CoolIT Freezone Elite CPU Cooler

werty316

Partition Master
I would get a nice high end watercooling kit then going with the Freezone Elite due to its price.

Spike99

Obliviot
Hi William,

I have an update. I recently RMA'd defective Freezone Elite and got a replacement and the one I got was the retail version. Since they are now supporting VISTA 64BIT I got the MTEC this time.

Before: - No MTEC
QX6850 @ 3.66GHz vcore 1.4875 Room Temp 20C
High fan core#1 33 idle, 70 load. Increase of 37C

After: With MTEC & OCZ Freeze Extreme Thermal Compound
QX6850 @ 3.66GHz vcore 1.4875 Room Temp 22C
High fan core#1 33 idle, 57 load. Increase of 24C

With new Elite with MTEC & OCZ thermal paste, I got much better results but I still needed to turn on my Air Conditioner due to heat generated from having vcore so high.

Recently I also RMA'd defective MOBO. After I got replacement (same model) I decided to stress test PC again to see if I can lower 1 or 2 voltage notches. I thought I would only be able to go 1 or 2 voltage notches... but so far I have gone down serveral notches... Currently testing 1.4125v and it looks like it's stable so I'll be able to go lower... Current load temp is ~51C.

Looks like stress testing stability is very dependent on MOBO and possibly BIOS version.

Last edited:

Spike99

Obliviot
Looks like I wasn't able to go lower that 1.4125v. Below are my new temps

QX6850 @ 3.66GHz vcore 1.4125 Room Temp 22C
High fan core#1 25 idle, 44 load. Increase of 19C

I now have new low temps, which will result my room to be cooler too :)

U

Unregistered

To Spike

Spike, I have a Coolermaster Stacker 830 and was looking at getting Freezone elite to cool my INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9450 QUAD CORE processor. I was just wonderin, did you have any problems with the fans in the side panel when installing the Freezone Elite? Did you have to remove the top left fan in the door panel in order to install it?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Lyndon

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Spike, I have a Coolermaster Stacker 830 and was looking at getting Freezone elite to cool my INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9450 QUAD CORE processor. I was just wonderin, did you have any problems with the fans in the side panel when installing the Freezone Elite? Did you have to remove the top left fan in the door panel in order to install it?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Lyndon
I dont know what he did, but I put my large 120cm fan on the outside, it did get in the way the way it was.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Spike99

Obliviot
Hi,

Sorry, I haven't checked this site in a while...

Yes, I did have a problem installing the side bracket for fans on the side panel... and didn't bother in installing initially... Since I have a 8800 ultra, It seems that my case temp was very high so after re-checking... I was able to install the side fan bracket. The fan bracket is plastic, so it wasn't difficult to bend it a bit... and I was able to fit it in. I was only able to place 3 fans. I left out the one directly above the Elite. The Elite's metal plate is flexible at the end, so I am able to push in fan bracket to the closed position... It was very easy to close the side panel.

After installing the 3 120mm fans (intake), case temp did not improve... I reversed the left bottom (directly above the video card) from intake to exhaust and it appears that it lowered my case temp. Before it was like 7C difference between open vs closed case (I have a fan controller which displays case temp). Now it's like ~ 4C difference.

Note: I must say that my temps were with PC laying on it side with side panel off. I didn't want my case temp to hinder the best possible temp I can achive. Also, I ran MTEC @ 100% which shows maximum performance... I don't imagine anyone running theirs at 100% due to the fan noise... You can play with coolant temp and set it at a noise level you are comfortable with.

PC laying on its side, with open side panel
High fan core#1 25 idle, 44 load. Increase of 19C

PC standing upright. Side panel closed.
High fan core#1 29 idle, 51 load. Increase of 22C

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Doctor_Death

Obliviot
I did the very frist review of the freezone elite for nordic hardware close to 6 months ago using a pre-production Elite and was really impressed with it.I have been using it ever since on a QX 9650@4Ghz and have never had a single problem with it. I have installed 20 of them for my customers and they love them. I also own their 12TEC Boreas thats also on a QX9650@4GHz. I should have two GTX280s to replace my 9800GTXs so i will be using the Boreas to cool them also. The GTX280 build will be going in Antecs new 1200 case that i should be getting about the same time as the GTX280s. Every review i have on the 1200 never showed a system installed so thats what i plan on doing in my review to show that it will hold the lastest graphic cards. Once the review is posted i will be modding the 1200 to fit another Boreas thats been sitting here.
As far as temps go, the Elite keeps the 4Ghz QX9650 temps at idle around30c, underload 36c-38c which is damm good. The Boreas keeps that QX9650 which is also at 4GHz at 26c-28c idle., underload 30c-34c which is also very good. You can get the Elite and the MTEC control center & module from www.crazypc.com for $369. For another $30 you can have Mike at crazy pc sleeve the whole unit for you if you do not want to sleeve it yourself.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Where to go bye one.
My freezone is not doing very well.
Seems no one carries this unit

Merlin

Spike99

Obliviot
Where to go bye one.
My freezone is not doing very well.
Seems no one carries this unit
Merlin

If you are interested in getting an Elite, go to CoolIT's website: http://www.coolitsystems.com/

I bought mine directly from them.

Before you buy, I would check out William's CPU Cooler Roundup - 22 Models Tackle a QX6850. He only tests Air-Coolers but it's a good indication of CPU coolers. Since his test results are based on a open air testing rig I would add like 5C to his results.

Although I believe the Elite is better, I'm not fond of the noise it generates. You can lower the noise by setting the coolant temp with MTEC software... but by lowering the coolant temp, you can probably get same results from an air CPU cooler.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
If you are interested in getting an Elite, go to CoolIT's website: http://www.coolitsystems.com/

I bought mine directly from them.

Before you buy, I would check out William's CPU Cooler Roundup - 22 Models Tackle a QX6850. He only tests Air-Coolers but it's a good indication of CPU coolers. Since his test results are based on a open air testing rig I would add like 5C to his results.

Although I believe the Elite is better, I'm not fond of the noise it generates. You can lower the noise by setting the coolant temp with MTEC software... but by lowering the coolant temp, you can probably get same results from an air CPU cooler.

440.00 USD at the CoolIt site
335.00 USD at ProVantage

Ahhhhh I think I'll save a few bucks and get a wireless N by Linksys ( Cisco technologies )

Merlin

Spike99

Obliviot
440.00 USD at the CoolIt site
335.00 USD at ProVantage

Ahhhhh I think I'll save a few bucks and get a wireless N by Linksys ( Cisco technologies )

Merlin

If you buy from them, I think they still have a promo of giving 30% off if you send them your old CPU cooler. Ask for Barry.

Their site is selling for $450 - $135 = $315.00 CAD

Since the price is in canadian... It's almost the same price for USD. I would still buy from them and ensure you get the latest firmware... If you have XP you can upgrade firmware yourself... but if you have VISTA 64bit, you won't be able.... Not sure about VISTA 32BIT. Check with them.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
If you buy from them, I think they still have a promo of giving 30% off if you send them your old CPU cooler. Ask for Barry.

Their site is selling for $450 - $135 = $315.00 CAD

Since the price is in canadian... It's almost the same price for USD. I would still buy from them and ensure you get the latest firmware... If you have XP you can upgrade firmware yourself... but if you have VISTA 64bit, you won't be able.... Not sure about VISTA 32BIT. Check with them.
I have to use this one till the new one arrives. the downtime would be too long to take out, send in and wait for the other, this is for my security system and my server....so all I have time for is to take one out, and put the other in.

Thanks for the reply, though :)

Merlin

Spike99

Obliviot
I have to use this one till the new one arrives. the downtime would be too long to take out, send in and wait for the other, this is for my security system and my server....so all I have time for is to take one out, and put the other in.

Thanks for the reply, though :)

Merlin

You can wait until you get the Elite and then send in yours.

Spike99

Obliviot
I'll Shoot Sean an email and see whats up...I have already ordered and its shipping from Provantage

Merlin

Otherwise I might have taken the offer

OK

Let me know your before and after temps compared to your current cpu cooler.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
OK

Let me know your before and after temps compared to your current cpu cooler.
I had to cancel the order, it was way back ordered, till next month.
Seems to be a very popular cooler with all the back orders.
When they release my Visa charge I'll go to the CoolIt site and see what's up

Merlin

TheFocusElf

Obliviot
It is funny how I always find myself back here! As I go higher and higher in terms of quality and enthusiast parts, I've found links back to TechGage - so congratulations to you Rob and your crew.

Now I was linked here from CoolIT, and as you may know from my build, I've a fully Lapped 965 running at 4.2ghz, it is aircooled by a V8, and I don't have my voltages on my laptop, but the bottom line is it does run very hot at load.

Also, they released retention brackets for the 1366 and that has me wondering if this would beat out the Coolermaster V8 significantly while the system is at load. Does anyone have any results or tests of devices like the V8 or the True120 on an i7? Well, wishful thinking.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Look for us to have a test machine with an i7 very soon as we are currently building a machine with a i7 965 processor just for this purpose!

TheFocusElf

Obliviot
Very nice! My final build is a :

i7 965
6GB Corsair DD3 1600 Ram
EVGA Nvidia 285
EVGA X58 Classified MoBo (The first one, retails around 299 - can't really understand the 500 dollar unit)
Killer Xeno NIC
ATCS 840 Case
Corsair 1000W
Coolermaster V8
2x 300GB velociraptors
1x P256 Corsair SSD

The coolermaster V8 is, s'alright, but venturing into watercooling, I first saw the $70 Corsair H50 self contained watercooling CPU device, then via frozen CPU I came upon this CoolIT Freezone, and the price tag has me wondering, is it THAT much better than the Corsair? The corsair was about 3* C cooler than the True 120 on average when under load. Frankly, I'm not at that kind of plateau where 3* would justify even 70 bucks more to trade from the V8 to the H50.

I'm looking to drop around 10* or so, and if I need to scale back my OC a bit, that's fine too.