Deus Ex: Human Revolution - A user review (Part III)

marfig

No ROM battery
This is the third and final part of this user review and continues from Deus Ex: Human Revolution - A user review (Part II)

The Story

Deus Ex: Human Revolution tells a good insider story about a society coming to grips with genetic and bio-mechanical engineering in a world largely dominated by corporations and heavily subdued by paramilitary organizations and apolitical factions. Governments are considered corrupt at large, including USA's, and only the UN still holds some manner of dwindling credibility. This setting however runs parallel to the story of Adam Jensen who, amidst the eminent social breakdown, works as security manager for Sarif Industries. He's mostly concerned in uncovering the truth behind who attacked the company he works for and why. The debate around genetic engineering is of little concern to his goals.

world.jpg

The most compelling thing in the game story I felt was the fact that for the most part Adam Jensen (and the player by extension) didn't know they were actually on a quest to "save the world". I always found that the most engaging heroes are the mundane ones, not tasked with grandiose goals. And for the largest part of the game this is exactly how we experience Adam Jensen. All sidequests, but also the main quest line, are dominated by helping people in a direct way or going on with our job as Sarif Industries Security Manager. It's not up until very late in the game that the whole world suddenly turns upside down and we find ourselves on the role of savior or destroyer of mankind. In a very serious way, I would have liked it better if the game hadn't introduce this sudden change of tone. Hugh Darrow -- the one responsible for the whole mess -- wasn't even a central figure in the game up until that point, and surprisingly enough he ceases to be one quite soon after. It felt too artificial as Hugh Darrow clearly took the role of a deus ex machina. And even considering the game's name, that's very rarely a good plot device. It would have been great if the game had finished as it started; a good detective story. No saving the world this time. But just caring for our jobs and those we care.

But if indeed this story couldn't have been told in any other way, there were plenty of other elements that could have served the purpose. Definitely not a character which interaction in the game can be summed up as one incoming infolink and one dialog scene. Still, the game story was surprisingly interesting and I found myself sharing most of Jensen's unknowns and desire to find the truth. Worth of praise was how the game setting mingled with the story and how NPCs would contribute to give the player good knowledge of the world they were playing in. The mechanisms were varied; from overhearing conversations on the street to how they reacted to Jensen's augmentations, but also through newspapers, TV news and computer emails. All together, the player is told about this dystopian reality in a progressive and very natural manner. At no moment that I can recall, you are interacting with an NPC and thinking "You wouldn't normally say that. This is you saying it just so that I, the player, get introduced to the game setting". The game assumes that at the start Adam Jensen's knows more than the player. And that's fine, because we are introduced to his world in a more organic and pleasant way, without feeling we are being artificially guided.

barret.jpg

There were still some story elements that could have been avoided. I may or may not understand this urge to always tell the past story of the protagonist on every RPG game. But what I find disturbing is the necessity to make it look like a cheap afternoon soap. I don't know if most people realize this, but not knowing who your parents are or finding that your parents are someone else other than who you thought, is the most beat -- and by extension the most boring and excruciatingly asinine -- story element that is always present on every soap opera ever done by anyone in any part of the world. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like my games didn't look so foolish. It weighs heavily on my mind that RPGs have too much in common with these type of TV shows.

Inextricably connected to the game story is its plot. And here, like so many before it, DE:HR ends up becoming a mediocre experience. It's excellent that these are games we are talking about here. It's just that the whole entertainment factor coming to us from jumping buildings, fighting the bad guys and experiencing a world in the first person, masks most plot deficiencies by simply making them secondary to the experience. But were Deus Ex: Human Revolution a book, or a movie -- and were it told the same way -- and we would immediately recognize it as just plain and simply bad storytelling. In a world so rich and inspiring, it can be frustrating if you are after that element in your gaming.

What transpired to me as I kept unraveling the game plot was that this is a great game, but it's not a smart game. So better if I just put that behind me and move on forward trying to have fun. The plot deficiencies become evident very soon, just after you fight Barret and he needlessly, and entirely out of the blue, spills the beans on where you ought to go next. He hates your guts, he's in his last breath and he's about to try one last move at killing you, but tells you exactly which address you need to go next. Or Zhao Yun Ru revealing critical information as she's about to trap you in a room full with Belltower Security. None of that makes sense, regardless of whatever spin one may wish to conjure to give it some. Through careful use of the language and a good dose of dialectics, I can relate an ant with an elephant. But that doesn't mean I should. DE:HR plot fails at several points in the game by simply not being very smart. And that can be annoying at times, because it becomes really evident to the player that it didn't need to be this way. The game shows obvious signs of geniality and ingenuity. So these deficiencies, that can be crucial to some, just end up looking like careless work.

dumb.jpg

A critical moment in the plot has already been discussed above. When Hugh Darrow steals the show for everyone else, there's very little doubt at that point the game just went nose down on the ocean of plausibility. From there on you are playing some sort of zombie game, with enemies coming for you in a sudden and completely unrelated throwback to the Island of Dr. Ned. Only they aren't zombies but deranged humans with similar arm movements... Which makes them zombies. At that point the game becomes unrecognizable and it will not get any better from then on. Thankfully, soon enough you are fighting precogs, with Tom Cruise nowhere to be seen, while Madonna ties herself to the stage props and gets ready be abused. And then its over. But not without you having to choose from four end-of-the-world buttons (and let me make this clear, they are actual buttons you need to press). Credits then roll, and you'll have at that time the opportunity to finally take a deep breath and... stay confused.

You'll have the opportunity to speak with Hugh Darrow about what he's done. But within all of his half-witted mad scientist ramblings there's no clue whatsoever as to how he was able to enlist a huge corporation and very powerful individuals to his Armageddon cause. Neither you get any satisfaction from having him turn to reason and tell you how to stop the signal broadcast because your best argument ends up being "you are killing millions of innocent victims". Well, duh!

I don't want to sound mean when I say Hugh Darrow antics and the whole end game just look like something out of the final stages of the game development process, when there's just not enough time to make it right. It's the only explanation I can find for this, what's the word I'm looking for, clusterfuck. It's the only explanation I can find, because all things considered Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of the best games of the past couple of years and doesn't deserve to be remembered for this mess right at the end.

Bugs and Annoyances

Oh this is going to be a short section, I'm telling you. When you have a modern AAA title being released with only two(?) minor patches happening in the first month, you know you have a work of quality here and, behind that work, excellent professionals. A sure reminder of how it used to be in the gaming industry. DE:HR fulfills its responsibility of being a work of quality worth of the full price tag. And its these type of games, and these type of developers, that we should respect and praise regardless of anything else that we may want to throw at them concerning the actual gaming experience.

There seems to be a serious issue with the game for some users though. Some sort of camera wobbling issue, I reckon. Despite the fact I have the almost exact same specs as some of those reporting this, I'm afraid I haven't experienced anything like that. I'm past halfway on my second playthrough and keep not experiencing it. It also seems it only affects a comparatively small portion of the game user base. So I don't know what to say about that. But it's the one outstanding game bug that has been reported...

There's two others I found. In the first image, the text probably went above the maximum allowed and in consequence got cropped. The next image doesn't really constitute a bug, but an overlook in that hack minigame where the datastore is unreachable. The only one in the game that does this, I believe.

crop.jpg
unreachable.jpg

UPDATE: The hacking minigame shown in the image is not a bug. This is intentional. See here why.

As for annoyances just one to report really (boss battles, which also annoy me, have however been beaten to death on the internet).

The annoyance is the fact that the game designers decided that 2027 privacy and security concerns didn't develop at all from the present day. If anything, they got worst and everybody writes passwords on pocket secretaries, including IT managers. You would think we'd be over that by then. But even if not, you would expect that a silicon-based society was at the very least more security aware than it is today. This game device was actually introduce so the game could stay true to its objective of not forcing the player hand when choosing their Adam Jensen's augmentation and still allow them to break into a good deal of computers, since these often contain a wealth of information concerning the world setting. It's one of those cases of being careful what you ask for. By giving playing freedom because we ask for it, we must be aware that it may have its cost. Even if a small one. Still, I'd like to imagine it would have been possible to handle this inconsistency in a better way.

The End

Well, that all folks. Uff!
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a game you should definitely buy if you haven't already and have fun with while excusing it for some of its flaws. I personally found this to be an easy task. There's so much goodness in this game, that it went straight to my list of favorite games of all times.

I'd like to congratulate Eidos Montreal and Nixxes Software for their amazing work, and Square Enix for being a cool publisher. Also Michael McCann for the music score that I found excellent (and that one from the credits screen... you rule, McCann!). I would also like to congratulate Soloto for being the most powerful company in Deus Ex, selling about anything that passes for an appliance in 2027. Bet everyone hates you.

Many, many thanks to Robin Williams (our TG Robin Williams). You know why, Rob. A huge and sincere thank you. You rock!

end.jpg

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Great review, Marfig. I find it hard myself to look past many issues I encountered though, this is probably because I played it differently. I still liked the game for what it was, but I am conflicted to give it a high score because the first had so few bugs and a good story, but this one had many bugs (some preventing me from getting an achievement) and an adequate story. I will explain in my own review I am going to write up this weekend.

marfig

No ROM battery
Thanks.

I'm curious as to what that might be. I haven't noticed any issue with the anything preventing an achievement. The only annoying thing I noticed was that I ruined any chances of getting Foxiest of the Hounds on this second playthrough when I destroyed a security camera, after I had already disabled it, by inadvertently throwing a crate in its direction. Unknown to me this fired up the alarms down a long corridor. Because I quick saved after that -- and when I entered the corridor the game autosaved -- I lost any chance of going back to a previous save. There's another autosave slot, but that too lead me to the start of the corridor after destroying the camera, possibly because I move back and forward in that area.

That really annoyed me. I didn't mean to hit it, but even then I wouldn't think destroying a disabled security camera would fire up any alarms.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
now thats a looooooooooooooooooooong review man! very nicely done! :D

I am not satisfied by the graphics though! Still look pre 2010-ish!???! :(

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For the sake of space, and the fact that I agree 100% with a lot of your review, I won't respond to as much as I could :D

marfig said:
Its cult predecessor achieved that status, not because it was better, but because it successfully married the then player highest expectations with the easier to achieve production values of the time.

I'm of a similar thought, but to some extent believe that DE:HR never could have lived up to the original. Not if the character models were stellar. Not if the game had less obvious bugs. Not if the AI was far smarter. To be honest, DE:HR does little different than the original, and that's the "problem". It has tighter gameplay, better graphics/sound and all that, but it doesn't do anything innovative like the original.

Given that when the original came out, it offered very unique gameplay mechanics, I just couldn't see DE:HR, regardless of what kind of masterpiece it could have been, instilling the same sort of feeling as the original into its fans. There might be a better chance of that happening with someone who never played the original.

marfig said:
The camera control during 3rd person mode allows the player to see their surroundings past their cover and better judge what to do next. Some may argue this isn't realistic.

It's not realistic at all, but let's be real... this game isn't realistic. As you mention, it is a system that just works, and to me, it's the best implementation of stealth I've ever experienced in a game. It's fluid and just feels right.

marfig said:
In contrast, the game's FPS element isn't fully developed. DE:HR game world is brutal to the player that wishes to play this game as an FPS. Without investing in dermal plating augmentation, a couple of shots from an enemy will kill the player character in normal difficulty, while one shot is usually all it takes in the hard difficulty setting.

I have just a couple real complaints about the game, but this aspect is one of them. I -love- being stealthy in video games, but I found DE:HR almost forced it on me from the get-go, despite being a game that's meant to allow you to play the game how you want to. The run-and-gun style of gameplay just doesn't fly here, because as you say, you are taken down in just a couple of shots. I've quite literally gone from 200 to 50 health from a single enemy. I fail to understand in what situation you'd ever even use the heavy gun, to be honest - save for a boss.

Again, I enjoy playing stealthily in games, but I wish I didn't feel like that was the best way to play the game.

marfig said:
So what this tells us is that it is absolutely great to finally see a game that employs a "skill" system that doesn't impose itself on the player, but also a game that doesn't force the player hand into picking a certain subset of skills without which they won't be able to complete the game.

marfig said:
So, while augmentations can be a great contribution to how a player wishes to approach their playstyle for the reasons I mentioned above, this advantage is lost the moment the game makes sure you will can be all things at once.

I couldn't agree more. Because no Augmentation is required, it means there aren't the same sort of risks as in the original. I admit I never played the original all the way through, but I often remember passing doors I couldn't open, or computers I couldn't hack. In DE:HR, I don't remember a single instance where I couldn't get to a location that I wanted because I didn't focus more on one skill than another.

You don't need to focus on individual weapon skills, for example. You don't need to focus on Lockpicking. As long as you level up Hacking a fair deal, you basically mastered the most important mechanic in the game - the one that will allow you in all doors, crates, and other things. If you have a pack full of Nuke and Stop software, you are golden.

There just isn't a great deal of risk in this game, compared to the original.

marfig said:
Friendly and neutral NPCs don't react if you suddenly magically pop in a room from a vent as long as they didn't actually see you coming through it.

This is something I just can't understand. I broke into an apartment in China, and a dude was on his computer ignoring me. I couldn't talk to him. He just didn't know or care that I was there... robbing him. The AI in this game can be both brilliant and horrible. I never played a game with such a stark contrast in AI like this before.

marfig said:
And because this game includes people playing true mahjong

I don't think I passed this restaurant... how, I don't know. If I saw people playing mahjong, I would have remembered :S

marfig said:
But I can't say the same for the voice acting. Steve Shellen completely stole the show for everyone else. His voice acting of David Sarif makes this character the most memorable and lauded of the entire game.

I am glad I'm not alone in thinking this. When I think of the voice acting, it's his voice I hear in my head - not the lead character's. Sarif's voice acting is very believable.

marfig said:
I don't know if most people realize this, but not knowing who your parents are or finding that your parents are someone else other than who you thought, is the most beat -- and by extension the most boring and excruciatingly asinine -- story element that is always present on every soap opera ever done by anyone in any part of the world.

Heh, I never thought of that before. Good point. I did love the story though, and found myself getting wrapped into it to a degree. Most games, I don't really pay THAT close of attention to the story, but this game tells its story so well that I read and listened to every word.

I kind of skimmed the rest of the story section because I haven't beaten the game yet :D

marfig said:
The next image doesn't really constitute a bug, but an overlook in that hack minigame where the datastore is unreachable.

I experienced that a lot. I just wasn't sure if I misunderstood the mechanic or what.

Again, great review man. I wish I could comment on a lot more but there is no point since I'd just be repeating what you said (including the technical bits). The game does have its slew of bugs, but it goes down as one of my favorites of all time. I even like the soundtrack, and have listened to it out of game. I never do that... ever.

How soon do you see yourself playing through a second time?

Kayden

Tech Monkey
now thats a looooooooooooooooooooong review man! very nicely done! :D

I am not satisfied by the graphics though! Still look pre 2010-ish!???! :(

I think it looks pre-2007. The graphics use console shortcuts just like Crysis 2 did. Something I plan to note in my review.

marfig

No ROM battery
I don't think I passed this restaurant... how, I don't know. If I saw people playing mahjong, I would have remembered :S

They are on the first or second floor of the Alice Garden Pods, Hengsha.

How soon do you see yourself playing through a second time?

Been doing that for the past days already. :D About to enter the Convention Center in rioted Detroit.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I think it looks pre-2007. The graphics use console shortcuts just like Crysis 2 did. Something I plan to note in my review.

that be true! :D

I hope they hurry up with the PS4 and Xbox 720 or whatever they wanna call them. I'm getting tired of the same old graphics in games over and over again! One reason why I hate the current consoles! Devs. have to limit themselves to their requirements. No great leaps. Crysis 2 graphics didnot impress me at all. BF3 looks way better! :(

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
that be true! :D

I hope they hurry up with the PS4 and Xbox 720 or whatever they wanna call them. I'm getting tired of the same old graphics in games over and over again! One reason why I hate the current consoles! Devs. have to limit themselves to their requirements. No great leaps. Crysis 2 graphics didnot impress me at all. BF3 looks way better! :(

That's because DICE (and I can't believe I am saying this about DICE) made this game for the PC first and then is dumbing it down to work on consoles, which is how devs SHOULD do it if they TRULY want to remember their PC roots. Unlike Crysis 2 or Deus Ex 3, where they said the PC would have the best ver but delivered the worst ver of the bunch to the PC.

But will it run Battlefield 3? (c;

marfig

No ROM battery
Unlike Crysis 2 or Deus Ex 3, where they said the PC would have the best ver but delivered the worst ver of the bunch to the PC.

Ugh!

I wouldn't know about Crysis 2; I was as interested on that one as I am of getting herpes. But DE:HR? Don't you think you are taking that too far? The game is actually widely regarded as much better looking on the PC.

But even technically, they went a lot further than many other games when it comes to console vs. PC features.

Controls
The controls for instance where completely designed for scratch for the PC version. You actually have a functioning mouse wheel, you can drag-and-drop, you can use the numeric keypad off the bat. The console versions and the PC versions share none of the code for controls. In fact, if you try to play the PC version with a controller you'll find it very difficult to do so. The game simply wasn't designed for the controller in the PC version.

Graphics
Don't know where to start, but how about DX11? Tessellation and lighting are the first things that come to mind that contribute greatly to the PC version quality. But if you have any doubts about exactly what experience you are going to get out of the console version in comparison to the PC, drop by this youtube video and see the differences for yourself. From 2:05 to 2:21 is particularly damaging to any claim that the console version will be a better experience.

It sort of pains me to see such good work and obvious care for the PC version seeing so little love and even being dismissed. I don't know exactly what you guys want anymore... Maybe if these companies stop making console games? Is that it?

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
marfig does make a valid point in the PC version having better graphics! The only thing i'm complaining bout is that these could have been even better for today's standards! :D

No complaints with the controls, they were very good! And the soundtrack is awesome!!:cool:

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
It sort of pains me to see such good work and obvious care for the PC version seeing so little love and even being dismissed. I don't know exactly what you guys want anymore... Maybe if these companies stop making console games? Is that it?

That's not it at all marfig, they promised the best on the PC. When you enabled DX11 and AA at the same time you will have random lock ups or bsods, the only way to fix this is to disable AA with DX11 enabled or disable DX11 with AA enabled, on Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. When DX11 is coupled with High or Very High textures you will see some amazing visuals, but they used the consoles base texture pack. That video you provided even reflects that. They promised the best visual experience on the PC and we got a console port again. I did not put them up on that pedestal they did, they fell to meet their own heights and they should be called out on it. An indie game called Hard Reset that is coming out later this month (demo out now) has only DX9c and that visually impresses me over C2 (DX9 & some DX11 features) and DEHR (DX11) hands down. There are no shortcuts translated from a console ver, this is straight PC development and this is the BEST example of why console ports hurt the PC gamer, not matter how many promises they make.

About the full keyboard support. We have had that in PC games for greater then 15 years, why is it now a feature?!? It is ludicrous to think they have to make that a feature now, how many times have they not included it in a PC game and get criticized by disabled gamers because they unable to change it? This isn't new and shouldn't be treated as a feature, if anything it feels like a slap in the face to all PC gamers. That they have to think about this to be included as an after thought because they put consoles first. I do give them credit for putting that effort in to making the PC customizable because some studios don't even care, that feels like they took a big dump on my lawn.

It's just insulting for them to boast the PC and they fall short and the only explanation is "we will fix that bug in a later patch." That's not how games should be made in my opinion it should be playable out of the box, like the original Deus Ex was with little to no bugs, unlike those I experienced in DEHR. I am just calling them out on setting my expectations high because of what they said. They have a recurring name and theme in the game Icarus. I feel they followed that path exactly on the PC, reaching too high and then falling back to earth.

You can read my whole review here http://www.gamingbus.com/2011/09/12/review-deus-ex-human-revolution-pc/

I don't care if studios make console games, in my mind there is room for them and the PC. You wouldn't let some one sell you an imported car, hype it up and find out that it runs like a piece of shit and take laying down would you? I for one don't and I only make a big deal out of it if they hype them up, like they did for C2 and DEHR. I didn't go after Fallout New Vegas for their visuals because they didn't say it would be the best on the PC out of the bunch. I believe the best value for that game is the PC because it can be modded but that's an opinion. Hell they even have full keyboard support in that game and didn't call it a feature or hype it, but I digress.

I can handle a console port but if they hype it for PC as being the best, they should be prepared to live up to expectations they set. I wont settle for anything less, no matter what.

marfig

No ROM battery
That's not it at all marfig, they promised the best on the PC. When you enabled DX11 and AA at the same time you will have random lock ups or bsods, the only way to fix this is to disable AA with DX11 enabled or disable DX11 with AA enabled, on Nvidia and AMD graphics cards.

I'm sorry but I haven't experienced this. The game halted on me only twice in close to 80 hours of gameplay. And both times it happened when loading a new area. And by golly, no bsods whatsoever.

The thought alone confuses me. I have no idea how this game could create a bsod in any operating system after Windows 2000. But if you experienced this, I'm afraid to say that explains all of your other problems. You must be having some sort of driver issues (graphics or sound being the most likely). A program running in user mode cannot generate a bugcheck. But it can access a faulty driver instruction and that generate the bugcheck.

When DX11 is coupled with High or Very High textures you will see some amazing visuals, but they used the consoles base texture pack. That video you provided even reflects that.

I cannot expect a company to design two different sets of assets, one per platform. I'm sorry but I can't. But I'm curious as to what exactly makes you say it was the console textures that were used as a base. I'm sure you realize it's much easier to create a high detailed texture and then reduce quality to fit a console, than it is to create a low quality texture and then increase its detail to fit the PC. To me that indicates that it is more likely that it was the PC textures (where the game was developed and tested) that served as the basis for the console version.

That said, I have no doubts that many textures where created with the console in mind, so both platforms wouldn't show a tremendous difference in quality. The difference between us both is that I'm ok with that.

An indie game called Hard Reset that is coming out later this month (demo out now) has only DX9c and that visually impresses me over C2 (DX9 & some DX11 features) and DEHR (DX11) hands down.

And yet it fails to deliver the broadness in visuals that DE:HR does. The game looks the same across the entire experience, where DE:HR produces many sights and sounds.

Where we do agree is that the graphics could be better. Where we disagree is that this should be important. To me, I found that the game very faithfully reproduced a cyberpunk setting like no other before it. Hard Reset is a good looking game. But as you will soon find out, not as creative in terms of art.

About the full keyboard support. We have had that in PC games for greater then 15 years, why is it now a feature?!?

My point is that typical Console/PC titles don't offer this. They patch console controls to make direct mappings between the controller and keyboard+mouse. (Just Cause 2, comes to mind. A game nearly impossible to play on the PC unless you own a controller or don't want to drive).

So every time a developer is willing to actually develop the controls section for the PC, I praise them. And I will every single time. I'm not sure you know, but it's not an easy area to code in a game.

It's just insulting for them to boast the PC and they fall short and the only explanation is "we will fix that bug in a later patch." That's not how games should be made in my opinion it should be playable out of the box, like the original Deus Ex was with little to no bugs, unlike those I experienced in DEHR.

C'mon, Kayden,. It's been like this for many years now. Complaining about it won't change anything. I feel you, but the times of perfect and near perfect releases are behind us. You may hear of a title here and there. But they'll just keep on becoming rarer and rarer.

Want to blame someone? Blame the masses. That's you and me, too. We are the ones buying games in the millions and allowing gaming companies to work on million dollar budgets. The complexity inherent to modern games development is such today, that no other industry can match it. Meanwhile the broad spectrum of potential machine setups makes it virtually impossible to develop something without it not breaking on someone's otherwise perfect machine. Heck, even the technology itself works against us; no sooner we are getting used to a DX version and producing high quality titles out of it, there you get a new version and everyone starts demanding it (regardless of how well their current GPUs may or may not support it), not giving the industry any time to take a break and just focus
on producing titles based on technologies that have been mastered already and with predictive results.

I can handle a console port but if they hype it for PC as being the best, they should be prepared to live up to expectations they set. I wont settle for anything less, no matter what.

Fair enough. Me? I don't care if the game isn't better on the PC. I just care if I like or not the game.

----
EDIT: BTW, critics are panning Hard Reset because -- of all things -- it doesn't have a good enough story and it's a 6 hour game. We are talking about an indie title being sold for close to 30 USD. I played the demo and found it an exhilarating and beautiful game. The same critics even go to the point of saying the game is tremendously fun to play. But then advise people against buying it. I swear man, more and more I don't understand the gaming media. I just don't get these people anymore. One of them was even posting an article a week ago about how the gaming community is full of whiners and games haven't been so good as now. The same guy that now says people shouldn't buy Hard Reset because the story isn't well constructed and the game plays only for 6 hours, but it's plenty of fun to play with!

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Well I assumed it was a bsod, because I got a hard lock then a restart. I am not the only one to experience this either, it's out there. Also this is the ONLY game to do this to me with my new machine, unless my cpu was OC, now it isn't and have had one problem.

I'll retort more later, when I'm not so busy.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In the 40+ hours I've put into the game using DX11 + anti-aliasing, I haven't encountered a single issue related to it. The couple of crashes I did experience were proven to be Steam-related.

Judging by things you've told me and things you mention in your review, you seem to have experienced a larger-than-normal collection of bugs. Aside from the Steam issues I had, I only recall a single instance in the game when I encountered a real bug (dead body glitched into the wall).

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well I assumed it was a bsod, because I got a hard lock then a restart. I am not the only one to experience this either, it's out there. Also this is the ONLY game to do this to me with my new machine, unless my cpu was OC, now it isn't and have had one problem.

I'll retort more later, when I'm not so busy.

Same here! Happened once when i was juming from the roof and it crashed. My lcd went blank and had to restart the PC! :(

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Well looking at the eidos forum some people are having so many issues it's unplayable, it's funny how that works. Hopefully they find a cause and fix it soon, because it is a good. marfig I haven't forgotten you just been busy, after I finish my errands I will put some time into making a worthwhile reply, promise.

marfig

No ROM battery
Well, I finished my second playthrough just know. And while doing it a third time would just be weird, I can see myself coming back to this game in some months from now. Besides my vacations are almost over. I enjoyed greatly the experience and it's been quite a while since I last enjoyed a game to this extent. It catapulted itself to my list of all-time favorites.

@Kayden, you don't need to feel obliged to answer mate. It's clear that we aren't going to agree on this particular matter. We just have very different expectations. And that's crucial to the way we look at games in general. However, I do humbly wished you dropped the showstopper bug claims. This game simply doesn't have them. Which isn't to say you and some others aren't experiencing it. Just that what you see at Eidos forums and what you yourself is experiencing is a tiny portion of the much broader reality of 2 million copies shipped so far. And I hate to break it to ya, but that's the same for every single game out there, in the past, present and future.