Dell 19" UltraSharp 1907FP LCD Monitor

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you looking to upgrade your dated CRT or small LCD? Dells 1907FB provides a full 19" viewing area and supports 1280*1024 at 75Hz. It also includes a slew of extra features.. even two USB ports!

After reading Greg's review, feel free to talk about it!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Great review. I have to say I am impressed that Dell includes the DVI connector... that is just a great addition. My NEC came with no such connector. My LG TV did though.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Some of you know that i have a 32" lcd... the thing I wish it had that this monitor does is an hd input and dual input.

Id someday like to see monitors get what my monitor does have though. A tv tuner. I can do PIP and watch adult swim while i play games. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
LCD TV's suck in a sense for computer monitors. My 26" goes up to 1280*768... too odd to do normal stuff with. Gaming is ok with it though.

ddrmaniacaaa

Obliviot
When LCD monitors came up at a LAN party I was at, all the people were talking about was how crappy games play on them. They seem fine to me. They were talking about a bad refresh rate (which is apparently needed to play FPS games). Im writting with a standard dell 17"crt in case you're wondering.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
There is not a refresh rate on LCD's so to speak. The main thing that gamers should worry about on LCD monitors is the response time. Typically anything 8ms and under is acceptable. The monitor in the review is a 8ms and I love it. A lot.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
I love the Dell 2405, its 24" but the resolution is 1920x1200 which is great for games.

Monitors are the best things Dell make!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Rob Williams said:
LCD TV's suck in a sense for computer monitors. My 26" goes up to 1280*768... too odd to do normal stuff with. Gaming is ok with it though.

Mine runs low end high def res and 1280x1024 just fine. And so far it is my fav monitor ever.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madstork91 said:
Mine runs low end high def res and 1280x1024 just fine. And so far it is my fav monitor ever.

Hmm... 1280*1024 on an LCD TV seems wierd to me. If it looks good, that's all that matters.

U

Unregistered

Does anyone know if this is Dell's 6-bit panel, or if it uses an 8-bit one unlike it's european counterpart?

U

Unregistered

The review mentioned that the monitor has 2 USB ports when it actually has 4. Two on the back and two on the left hand side of the monitor

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The review covers both sets of USB ports. The two on the side are mentioned sperately than the two on the back of the monitor but by reading through the review, one can see that there are in fact 4 USB ports on the 1907.

U

Unregistered

1907FP a big downgrade

I'm not sure about this review as the "user opinions" over at the CNET site are more believable. I have both the Dell 1905FP and the Dell 1907FP (which I am returning by the way for a refund).

Color reproduction is unacceptable, darker to lighter colors from top to bottom with washing out, perhaps backlight bleeding on the bottom half of the panel, brightness varys across the panel making it hard on the eyes.

In speeding up this monitor by a different and faster panel they have downgrade this product significantly.

I wouldn't recommend this LCD to anyone as others have commented the same as myself on the poor overall quality of this monitor.

Maybe you were lucky and got one with a good brand of panel. I understand there is more than one brand of panel in the 1907FP.

Regards
Allan

U

Unregistered

cleaning the screen

I've been told to use soap and water to clean the dirty screen...I did this and it seems to leave a film...does anyone have any other suggestions?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
From there, I would take a very soft cloth and rub back over the screen. I am thinking that the film that was left over is soap. You more than likely used a bit to much. This is just a guess though. I clean my with a damp cloth without soap and have had good results doing that.

U

Unregistered

Great value

I haven't experienced any of the problems reported by some here. I don't use it for gaming, but as an amateur photographer I do use it for post processing (calibrated with an Monaco Optix XR Pro). I'm very well pleased.

Re: cleaning: I've never had to use soapy water or any liquid to clean my monitor, my laptop display or any of my television (save the only one my 2-year-old daughter can reach). I instead use compressed gas, followed with a couple passes w/ microfiber clothes (use a clean one for each pass).

Do not use a microfiber cloth on "soft" surfaces like LCD monitors and televisions until after you've blown the screen clean w/ compressed gas. The cloth won't scratch the screen cover, but the dust trapped in the cloth can.

Microfiber cloths are available in various sizes, are easily washed (separately by hand is best) and last forever. I use them on my camera lenses as well. You can even find them in larger sizes - great for cleaning the interiors of your car's windows when nothing else will clear haze or streaks.

Anyway, so much for cleaning. A great monitor for the money.

U

Unregistered

Clarification

Do not use a microfiber cloth on "soft" surfaces like LCD monitors and televisions until after you've blown the screen clean w/ compressed gas. The cloth won't scratch the screen cover, but the dust trapped in the cloth can.

I mean the soft screens over LCD computer monitors and LCD TVs.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Microfiber cloths help get rid of fingerprints? I've just been using a soft paper towel and water. I guess I am not that concerned, personally. As for camera lenses, I just use a Lenspen... it seems to work fine. Brush on one side and a scrubber on the other.

I might pick up a microfiber cloth and see how they work though. Where is something like that normally kept in a store?

U

Unregistered

dual monotoring

do you have to use the dvi port to use two monitors? Can't use USB connection for the second monitor?