CONSOLE WARS!

Envy

Obliviot
Haha, I love console wars :) So I'm going to start one. First of all, I'll start by stating my opinion.

sony_playstation_3.jpg
The PS3.

Brief summary:
Made by sony. It's current price $399. Originally priced at about $499 or $599 (Can't remember). It comes with bluray capabilities and a 120gb hardrive (default?).

Pros:
-Faster Cpu than the 360
-Praised for better graphics than the 360
-Free online (internet and network)
-Bluray Capabilities
-Web Browsing

Cons:
-High console game prices
-People complain about the layout
-In my opinion I don't like the controller
-$100 more than 360

xbox360.jpg

Brief Summary:
Made by M$ (Microsoft, duh) Current Price is $299. Normal 360 comes with 60gb HDD.

Pros:

-Controller (My opinion)
-Cheaper than PS3
-Online layout is praised

Cons:

-Pay to play online
-Confusing online currency
-Graphics said to be not as good as PS3
-No web browsing

In my opinion, the PS3 is hands down better and I find the layout to be just as good as 360s despite what some people say.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Con...sole?

What means this con..sole?

I read a little blurb that made me giggle.

Nintendo Wii - for those who have real life friends.
XBox 360 - for those who only have friends online.
Playstation3 - for those with no friends.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Here's my personal pros/cons of each console (and yes, I own all three).

Nintendo Wii
+ Great for people who like to play with friends.
+ Has the ability to actually bring families together.
+ Classic Nintendo characters (Zelda, Mario, et cetera).
+ Motion can be sometimes intuitive.
+ Can play GameCube games and use classic gamepads.

- Absolute dependence on the Wiimote motion in certain titles.
- Total lack of 720p/1080p resolution.
- Getting online can be a real pain.
- Unintuitive friend handling.
- Gamepad is EXPENSIVE when you purchase both halves.

PlayStation 3
+ Good game selection.
+ Fantastic graphics.
+ Solid, mostly intuitive UI.
+ Can download many PSone titles.
+ Can play Blu-ray movies.
+ Great interoperability between PS3 and PSP.
+ Very nice and reliable Web browser.
+ No monthly/yearly subscription fees to go and play online.
+ USB keyboards and mice are plug-and-play.

- PlayStation Network (PSN) sucks. Virtually no preview for games you want to download.
- Inability to run PlayStation 2 games on newer models.
- Inability to run Linux, despite it being an originally advertised feature.
- Can get LOUD if it gets too warm.

Xbox 360
+ Fantastic game selection.
+ Great graphics.
+ Nice gamepad design, though a tad large.
+ Xbox Live Arcade is heads-and-shoulders above PSN.
+ Gamerscores a better implementation than PSN Trophies.
+ Good interoperability between Xbox and PC (profiles-wise).

- Red ring issues.
- Complicated dashboard.
- $100 to upgrade to a 250GB 2.5" drive.
- Batteries in wireless gamepads die too quick.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
- Unintuitive friend handling.
Winnar!

I was solely a console gamer. NES, SNES, Game Boy, N64. Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast (the most under rated system and biggest cock up in gaming history in my opinion). PSX, PS2, PSP.

Then I got into computers about 4 years ago and the rest is history.

I guess the versatility really appeals to me but this is a console war thread. I just figured why not play a little devil's advocate and say screw you consoles!

Last edited:

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I have not had a single problem with my batteries in my 360 controllers dying, I played the 360 the 1st week I got it for several hours per day and the batteries took like a week to die (I'm using Energizer Rechargeables maybe that's why they last so long?) Also if your halfway decent with computers and electronics then you can just grab HDDHackr and buy a WD SATA laptop drive for like $60/$70 and a case to put the drive into for $10. And since you can just create a new XBL account then get a month free, technically.... XBL is freeish. Oh and USB keyboards are plug-and-play (which makes me wonder why the hell anyone would buy the chatpad).

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I've always been a die hard SOny PS fan and probably always will be. I can't say I have even given any other console a chance since my Super Nintendo. If I were to buy another it would undoubtedly be the Wii since I LOVE Mario games. XBox has just never appealed to me. My PS3 is used extensively by me and my kids for games and it is also the family DVD/Blu-Ray player. I think it is the perfect combo for us.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I miss Sonic The Hedgehog. Bring back the Genesis!

guitar_sega_genesis.jpg

I may buy a Wii for my wife at some point this year if the money is around but with our son being so little and very unset in his sleep patterns it is so hard for us to find time to sit down at watch a movie let alone put in time on a game so I think it would be a waste.

The only time I get to game is after 9:30 when everybody is finally asleep and even then it is only for a few hours.

Back in the day I remember playing all weekend.

Last edited:

killem2

Coastermaker
That guitar cannot sound good. Unless that sega is gutted and made solid :p still however, pretty dang cool. LOL

Wimpyburger

Obliviot
Are we restricted to current gen?

If that's the case I'm an xbox 360 man. Oddly enough its the controller that does it for me. (PS3 controller just feels to cheap)

I'll admit, some ps3 exclusives look enticing enough to warrant a purchase of the machine.

In the back of my heart there will always be a soft spot for the Nintendo 64.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Are we restricted to current gen?

If that's the case I'm an xbox 360 man. Oddly enough its the controller that does it for me. (PS3 controller just feels to cheap)

I'll admit, some ps3 exclusives look enticing enough to warrant a purchase of the machine.

In the back of my heart there will always be a soft spot for the Nintendo 64.

No restrictions. I will have another Super Nintendo one of these days. I keep getting outbid on Ebay when I have the spare cash to get one. Super Mario Bros 1,2,3 are my all time favorites.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Why not just grab an emulator? I'm sure your PC is more than capable of running a Super Nintendo, then you just needs some roms, unless of course its the controller and full experience you want then I understand.

I would prefer the experience although I never considered an emulator.

If you can find one, get a Gen1 or Gen2 PSP and hack it with a custom firmware. Mine runs NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, and DOS emulators, and you can even run PSX isos on it.

Last edited:

Naish

E.M.I.
I'm a 360 guy myself, but nowadays I mostly play games on my PC with a 360 controller hooked up (unless it's a shooter, obviously).

killem2

Coastermaker
I'm a 360 guy myself, but nowadays I mostly play games on my PC with a 360 controller hooked up (unless it's a shooter, obviously).

In that case I'd use a hacked Super Scope!

j/k

No but really can you get a hacked super scope? >_>

Wimpyburger

Obliviot
ZSNES

I would prefer the experience although I never considered an emulator.

Just for the heck of it, me and my bud played some Mario Kart on a SNES emulator. Sure it doesn't quite feel the same, but it was fun. :)

As long as you have a controller, I hate sharing the keyboard.