Cooler Master Cosmos S

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In the world of computer cases, it seems that far too many do not stand out from the crowd. Cooler Master has decided to break tradition and create something special. With many features not seen before and full eATX compatibility, how well does the Cosmos S stand out?

You can read Bill's full review here and discuss it here.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Great review Bill. Thats a solid looking chassis. I was surprised to see it best the 900 case considering that it is practically a giant ventilation hole. Good read.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Great review......
I almost got the Comos case for this build.....but after seeing this article, I want the Cosmos S
( If I can find one )

Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
It really is a very good case. If you have the room for it, you'll love it. I think what makes it beat the 900 is the wire management and the top ventilation. This case is probably going to "force" me to build a water loop just because I always wanted to build a full internal loop for a Quad and SLI.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
It really is a very good case. If you have the room for it, you'll love it. I think what makes it beat the 900 is the wire management and the top ventilation. This case is probably going to "force" me to build a water loop just because I always wanted to build a full internal loop for a Quad and SLI.
Sounds great......

We will all, of course, need to see some photos :rolleyes:

I looked last night for the Cosmos S...didn't see any at new egg.
I'll try tigerdirect tonight.

Merlin :techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Thanks

Sweeeet..........

I went ahead and put this build into an older Thermaltake Armor case, which is fine, cooling is no problem.
I almost got the older Cosmos case from Micro Center, but they were out.
But I saw the review here at Teckgage :techgage: on the Cosmos S case and knew It was the one for this build.

I'll order one in a week ( payday ).

Thanks for the link

Merlin

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Sweet chassis, one of the very few that even comes close to making me "think" about trying another case besides my UFO...............:)

werty316

Partition Master
The Cosmos S is one sweet case which the Cosmos should have been in the first place and its good to see that CM listen to all of the feedback on the Cosmos and made an already great case even more better.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Sorry it doesn't look like a Nintendo!

:D

I really like this case... but the price is a killer! For the exact price I can buy many of the MountainMod cases or order a custom build case from them... And they could have at least included a second drive cage for that price! Perhaps if they offer another massive MIR like they did for the original Cosmos that one time...

The triple 120mm radiator mount, the excellent cable management options (for the cable management impaired), and the side panel fan to balance in/out airflow with a triple radiator almost has me sold.

NicePants42

Partition Master
Perhaps if they offer another massive MIR like they did for the original Cosmos that one time...
I'm willing to bet they will. CM does some crazy rebate deals. I got my Real Power Pro 1000W for $170.

The triple 120mm radiator mount, the excellent cable management options (for the cable management impaired), and the side panel fan to balance in/out airflow with a triple radiator almost has me sold.
100% agreed - I'm especially liking the amount of clearance in the top of the case - looks like a PA120.3 could fit up there!

Bill, can you get any measurements on the height between the top of the motherboard and the bottom of the top case fans (i.e., max allowable radiator thickness)? Width won't be a problem either, right? PA120.3 dimensions are 430.2x126x64mm for reference.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Well, I was ready to purchase this case. But looking at a lot of problems others are having.......I'm not sure now and holding off.

#1 issue is the touch button not working.
#2 issue is broken parts caused by shipping.
#3 issue is hard drive cage is too light weight and holds only 4 drives.
#4 issue is side panels will not stay on, spring locks get stuck and don't keep the panels on/secure.

Maybe another revision is coming out, I DO like the design and concept.

Merlin

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Bill, can you get any measurements on the height between the top of the motherboard and the bottom of the top case fans (i.e., max allowable radiator thickness)? Width won't be a problem either, right? PA120.3 dimensions are 430.2x126x64mm for reference.
I don't think a PA series will fit without a bit of modding, the fan spacing appears to be the "OTHER" standard................:eek: But other than that it looks like if you were to place the fans on top of the grill side a PA radiator should fit. But in any case, you're going to have to break out the dremel..................:D

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Change of mind

I think I'll go back to the Thermaltake Mozart case for the Q9450 .....
I like the Cosmos S design, just too many are unsatisfied with it .

Merlin :techgage:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I had my rig setup in the Mozart at one time, nice case and all, but all in all not all that great for water cooling unless you're using Thermaltakes aluminum radiators (which I won't do).

My son is using the case now and really likes it, he even hauls the huge thing to lans and back and forth out here on weekends when he comes out.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Well, I was ready to purchase this case. But looking at a lot of problems others are having.......I'm not sure now and holding off.

#1 issue is the touch button not working.
#2 issue is broken parts caused by shipping.
#3 issue is hard drive cage is too light weight and holds only 4 drives.
#4 issue is side panels will not stay on, spring locks get stuck and don't keep the panels on/secure.

Maybe another revision is coming out, I DO like the design and concept.

Merlin

OK, sorry I am taking too long to answer questions about this case. While I no longer have it in front of me, I feel I can still field these questions.

1. No problems for mine. Worked fine every shot and in fact too well when my kids would walk over and "press the pretty light".
2. You cannot blame shipping problems on Coolermaster. UPS likes to use their packages as chock blocks and soccer balls.
3. Holding "only 4" drives should not be a problem since there is no logical reason for the normal user to have more than 4 drives. If you want to use more than 4 small drives than it's time to buy larger ones or you could simply nuy some really cheap 3.5 to 5.25 rail adapters for under $10 shipped each.
4. The doors on mine opened on their own until I took the time to shut them semi-forceably and then they stayed shut. Most likely more an issue of someone expecting them to shut with a light push.