Corsair Carbide 400R Mid-Tower Chassis Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Corsair's cases have long been considered to be some of the best, but at prices of $180+, many have had to sit out and hope for more modest offerings. With the Carbide series, those have arrived. The 400R mid-tower we're looking at here retails for just under $100, so let's see how it compares to Corsair's other offerings.

Read Ryan's in-depth look at Corsair's Carbide 400R chassis and then discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
It was just brought to my attention on another forum that there is an issue with adding 3rd party fans in the 400R. The screws included with the stock fans feature a larger than normal head that rests on the rubber isolator in the screw holes while the heads on standard screws are much smaller causing them to pull through if too much force is used.

Have a peek...

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=529326

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Awesome review. I actually think I will go for this, as well as contact Corsair about the screws, instead of getting the HAF 932 advanced. This looks really good and it's a lot cheaper. I just need something bigger than what I have. Mine is a really small mid-size tower. CM Elite Black. It's size is 19.30"L x 7.50"W x 16.70"H. This Corsair is 20.5"L x 8.1"W x 19.8"H. A tad over 3" taller. Methinks I'll be buying this soon :)

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Awesome review. I actually think I will go for this, as well as contact Corsair about the screws, instead of getting the HAF 932 advanced. This looks really good and it's a lot cheaper. I just need something bigger than what I have. Mine is a really small mid-size tower. CM Elite Black. It's size is 19.30"L x 7.50"W x 16.70"H. This Corsair is 20.5"L x 8.1"W x 19.8"H. A tad over 3" taller. Methinks I'll be buying this soon :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009

this be better if u going less costly corsair! :D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Stay tuned for a review on the 500R too. A little birdy told me that one should be arriving soon.

The 500R is a little bit more flexible with regards to storage internally and offers another fan on the left panel so I think that it would do mighty fine for cooling. It's as if the 400R and 600T had a beautiful baby.

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Yeah but it's another $40...There's virtually NO difference in the height, width or length between the 400R and the 500R, save for a mere .2" taller, and looking at the pics I don't see ANY difference between it and the 400R except the 500R has a cover over the top fan slots, the 200mm fan (which I can buy with the 400R and still be cheaper) and the HDD cages look a tad different. Not gonna make that much of a difference for me.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The hard drive cage on the 500R is more in line with what is found in the 650D and 600T in that you can change the configuration. Move the locations, remove sections, etc.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Got my 500R and I love it. FYI, those long bolts with screw tips on the end, those are outlined in the 500R's instructions. They're fan screws. I assume they're the same pieces in the 400R that you couldn't find anything about in the instructions.

Last edited: