Core Duo 2 -- No Ide

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel is expected to disclose on Tuesday its launch plans surrounding its next-generation Core2 microprocessors, as well as a new low-voltage Core Duo chip that will be featured in thin-and-light notebooks from Dell and HP.

Of longer-term importance, however, will be the introduction of the Intel P965 or "Broadwater" chipset, which marks the end of older parallel ATA disk drives and IDE storage within the PC.

Link

This is definitely not something I would miss. S-ATA allows much better airflow in your PC, which is the main reason I prefer it over IDE. Now manufacturers just need to move their asses and release more S-ATA based roms.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
Just how many SATA DVD drives are there out there? The only ones I have found (mind I haven't looked in a while) have been pretty damn expensive.

But it's good it's finally happened though, hate IDE! When I biult this pc, I spent quite a bit of time with a razor blade and my flat IDE cables making them round so I could hid them :D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Excellent point RazorBack!
Hopefully this will kick the manufacturers into high gear and give us more selection on the SATA optical front.

I Hate that I have such a limited offering. Now if I wanted to add in the bulk of a converter to move PATA to SATA, I would be fine... but the bulk of that converter card hanging off the back of my optical drive just does not sit well with me.

madmat

Soup Nazi
The motherboard manufacturers will most likely continue as they have been by integrating an outboard IDE controller into the boards they put out for the core duo.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
RazorBack said:
Just how many SATA DVD drives are there out there?

Well, that's the thing. Manufacturers need to get a move-on... and I have to question why they haven't already? S-ATA obviously doesn't hurt the speed any, it leaves better airflow, makes your computer look cleaner. It just seems to make sense to me. S-ATA hard drives have been around for a while, yet we still have to use IDE for our stupid roms.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The only ROMs out there that use SATA are still IDE ROMs, they just have an on board converter to allow SATA hook up. Lame if you as me as the bandwidth is still the same but its better than nothing. I dont care for IDE for the same reasons Rob does........to bulky and SATA just looks cleaner. I am anal about cable managment and SATA cables are so much easier to route than IDEs.

dloneranger

Obliviot
And with the growing amount of motherboards that have only one ide socket - we're going to need sata dvd drive pretty soon
I'm not that bothered with them using a sata-ide converter chip though, it's cheap, easy and who cares about latency off a dvd - they're so slow that you can't tell the difference;)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
And with the growing amount of motherboards that have only one ide socket - we're going to need sata dvd drive pretty soon
I'm not that bothered with them using a sata-ide converter chip though, it's cheap, easy and who cares about latency off a dvd - they're so slow that you can't tell the difference;)

I agree 100%

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There are a few S-ATA DVD burners out there, but I have no sweet clue why they haven't caught on like wildfire. Who in the hell would prefer IDE over S-ATA? Better airflow... and no ultra-clunky interface.

dloneranger

Obliviot
There are a few S-ATA DVD burners out there, but I have no sweet clue why they haven't caught on like wildfire. Who in the hell would prefer IDE over S-ATA? Better airflow... and no ultra-clunky interface.
Price !!
Why are sata dvd's so expensive when the difference between ide hard drives and the equivalent ide drive is almost nothing?

----------------------------
One reason for IDE comes to mind

Hard drive test programs don't like non-ide drives very much (maxtor's is probably the worst I've seen - it won't even finish searching for drives unless I disable the sata controllers in the bios)
If my HD is on an ide lead I can at least test it :)

At the moment I have one hard drive that goes 'clunk' occasionally - it's going to fail soon, but I can't check six of the eight as they're SATA
(OT - so far I've had 4 out of 20 maxtor 300gb sata drives fail on different pc's - not buying any more of them...)

Last edited:

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
I still prefer IDE. Of course, I have no choice in the matter since I still harbor ten or twelve odd drives bound by those flat, obtrusive cables...

I certainly won't be making another IDE purchase but it should be noted there's still a significant amount of consumers in my scenario who will be having to make the gradual (costly) switch. I've learned on the OCA forums of dandy little devices like these, though, which may ease the transition, at least until our PATA drives die outright.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Those adapters are nice but the look quite bad hanging off the back of a drive. Regardless, they still look better than IDE ribbons.....so I will take the lesser of two evils I suppose.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
With SATA becoming more and more mainstream, I believe most will agree that IDE is on it's way out. SATA is more efficient, faster, and quickly becoming less and less expensive to make. This new board revision takes into account these factors and leaves IDE out completely. Not a bad idea, I think.