS until I told him and since then he has been too terrified to modify settings.

I'm going to be running a 100% pass of MemTest86+ tonight but I'm not expecting anything, especially if the memory can't even initialize.

***EDIT: Duh! I can't because it doesn't even get through the POST.

Last edited: