Do you suck at cooking?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I consider myself a great cook and I still like reading articles like this because you can always pick up a new tip here and there that will just add to the eating experience. Anyone that feels they need tips should definitely read that, alot of them are not a common sense as they should be.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Made a few of those mistakes as well, and i will say that i have a serious problem with cooking meats in general. White meat i can handle, it's actually quite hard to get wrong, but red meats... the number of failed attempts far exceed those of an edible level, lol. Pastries i don't have a problem with anymore, or more accurately, i don't have so many problems. Going from making bread to making pastry often results in over-working the dough and you end up with rubber.

With the likes of cakes, the one thing that has to be emphasized is the creaming method, most people just simply mix the sugar and fat, resulting in bricks. You have to work it, and work it for a while until it really is fluffy in texture, otherwise you will be greeted with a brick.

Yes i can cook...... for the most part.... i think.

slugbug

Coastermaker
When I was 10 or so I destroyed my mom's kitchen curtains while attempting to make myself french toast for breakfast one morning. Note to self: don't pour water on a grease fire :rolleyes:

I'm a much better cook now though :D

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i wanted to become a Chef! but then i realized there wont be anything left for other people to eat! :D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Did you ever see Homer make cereal only to have it spontaneously combust? Yeah...that's me. Luckily I married someone who LOVES to cook. Cooking to her is like tinkering with my computer to me.

OVERCLOCK YOUR DINNER!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Did you ever see Homer make cereal only to have it spontaneously combust? Yeah...that's me. Luckily I married someone who LOVES to cook. Cooking to her is like tinkering with my computer to me.

OVERCLOCK YOUR DINNER!

Lol! :D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Good thing you live in Canada. Where would you have thrown it if you lived in say, Arizona? :p

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
Cactus... haha. :D

I think I'm a decent cook, not the best, but I enjoy it. :) Yeah, french toast does sound good... :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If you have not "caramelized" fruit in salt rather than sugar, you have not suffered the most embarrassing mistake made by one of our editors.

Hmm, guess someone likes martini's a bit too much. :D

That's definitely a great (and amusing) read, I'm bookmarking this one. Lots of really good tips and pointers in there... :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's definitely a great (and amusing) read, I'm bookmarking this one. Lots of really good tips and pointers in there... :)

Yup, I put a couple of the tips to use last night, and the supper turned out to be better than usual (though it was just steak and vegetables, not rocket science).