Curious why do people need a laptop?

Fr00zen

Obliviot
Curious as to why people need a laptop. Anything to do with being lazy? Wanting to lounge around on a chair while using the computer? Any of the members here have any practical purpose to owning a laptop?

I always had a desktop PC here, and I never could see any reason to owning a laptop. When I was in college, we had a computer lab. In class, I didn't have time to use a laptop, while paying attention to class. There is absolutely no reason that I can think for college students to own one.

I can understand people who travel a lot on business owning a laptop, otherwise I can't understand why people own them when a desktop PC is cheaper, more effective, bigger keyboard and larger monitor.

I am in College and our course requires us to lease a laptop so we can work on our stuff at home as well as in school. Now that I've been using one for school I enjoy using it. I could not go without one for any length of tiime. It is convenient when my desktop pc is messed up or if I am in a game I can use it to check something.

They are also good for people who are working on other peoples computers and need to check something. I think it is for convenience.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"Wanting to lounge around on a chair while using the computer?"

Haha, that's not the best idea for some people only because the underside of the laptop can get hot very quickly. That makes it not so comfortable anymore.

I primarily use my laptop as a solid Linux box that I use mainly for IM'ing when I am home. Whenever I am on the road though, it's excellent to have handy, especially if I am fixing a friends computer.

Even though my particular laptop sucks for gaming, it's better than bringing along a gameboy on a flight :)

Uc-ker

Obliviot
I purchased a laptop on an impulse and sort of regretted ever since. I use to go on vacation with my parents, then when I moved to college then I would have spring break. However, other then those 2 weeks or 3 weeks of vacation out of the year where I use the laptop, I never use it elsewhere. I regretted buying it because it was a very expensive piece of equipment to end up never using it.

supramax

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
"Wanting to lounge around on a chair while using the computer?"

Haha, that's not the best idea for some people only because the underside of the laptop can get hot very quickly. That makes it not so comfortable anymore.

Thats the MAIN reason I bought a laptop!! I love laying back on my favorite and most comfortable chair and typing / browsing the internet.

My laptop does not get hot on the bottom. I think I would of noticed if it did, because it is always laying in my lap.

Fr00zen

Obliviot
supramax said:
Thats the MAIN reason I bought a laptop!! I love laying back on my favorite and most comfortable chair and typing / browsing the internet.

My laptop does not get hot on the bottom. I think I would of noticed if it did, because it is always laying in my lap.

I knew when I started this thread that atleast one person would give that as a reason :D

MaRm

Obliviot
I got a cheap laptop for less then one hundred and fifty from an Ebay auction. I take it to the park with me on a sunny day, sit on the grass, and type to my hearts content.

supramax

Obliviot
MaRm said:
I got a cheap laptop for less then one hundred and fifty from an Ebay auction. I take it to the park with me on a sunny day, sit on the grass, and type to my hearts content.

What kind of laptop did you manage to buy for 150?

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'd like to have a laptop for taking to peoples homes while working on their PCs. It would make it un-necessary to bring their PC here to work on in the advent of theirs not having 'net connection since the laptop could connect to the 'net at their home and burn any files I didn't have stored on it's HDD then burn them to cd.

A lappy and a ide/sata external drive shell for putting their HDD in for emergency file extraction (to again burn to cd) just in case I need to do a wipe reinstall would be all I'd need for in home repairs aside from hand tools.

Without a laptop I have to burn what I thing I need to cd then take it along with me just in case. If I don't have what I need and I can't get online or I need to do a wipe/reload and they don't have a burner or their PC is too far gone to burn a cd then I have to load up their PC and haul it home and rip out their HDD and stick it in my home PC risking my PCs health and do the work here then I can do the wipe/reload after getting their info.

Yes, for a service tech a laptop is more than a luxury, it's a must have tool.

adabo24

Obliviot
Don't own a laptop, but my father does. You will never guess the reason he bought a laptop.......

The reason he bought a laptop instead of a desktop pc was because he has <b>no</b> desktop. I mean to say he has no desk. He never purchased a desk and he lives in a small house, and did not want to try to make a spot for a desk. :eek:

chillout

Obliviot
adabo24 said:
The reason he bought a laptop instead of a desktop pc was because he has <b>no</b> desktop. I mean to say he has no desk. He never purchased a desk and he lives in a small house, and did not want to try to make a spot for a desk. :eek:

That is VERY funny. Good reason to buy a laptop, you don't own a desk! hahaha

Worldstar

Obliviot
I use my laptop when my friend visits me to set up a network for gaming. My friend will sit on the laptop and play on there, while I sit at my main machine.

discharge

Obliviot
Mine is for college classes. We were required to own a computer for college, and my parents insisted that I get a laptop. You got to ask them why. However, I do have to admit it has come in handy on occasion. Being able to take it anywhere. I sometimes take it to a lecture and take notes into it during the lecture.

gliffy

Obliviot
Worldstar said:
I use my laptop when my friend visits me to set up a network for gaming. My friend will sit on the laptop and play on there, while I sit at my main machine.

You get an unfair advantage that way? Your desktop PC probably has a faster video card then a laptop. If I played you in a game like that, I would blame it on the laptop when I lost ;) ;)

izzie

Obliviot
I got a laptop pretty cheap at a flea market, believe it or not. I usually use it while watching television.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Notebooks for school are a beautiful thing. I love being able to take mine to class, take down notes and then sitting in the library working on papers knowing that if I have a problem, I have a short walk to the profs. office for help. The mobility of notebooks are a beautiful thing.

I think what makes me want a Laptop is I can take work anywhere. as I work on website and update things 24/7 just about it helps getting the job done and make use of every sec of the day.. "time is money"

I also Like it for the fact it can be put away, no need to have a huge setup anymore. tuck it in its backpack and walla no more PC on the desk. I find it easier and more convienent to be able to move and setup around the house...