Damn, the 6800GT OC is hawt!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This card is so hawt in fact, that it 'sploded!

Check out this situation. I finally was getting around to put together my Intel rig, and everything went fairly smoothly. After fiddling around for a while trying to get the thing to boot, it finally happened!

I boot up the machine and *SPARK pop BAM*, I lost all power in my room. To make a long story short, I pulled out the video card and took a close look. Check out the pictures to see what happened.

As if the card was not enough, whatever happened to the card also took out my monitor at the same time.. because it will not work regardless of what I do.

Let me know your thoughts :)

Attachments

• IMGP6996.JPG
    IMGP6996.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 686
  • IMGP7000.JPG
    IMGP7000.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 692

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, this is my second card from them. The first one I sent back because of overheating issues, but at least it didn't spark! They are obviously going to push the same card on me, but I do *not* want that model. I would take a 6800GS instead; I don't care if it's a downgrade.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It works, but I run into random problems. I am 95% sure all is fine, other than a dead Corsair stick. Not sure if it was the mobo that killed it though..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No idea really, it could be anything. I would think that if it would kill *one* stick of memory, that it may affect more than just that though.

Computers up and running, using my 7800. Seems to be working fine also, but I won't really be able to benchmark anything until I get a working kit of DDR2.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well it's a review sample, so a regular RMA would not likely apply. I will just have to talk to them on Monday.

Just sent off an e-mail to BFG and hope to receive a reply in the next two days. Usually they are pretty quick so I expect one soon enough. I am just hoping they will not try to force another 6800GT on me, because it won't happen.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Lol. If they give me anything back, it will be a slight downgrade or upgrade. I paid $620CAN for that card and used it for three months. What a waste of money :-/

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I had a friend of mine that sparked his BFG... how discouraging. Lifetime warranty is cool, but if the damn thing is a fire hazard... then I dont want one!

Worldstar

Obliviot
CoolZone said:
ouch...what an exploding video card...you should get a full refund.

If a video card explodes, they should do a *lot* more then just give him a full refund. They should pay for any damage to his rig too.