Cooler Master Cosmos S

jvezina

Obliviot
Just got my Cosmos S , one word ...WOW , this thing is HUGE !!! I'm replacing my Antec 900 and it looks like a midget compared to the Cosmos S . I just love it , a lot of space to work in , the cable managment is a big plus . I would of liked to have a slide out for the motherboard but theres a lot of space so not that much of a problem .

I'm running a E8400 @ 4.2 Ghz and the temps are great .

Mad

I love this case too, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I have a Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler installed on my ASUS Rampage and I was very worried that I could not close the case because of the large case fan on the cover. The housing for the fan just barely touches the cooling fins on the Noctua. I had to put the fan on the downstream side of the coolings fins. I also had to turn the fan housing 90 degrees so the flat part of the housing was on top and horizontal. Now only about a quarter inch of the fans housing just touches the edge of the cooling fins. And that's how it will stay.

So I have to say that in spite of the large case, the cooling fan on the cover could be re-worked just a little. I am just burning in my system now, and have it running without the cover on. My temps are all below 30 degrees C (20 for the CPU). The hottest part in my system is the Northbridge and Southbridge because the air flow is blocked by the video card. I have only the Cosmos stock fans so far. The NB and SB temps are 50 degrees C. with the cover off. I am sure these will drop as soon as I put the cover on and plug in the large cover fan.

I am also thinking of pulling an old reset switch from a discarded computer and mounting it in one of the bay grills. I'll update the measured temps as soon as I finish testing.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
just wondering, the CPU cooler used for the setup was a Cooler Master CM Sphere?!?

Our setups have changed since then. Back then, we were still figuring things out, so we used whatever was kicking around ;) Not that it's a bad cooler, but we've come to use better ones since then.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Our setups have changed since then. Back then, we were still figuring things out, so we used whatever was kicking around ;) Not that it's a bad cooler, but we've come to use better ones since then.

it gave some really good results! i mean, the CPU barely crossed the 40C mark under load, thats really good!

i was thinking though, if i get a CPU cooler it'll be a one time investment. I'll most probably be upgrading to a quad core or hexa core in the next yr or so, so best buy what will last the longest!

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
... i was thinking though, if i get a CPU cooler it'll be a one time investment. I'll most probably be upgrading to a quad core or hexa core in the next yr or so, so best buy what will last the longest!
This is the path that I am on. Rob has given me a good argument (logic) to build a system that I need *now* around a I7-920. I need the number crunching power of the I7-975, but at $1000 I would never set it aside when the hexa-cores are available. On the other hand, a $250+ I7-920 can put off to the side with far less concern.

I made the investment in WC a few years ago & am reusing the primary components from that, as well as the case, for my new build. I need the water block for the I7s, but may get a less expensive air cooler if availability for the *primo* water block becomes an issue. Then I'll get the WC system up & going when I have all the parts and when I get to it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's one potential downside with water-cooling, at least as far as I'm aware. Unlike most air coolers, water-blocks tend to be built for a specific mount, so it's complicated to use a single block from build to build (again, I could be wrong). The air cooler situation right now is good though, since a lot of them include the mounts for all current socket-types. Of course, there's issues when a new socket comes out, but that's unavoidable.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I gotta honestly disagree about the block compatibility... older or less popular sockets may need to grab an extra mounting kit, but that's still cheaper than a new block or cooler. While it's now an outdated model, Swiftech's Apogee GT block will fit any socket made within the last 5 years... For AMD it can fit AM2, 462, F, 754, 939, 940.... for Intel, 1366, 775, 771 603/604, 478. It's three generations out of date so it won't fit LGA1156...